PDA

View Full Version : gluing watercolor paper to board?

Ian Bruce
10-19-2006, 10:31 PM
I read somewhere (at least I think I did--it is a vague memory), that you can glue watercolor paper to MDF or Masonite with gloss medium. Has anyone tried this--and can you do it with a finished painting? I do not like framing behind glass. Until recently I painted in watercolor, and the glare and reflections off the glass really bugs me. Locally, in the Wyeth Museum and the Farnsworth Art Museum, there are Wyeth paintings that are useful as a mirror--should you wish to comb your hair or do your make-up--but are almost impossible to see as paintings because of the combination of dark paint, reflective glass and poor lighting. I have plenty of cold-pressed watercolor paper and like the surface. I would like to attach it to Masonite so that I can varnish the finished painting and frame it without glass. Any information on this would be much appreciated!

Enchanted
10-20-2006, 10:35 AM
While it's entirely possible to glue paper to a board, and to spray coat the finished painting with one of the aerosol acrylic varnishes, I'd recommend first investigating using "non-glare" glass for framing watercolors in the conventional manner.

:)

Charlie's Mum
10-20-2006, 03:25 PM
I don't think I'd varnish a water colour - prefer it under glass (non-reflective), it's better protected.

For acrylics though, the paper can be glued to board - I'd use a pva glue rather than a medium though ........ then varnish.

Ian Bruce
10-20-2006, 07:21 PM
I guess I wasn't quite clear. I wouldn't consider framing watercolors without glass (though it is being done). My watercolors are framed behind glass. I can't afford the non-reflective 'museum' glass and the cheaper non-reflective glass is not highly regarded. It is acrylics painted on watercolor paper that I would like to frame without glass. That is why I am considering gluing it to a board. Perhaps it is time I investigated various gessoed board surfaces. I understand that the gesso can be applied in a textured manner or sanded smooth. I do know, however, that many acrylic artists like cold-pressed watercolor paper. I assume that some of them do not use glass, but I don't actually know.

MandyB
10-20-2006, 10:00 PM
Hi Ian

I have glued acrylics on paper to masonite with gloss medium and haven't had any problems. Mostly I just paint on the board itself. :-)

mandy

Chloe_1
10-20-2006, 11:42 PM
Yes, I just recently did a painting on masonite board.
You can paint straight on it , which I did, or gesso it yourself..
You can apply as many coats as you wish.
I see what your getting at about how you wish to do your painting. I personally never tried gluing w/c paper on masonite board ; but am sure it's possible.
How would you hang the masonite board without a glass frame?
It is a thin board and the screws would have to be very tiny, unless you just want the finish painting against something.;-)))
Here is some interesting information that you might find useful
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227402

dreamz
10-21-2006, 12:38 AM
the only info Ive seen regarding using acrylic medium to attach paper to board is more like a decophage, a coat of medium, press the paper down and then another coat, I don't know if this would work over an already painted canvas/paper.

Have you considered a satin glaze medium as a top coating then matting and framing?

Richard Saylor
10-21-2006, 03:41 AM
There's no problem gluing watercolor paper to a board. Gloss medium will work fine. It is an excellent adhesive. (That's why it is so hard to remove acrylic paint after it has dried. The binder in the paint, which is essentially gloss medium, is what makes the paint stick.)

Acrylic polymer emulsion (acrylic medium) was used as an adhesive before it was used as a paint binder.

Richard

samhill
10-21-2006, 05:11 AM
Hello - I have done what you're thinking of, and it works fine. After some research I came up with the following.....make sure the massonite you want to glue on is gessoed with 2 coats (sanded smooth), and then I use 3M 77 spray adhesive, with a light coat to the back of the paper and the front of the gessoed board. Then, you can use spray varnish or brush varnish, then it's ready to frame when dry.

Oh, and I gesso my paper too, BTW, before I paint on it.....so I've never glued paper without gesso onto board, so dont know about that.....

Richard Saylor
10-21-2006, 07:10 AM
...Oh, and I gesso my paper too, BTW, before I paint on it.....so I've never glued paper without gesso onto board, so dont know about that.....That's a good idea about gessoing the board. Most gesso contains a buffer (calcium carbonate) which will help block any acidity from migrating to the paper. It is not necessary to gesso the paper unless one particularly likes a gesso surface for painting. The spray adhesive works as well with raw watercolor paper as with gessoed paper.

Richard

Charlie's Mum
10-21-2006, 08:47 AM
Just to add - about 40 years ago, I used to paint in oils and often on oil-paint paper, which I then glued to chipboard - pre mdf days! Those paintings are still in a good state - painted the edges black (the way Athena prints used to do them)......... they'd have been stuck with pva adhesive which, I think, is the same as Richard refers to ...... again, like the Marvin Medium we used in schools as glue, paint medium to make acrylic paints etc!

Enchanted
10-21-2006, 01:21 PM
I would recommend simply buying WATERCOLOR BOARDS (http://www.reuels.com/reuels/page587.html) if there is some desire to paint with acrylics on paper. Save yourself all the bother of having to cut paneling, gluing, etc.

:wink2:

samhill
10-21-2006, 05:07 PM
That's a good idea about gessoing the board. Most gesso contains a buffer (calcium carbonate) which will help block any acidity from migrating to the paper. It is not necessary to gesso the paper unless one particularly likes a gesso surface for painting. The spray adhesive works as well with raw watercolor paper as with gessoed paper.

Richard

[b]OB: Hi Richard, yes, it's for a buffer....as for the gesso on the paper, I just like the added texture and feel.

laudesan
10-21-2006, 10:43 PM
Click on the Learning Demo's in my signaute line and scroll down to Matting and framing There are some wonderful posts and threads there from Seedy and Rich Williams on this subject..:)

Like this one....................http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2698587&postcount=11

There are a heap more and well worth the read..:)

Cheers JJ