PDA

View Full Version : Harold Speed Club

Nickel
10-17-2006, 03:35 PM
Let's do Harold together.
I haven't read his book so please join me in a discussion.
Think of this sort of as a book review.

I'll start a thread for the introduction to the book today.
Will start my reading tonight.
If your ready to move along with another chapter,
go ahead please feel free to start a new thread for each chapter.

Photos/ your homework of sketches or practice
from his book are up to you.
Chats about your thoughts and questions are good.
I look forward to your thoughts and comments.
It's a fairly long book so no hurry to read really fast. ;)

Here is the link to the book:
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/14264

for those that wonder, I am using the html format.
the second choice on the link above, if your on dail-up, you might
want to choose the third one with the zip file to open the book.

And large images at ARC if you want to do studies or just look:
http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/art.asp?aid=1747

THE
PRACTICE & SCIENCE
OF
DRAWING
BY
HAROLD SPEED

Associť de la Sociťtť Nationale des Beaux-Arts, Paris;
Member of the Royal Society of Portrait Painters, &c.

CONTENTS

I. INTRODUCTION
II. DRAWING
III. VISION
IV. LINE DRAWING
V. MASS DRAWING
VI. THE ACADEMIC AND CONVENTIONAL
VII. THE STUDY OF DRAWING
VIII. LINE DRAWING: PRACTICAL
IX. MASS DRAWING: PRACTICAL
X. RHYTHM
XI. RHYTHM: VARIETY OF LINE
XII. RHYTHM: UNITY OF LINE
XIII. RHYTHM: VARIETY OF MASS
XIV. RHYTHM: UNITY OF MASS
XV. RHYTHM: BALANCE
XVI. RHYTHM: PROPORTION
XVII. PORTRAIT DRAWING
XVIII. THE VISUAL MEMORY
XIX. PROCEDURE
XX. MATERIALS
XXI. CONCLUSION
APPENDIX
INDEX

rosebard
10-17-2006, 04:20 PM
That is great Nickel! I have started reading this book once, but didnt conclude. So this may encorage me to continue reading. It is a pretty good book. I really liked what I read there so far.

I am in for Harold Speed Club! :)

bjs0704
10-17-2006, 04:22 PM
Hi Nickel - Great idea! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

(For those who want to get a "regular paperback" version of Harold Speed, I believe that Dover Books still sells them.)

Barb Solomon:cat:

Nickel
10-17-2006, 04:26 PM
Cool Rose, glad to have your company!
Thanks Barb for the tip on the paper copy.
It would be really nice to have, comp reading
wears on your eyes.
Hope you'll join us too! Nickel

tyree
10-17-2006, 04:33 PM
count me in nickel!!! tyree:smug:

Nickel
10-17-2006, 04:37 PM
Cool Susan, I'd love to have your company!

I just check amazon, http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0486228703/ref=dp_olp_2/002-7357108-7910444?ie=UTF8
cheapest copy there is 7.50 for a paper copy.

Remember, the online version is free.

Beautiful drawings in this book. I must savor with full delight
this book. :)

rosebard
10-17-2006, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the link in ARC Nickel. I love Harold work. I have heard his book about oil painting is great but the online version is not available yet. :(

Going to start reading it again today, promise. Pull my leg if I dont please! :D

tyree
10-17-2006, 05:32 PM
ive downloaded the book...now i have to try and find it...computers:mad: tyree

tyree
10-17-2006, 05:34 PM
hi rose...i miss you in our weekly drawings:crying: and that was a beautiful cake you made for our nickel for her b-day!!!! tyree

rosebard
10-17-2006, 07:06 PM
hi rose...i miss you in our weekly drawings:crying: and that was a beautiful cake you made for our nickel for her b-day!!!! tyree

You so sweet Susan! :heart: Missed it too. I am back on the journey check the last thread. :D :thumbsup:

Nickel
10-17-2006, 09:06 PM
Susan I did the same thing, couldn't find it and had to do it again.
Comps :( make life easier. lol

Rose you will look funny with extra long legs :)
Read. :)

rghirardi
10-18-2006, 10:12 AM
Haven't read it in years but just took it out. I've lost his book on painting, but I recall that it was interesting as well. Look forward to the discussions.

Nickel
10-18-2006, 11:06 AM
Rghirardi welcome nice to have you join us!

tyree
10-18-2006, 11:21 AM
jees nickel...takin' me forever to read the into:p tyree

Nickel
10-18-2006, 12:03 PM
I know Susan, lol, so much to digest when reading, good stuff, enjoy, I'll be here with you. I was going to print it off, take it and read in a comfy chair, jamed the printer, then proceeded to break it.....now I'm in hot water with somebody...must buy him a new one today.

jk4493
10-18-2006, 03:56 PM
Hello, Nickel and all,

I am delighted to join this club. I am a real Harold Speed fan. Have both the Drawing and Painting books...been a LONG time since I read (not quite finished) the drawing book - but I did devour his book on Painting. Perhaps that can be next... so count me in!

Nickel
10-18-2006, 05:40 PM
Hi JK4493, nice to meet you, and welcome!!!
It's my first time reading this book.
It's awesome! Can't wait to read what you all think.
Nickel

rohit
10-19-2006, 12:56 PM
hello all,

count me in.

have downloaded the book, but theres one problem. the pictures dont show in the window. is there a solution?

help please.

kind regards,
rohit

Nickel
10-19-2006, 01:09 PM
hello all,

count me in.

have downloaded the book, but theres one problem. the pictures dont show in the window. is there a solution?

help please.

kind regards,
rohit

Hi Rohit, did you download the plain text? I did the html version and got the pictures. Let me know. I think the first one is for like a palm or blueberry deal.
You got to have the pictures. They are beautiful!!!!

Here's the link to the first discussion thread. :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377144

Nickel
10-19-2006, 01:17 PM
It was a little difficult to get the book, lost it a few times myself or didn't get all the text the first time.
I wound up making a copy to windows document.

bjs0704
10-19-2006, 02:54 PM
By the way, some of you may want to check the other thread. We've posted our reactions and observations about the introduction to Harold Speed's book in this thread:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5054635#post5054635

I felt the same way when I read the book. Still, I found some interesting things to think about. I didn't always agree with Harold but, his ideas were worth considering. :)

I hope to see some of you over in the other thread! :wave:

tyree
10-19-2006, 10:23 PM
hello all,

count me in.

help please.

kind regards,
rohit nickel...im having the same problem..and i loaded the html too...tyree

Nickel
10-19-2006, 11:08 PM
hmmmm......I wonder I could post the pictures if you want.
It's normally easier to upload those books. This one seems a little difficult.

Nickel
10-19-2006, 11:20 PM
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/14264/

download the 14264-h zip and it has pictures.
Do you have a zip file to open it though?
Here is a 45 day free trial.
http://www.winzip.com/downwz.htm

rosebard
10-23-2006, 08:56 AM
I found this today. And start getting my leg long, havent had the time to read it yet. *embarrased*

http://learn-to-draw.creativespotlite.com/index.html#PREFACE

Nickel
10-23-2006, 12:15 PM
Thanks Rose for another link to Harold Speed's book.
Hope you get time to read and make some comments of your thoughts.
I am so looking forward to what everyone thinks.

I'm reading chapter two today.;)

Nickel

bjs0704
10-23-2006, 12:38 PM
Rose - That is a really good link to the book! The layout for the print and pictures look great!:thumbsup:

I notice that Nickel has threads set up for the first two sections - the preface and the introduction. I am hoping that someone posts to one of these threads. The author writes about what he feels that art should be. Iím curious what other peopleís reactions are and if anyone is puzzled about some of his ideas. Thereís no right or wrong here, since we are talking about opinions. And, different people see different things when they read.

Nickel - Iíll try to catch up to you today!:lol:

azulparsnip
10-27-2006, 10:17 AM
I would like to hang with ya'll on this, if I am able to. I will try and read the preface and intro today.

saintlukesguild
10-27-2006, 02:54 PM
Harold Speed? Never heard of him. Which makes him suspect at the outset. As for a Harold Speed Fan Club, I donno. For some reason I'm a little leery of anyone named Harold Speed. Speed is bad enough, but Harold should be a dentist or an insurance salesman. Something just doesn't ring right about a Harold writing a book on drawing. Imagine if you will a woman named Ludmilla Puckett writing a book on high fashion.

But I am flexible. I'll peep in from the wings to see how this plays out. In fact I just discovered this place today. Rainy day in Tennessee and my painting is in drying time and the damp and gloom is perfect for rumaging in the basements and attics of the Classical Forum. Found all sorts of stuff that pack rat Nickel has stored away.

Nickel... Now there's a name to savor. A name that wipes out science and goes straight to the realms of intuition and romance.

Nickel
10-27-2006, 06:02 PM
Azulparsnip welcome, come on and hang with us. :wave:
Luke, welcome too! :wave:
Not a fan club just yet.
Your question is good. Who is this Howard Speed?

If there's enough interest, will try to do some more books.

What I know, his book is written to help inform on the purpose of
learning academic technique.

Will we find il vero maestro Leonardo, the mirror doesn't lie?

Is it possible to learn how to express our emotions regarding humanity
in a figurative and representational way by reading this book?

Do we want to?

Anyone that reads this book is welcome to let us know what you think.

Nickel

bjs0704
10-27-2006, 07:02 PM
I mostly know Harold Speed because he wrote this book and another on oil painting. Iíve seen many recommendations on both books by many painting and drawing experts. Thatís enough reason to be a little curious about the books. It was written around 1913.

But, I went searching on the web and while I didnít find much about Harold, I did find a couple of references on the Tate Museum (in London) Website.

Hereís a short biography.
https://www.tate.org.uk/servlet/ArtistWorks?cgroupid=999999977&artistid=1974&page=1&sole=y&collab=y&attr=y&sort=default&tabview=bio

Hereís a painting.
http://www.tate.org.uk/servlet/ViewWork?cgroupid=999999977&workid=13664&searchid=13668

It would be nice to find more, but itís a start.

azulparsnip
10-28-2006, 06:38 PM
Yes, StLukesguild but the name harold speed could supply some great punning material!!!!

Sam Cree
11-01-2006, 08:29 PM
I'm going to try and participate in this thread a little bit...I own the Dover editions (not expensive) of both of Speed's books, the one on drawing and the one on painting, and have read both for the most part, and also done my best to put in practice much of what he says in them.

Very good books in my opinion, and ought to be a part of everyone's library who likes "classical" art.

I've also read (and own a paperback edition of) "The Painter in Oil" by Parkhurst (student of Bouguereau), written during the same era roughly. I'm surprised to say that I like Speed's "Oil Painting Techniques" better than the Parkhurst book by a fair margin.

bjs0704
11-01-2006, 08:33 PM
Sam - That would be great! I hope that you join us! I've had both books, too, but I'm enjoying working on them with the group!

rghirardi
11-02-2006, 12:08 PM
saintlukesguild

Is this the same saint luke from Cleveland? If so, I'm surprised you haven't heard of Speed, :) particularly having read so many of your postings on CanvasOrClay and elsewhere. You always seem to be so well-read.

saintlukesguild
11-02-2006, 04:25 PM
You are refering to my imitator. I'm the real Saintlukes Guild. And if I am not better read than he is I am more selective. Never heard of Harold Speed.

bjs0704
11-02-2006, 04:34 PM
It's always fun to have two "St.Lukes Guilds" in this forum. They aren't spelled the same. One fellow is named "Luke" and the other is "David".

Luke - It's great to see you here! I hope that you join us! Harold Speed's book is pretty good! :wave:

rghirardi - I believe that you are thinking of another fellow named David. He posts here from time to time.