PDA

View Full Version : Rain on my Window Pane

Dark_Shades
10-16-2006, 12:51 PM
I saw this image in the library and really liked alot, so much so I have attempted it twice!
For those who know me, know how much I hate to do green leaves and struggle with them so much......
Got so frustrated with myself and the useless greens I have (Dianna Ponting confirmed this on our workshop :D ) - I went online and bought a set of Unison Greens :eek: - I was quite shocked when I saw them lol
But I must confess, I am alot happier with this version using them - the only problem I have now is being able to take a day light photo, as the night time flash enhances the yellows....
ha ha ...... Bad workmen always blame their tools :evil: :wink2:

Wallis 9 x 12"
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Oct-2006/12116-Rain.jpg

Paula Ford
10-16-2006, 02:20 PM
...... Bad workmen always blame their tools....
:lol:

Dawn, This is just beautiful! I just love the dark, romantic feel of this beautiful rainy day!

Paula

AnnieA
10-16-2006, 02:22 PM
Hi Dark_Shades! :wave:

This is really quite nice. Those new green Unisons must have done the trick for you because the leaves in the piece seem really quite well done, even showing the translucent quality they get when light shines through them. The mood of the painting is great - the light quality is just right - and the rain on the windowpanes is well done too. Nice job!

I'm just so curious: why were you shocked when you opened the Unisons? Also, if you're using a digital camera, I think it's almost impossible to get the colors to read as well as they might with a film camera. I think it has something to do with the CCD, but I'm not certain. Perhaps the really high end cameras don't have this problem, but I know my little mid-range Nikon does - so don't blame yourself! :) We're painters, not photographers!

But you might find it helpful to take a range of pics at different settings, so then you can select the closest one (careful though, this approach will fill up your hard drive pretty quickly! :LOL:) ). Can you adjust the ISO, white balance and/or take a pic without flash? Any of those might help taking pics indoors, but don't ask me for details, cause I'm still learning about all that.

dbjs
10-16-2006, 02:23 PM
You've done very well! I like the soft light in it. And also the rain on the window. :)

M Douglas
10-16-2006, 02:39 PM
Beautiful painting Dawn, that is the sort of day when I love to stay in the studio and paint....now I want to go home and paint lol. The leaves are awesome, amazing what we can achieve when we have the proper tools. Great job on the rain hitting the window pane. Love it.

Melodie

*Violet*
10-16-2006, 03:22 PM
very pretty ...

Charles Perera
10-16-2006, 07:39 PM
This is indeed a good painting

charles

Mary Brigid
10-17-2006, 08:20 AM
A beautiful Painting dawn. Its just that kind of day here at the moment. Your rain drops are very well done. You must be very pleased with this. I love the unison greens. Where I live is green green green and more green so I use a lot of them. Well done again :thumbsup:

valchina612
10-17-2006, 10:27 AM
This is a beautiful painting, and I especially love the rain on the window pane. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

Nancy Leone
10-17-2006, 01:13 PM
Lovely!

JamieWG
10-17-2006, 01:30 PM
Dawn, this is so graceful and beautiful. I love the one red flower against the dark side of the background, and your greens are stunning! Congratulations in adding to your collection of greens. hehehe....Maybe they'll become your best friends now! It's really imperative to have some neutralized greens.

jamie

Dark_Shades
10-17-2006, 01:34 PM
Aww thank you all..... Paula.... Charles good to see you around again, thank you DBJ, Violeta.. aww thanks Val .. thank you Melodie .... yes I was quite pleased with the window, pane and rain :D - I tried to paint a window a year or so ago, and wasnt pleased with the result.... but a few paintings back something seemed to click.... and this one I wanted to try out some rain

Thank you Annie..... I dont know much about cameras either lol..... whats ISO.....Ive tried to manipulate in PSP, but dont know what Im doing in there either lol ... and can manage brighten and contrast, and thats about it :)
I live in a GreenBelt area, short walk away are Cricket and Rugby Fields, Golf Course and Farming areas........ short drive to work is just by the Town Park, full of trees - of a lunch I go up to the buildings roof top garden and overlook part of it...... the whole area and where I live has lots of trees - have always wanted to paint them, but dont know how..... and the lack of the 'right' looking greens has always stumped me lol ..
Ive taken a picture of the greens I got 19-36, the reason why I was shocked was they were so bright lol - but had a few dark greens from my 'Darks' Unison so plumped for this set....... but seeing the picture I think you will all realise the problem I having with the photography itself, as coming across very blue which isnt true at all ......
But....... I do feel alot happier to try and attempt something other things with leaves now :)

Thank you all ....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2006/12116-GreenColours.jpg

Dark_Shades
10-17-2006, 01:37 PM
Ohhhh cross posted......... hi Nancy.... thank you.....
Hey Jamie .... Ive been very naughty of late lolol ...... sssssh dont tell anyone, but I bought a set of Reds too ....... and A beautiful set of Mount Visons yellows.......... ohhh and um...... splashed out on Terry Ludwig darks...... so be prepared to see a colour theme going on
ha ha ha

JamieWG
10-17-2006, 02:02 PM
Ohhhh cross posted......... hi Nancy.... thank you.....
Hey Jamie .... Ive been very naughty of late lolol ...... sssssh dont tell anyone, but I bought a set of Reds too ....... and A beautiful set of Mount Visons yellows.......... ohhh and um...... splashed out on Terry Ludwig darks...... so be prepared to see a colour theme going on
ha ha ha

Hehehe...Okay, nobody's gonna hear about it from me! Are you ready for your membership in the Art Materials Acquisition Syndrome Society yet (AMASS)? :D

Jamie

Dark_Shades
10-17-2006, 02:26 PM
LOLOL Jamie...... ohhhh and Ive just 'fessed up in another thread.........to also buying a complete set of CarbOthello Pastel Pencils ... which I had also forgotten about

I guess am a fully fledged member :eek: :thumbsup:

meowmeow
10-17-2006, 02:43 PM
Don't know about the photo but I can see the painting is terrific. You did a great job on the window...no easy task. Great lights and darks going on.

I think you have to stop complaining about greens now....you have obviously conquered whatever difficulties you had. You'll have to complain about something else now! :D

Sandy

silverflagon
10-17-2006, 05:54 PM
That is a wonderful painting of rain on a window, and the leaves have turned out very natural looking :D

I have found that we try to imitate green with green, when if we stop and look long enough, there is more blue, yellow, blue greens than there is the green we have in our pastel selections, and adding a bit of red in some shaded places also helps.

Karen Margulis
10-17-2006, 05:56 PM
I agree with Sandy! You've got the greens down. Now how about a landscape with lots of trees!:D I really love the drama you've created in this painting too!

Karen

butterfly
10-17-2006, 06:07 PM
Hi Dawn:

Long time no hear from me ... been real busy with The Artists' Guild down here in sunny Florida ...and have been turning out some pictures ... (see my thread with which I am having trememdous problems) ... BUT ... you aren't this is just beautiful ... and I can see that you have conquered the "greens" ... I just love my Unison Pastels ....good being back on Wetcanvas ...

Lovely painting ....:clap:

Roni

prestonsega
10-17-2006, 06:22 PM
Dawn..I think you are my new pastel hero.......the unique composition works extremely well. I think this would make a good competition piece.

Bhavana Vijay
10-17-2006, 09:55 PM
Such a wonderful painting Dawn and that lone flower is exquisite!

Holley
10-18-2006, 07:38 AM
This is beautiful, I really like the window.

Nori
10-18-2006, 02:25 PM
So so lovely. I really like the dark light counterpoint. I had to doublecheck because your leaves ar so good I thought at first this was a photo.

Doogun
10-18-2006, 09:32 PM
Shades,
As always you are still showing off. It must be a British thing. Great work!!!
Larry

Dark_Shades
10-22-2006, 05:31 PM
Thank you all so very very much.......

You are all joshing me again about these leaves.........

awwww Preston, is that because I am buying so many :)

lolol Larry, you make me laugh........ thanks