PDA

View Full Version : Thatched Cottage with Country Garden

valchina612
10-16-2006, 10:57 AM
I finished this little painting today. I have a great love for Thatched Cottages and Cottage Gardens, so enjoyed painting this one. It is 7"x5" on Canvas Panel.
All C&C is very welcome and appreciated.

Val. :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Oct-2006/38312-Acrylics_--_Thatched_Cottage_16-10-06..jpg

amurphy
10-16-2006, 11:10 AM
This is very pretty...It think there needs to be a shadow on the right side of the door overhang or if its a porch entranceway the wall needs to be in shadow to define it.
Makes me think of afternoon tea and and all the nice goodies that go with it......

Audrey

valchina612
10-16-2006, 11:22 AM
Thankyou Audrey. You are so right -- as soon as I uploaded it I realised I had missed that shadow -- it stands out like a sore thumb. Shall put it in tomorrow considering it is midnight here now.

dreamz
10-16-2006, 07:15 PM
the roof eyebrows need some shadow to help form them and I have a bit of a question about shadowing both sides of the roof peek. Its a very charming scene

Lady Carol
10-16-2006, 07:20 PM
Hi Val, what a pretty painting.

valchina612
10-16-2006, 10:12 PM
Thanks dreamz and Carol.

I take your point/s dreamz, as I too was a bit amazed at the photo reference. I have always painted the roof eyebrows with shadow on the shadow side and highlight on the rasied bits, to show the roundness of that area, but this photo is just as I have portrayed it here in the painting. There is also shadow on both sides of the roof peak in the photo. I think I'm going to take some artist's licence and go back and do my own thing with these. I know I've followed the photo, but then again I'm not happy with the results.
This Image also isn't really true to colour, as it looks a lot brighter and happier than this photo shows IRL.

dreamz
10-16-2006, 10:24 PM
Maybe if you just tone down the shadow?

My daughter has been pestering me for a similer painting, hope you don't mind if I use this as a reference, of course I'll use LOTS of artistic license!

valchina612
10-16-2006, 10:31 PM
Go right ahead Doc. I'm sure yours will look a lot better than mine. I'm going to re-hash this one when I get the 50 thimbles finished that I'm slaving over at the moment. :eek: They're driving me batty, as I can't give the time to anything else that I'd rather be doing. (It's a Commission, so I'm really not complaining all that much. :lol: ).

dreamz
10-16-2006, 10:34 PM
thimbles? as in sewing thimbles?? lord a mercy.,, Id need a watchmakers visor!

valchina612
10-16-2006, 10:44 PM
Doc, they're Porcelain Thimbles -- 7/8" high. In the last five and a half years I've painted in excess of 3,000 of these little critters (er, gems) on bone china and porcelain. They are Collector's Items and there's a big demand for them. I use on-glaze china paints to paint them with and they have to be kiln-fired quite a number of times between the beginning blank thimble and the finished one. I've been teaching Porcelain Art for 25 years now, and the strangest thing I've been asked to paint on a thimble was Boy George -- I finally talked the girl in to going for something a little more easy on the eye. :lol: :lol:

gingery
10-16-2006, 11:32 PM
I think this is a charming painting.:thumbsup: Wish I lived inside!
ginger

Cherylyn Gaiter
10-16-2006, 11:41 PM
Hi Val :wave: , I love this thatched cottage painting. It reminds me of the villages in England. My family and I used to go to Cornwall, Devon for the holidays, and there were all these sorts of cottages in the villages. I really like it.

How many thimbles ???? You must have the patience of a saint Val. Do you actually use different eye glasses to paint these little critters or have you just got very good eye sight ? Do you think you could upload a couple for people to see just how tiny the painting would be. I can't believe you have done so many, it's amazing.

Cherylyn :)

gurleygirl
10-17-2006, 12:22 AM
This is so pretty! I love it.
Tracey

spiral_world
10-17-2006, 02:26 AM
what a romantic place .... wish I can live somwere like this place
very nice picture:clap:
Dragica

valchina612
10-17-2006, 06:26 AM
Thankyou so much ginger, Cherylyn, Tracey and Dragica for your very kind comments. Cherrylyn, if I can get a copy of a couple of thimbles I will post them in this Thread, but I'm having trouble with being able to get copies at the moment. I don't use special glasses or a magnifying glass. I do wear bi-focals and can paint really well with those, and I also have computer glasses and they work well also. I do have glaucoma, so it really does surprise me too that I can see so well with these tiny little bits of porcelain. Am so thankful that I can.

idcrisis55
10-17-2006, 08:21 AM
Val, I really like your cottage and am especially delighted by your trees/shrubbery. Nice work.

Ann

Charlie's Mum
10-17-2006, 11:24 AM
I was about to say - "Almost another miniature Val" - then I read you'd been doing lots of thimbles again, so this is a giant in comparison! :lol:

I know you love these cottages, so when I find some, they'll be coming your way, cos if you're not English, it's definitely there in the genes somewhere !!!!!!!!!

Charming :D

TxAggieDarlin
10-17-2006, 12:26 PM
Very nice and warm feeling

valchina612
10-18-2006, 01:07 AM
Ann -- Thanks so much for your very kind comments. I'm really glad you like the trees and shubbery.

Maureen -- Thanks Maureen, and yes, it is a small format painting, but quite a giant compared to all of those thimbles. Have just finished packing the thimbles ready to post away overseas, so I can breathe a bit more easily now. Oh, I would love some Ref. Images of Thatched Cottages -- I just adore them to bits. Thankyou so very much for the offer. I do have some English blood in my body. I'm 50% English, 25% Scottish and 25% Danish (waaaay back). I have also been to England and Scotland many years ago (before I started painting boo-hoo), and I'd just love to go back and take millions of photos. Thanks again Maureen.

TxAggieDarlin -- Thankyou so much for your kind comment.

Cherylyn asked for a couple of photos of my thimbles, so here are three. The perspective in the first one isn't "off", it's the curve of the thimble that makes it look like that. And it's much bigger than the actual size. If I posted them actual size, you'd have a job to see the design.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2006/38312-ebay_--_12-6-06_Snow_Scene_Christmas_Thimble_with_Cottage__Holly_around_border..jpg

Friendshop Knot Thimble from a Series of 18 Patchwork Design Thimbles that I've done.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2006/38312-ebay_--_Friendship_Knot_Thimble_front.jpg

Done entirely in Gold.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2006/38312-ebay_--_Gold_and_White_Daisy_and_Cornelli_Thimble_--_SMALLER.jpg

rmc
10-18-2006, 08:15 AM
Hi Val, this is a charming cottage - will show it to Alex, my daughter in the morning, she has taken a real shine to the lady with the beautiful painting!!!! (must be some reflected glory as she adores being called beautiful. lol)

valchina612
10-18-2006, 07:48 PM
Hi Ruth,

Bless your little girl's beautiful heart. :heart: Not only is she a beautiful little girl, she has a beautiful name -- I always wanted a daughter so I could name her Alexandra. We added Alexander to our son's name, giving him three names instead.