PDA

View Full Version : Australian Sturt Pea flower

Cherylyn Gaiter
10-16-2006, 06:22 AM
Hi Guys, A few weeks ago I uploaded a sturt pea that I did in Acrylic. It was my first go at acrylic and I wanted to do my sister a painting of an Australian Sturt Pea flower for her birthday as she loves the flower. The first sturt pea was a practice before I started the real thing. This one is on canvas 60cm x 30cm. I first did a black and white underpainting. I had a look at Bill Martin's class and thought I would have a go at this method. It was very time consuming but worth it just for the experience. The glazing took forever and isn't perfect, but not bad for a first try I guess. Anyway, hope you like my first try at glazing and underpainting in Acrylic and C & C welcome. I have also attached the black and white painting before colour was added.

Thank you so much for looking

Cherylyn

valchina612
10-16-2006, 06:40 AM
Hi Cherylyn,

WOW, this is a fantastic painting and the Sturt Peas are so beautifully done. And I adore your background. I am so pleased you have painted these, as they're not easy to do, and you have done a super job of them. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

dreamz
10-16-2006, 06:55 AM
I have no idea what its supposed to look like but its very pretty

cookiem
10-16-2006, 08:35 AM
OH! This is absolutely WONDERFUL :clap: :clap: :clap:

The underpainting is brilliant - so moody and smoky looking. And the glazing :thumbsup: I am just applauding you. Brilliant!!

Your sister will think it is the best present she ever got! This is certainly the gift that will keep on giving. Well done!!

Cath

Cherylyn Gaiter
10-16-2006, 08:40 AM
Hi Val :wave: , Thanks for commenting on my painting. I did find it quite difficult to do. At one stage I thought I had bitten off more than I could chew, but it sort of worked in the end.

Dreamz, thanks for looking at my painting. They are a beautiful flower and they grow in the red soil here in Australia. They used to be wide spread, but are only in a few area's now. I live in the far west of australia and we are very lucky to have them growing wild here. I even have some in a pot at home.

Cherylyn :)

amurphy
10-16-2006, 09:31 AM
You did a great job. I too have one idea what the flower, is but I am going to google it for a photo. They seem really interesting.... Any relation to the "Pea" plant itself?

Audrey

Cherylyn Gaiter
10-16-2006, 10:02 AM
Hi Cath :wave: , thankyou for your kind comments, much appreciated. I will be giving it to my sister when she comes to visit in a couple of weeks. I'm sure she will like it.

Cherylyn

Audrey, there is a google site on the sturt pea, and they have some great photo's. One of the sites is where I actually got the photo from to do my painting. It was a great photo and really showed the detail. They are a beautiful flower and very unusual. I am not sure if they are related to the "pea plant", but I'm sure you will find out on google. Thanks for looking at my painting and the nice comments.

Cherylyn :thumbsup:

spiral_world
10-16-2006, 12:11 PM
I've never seen this flower but picture looks very impressive :clap: :clap:
Dragica

Margaret 59
10-16-2006, 06:44 PM
Nice job and I love the background.

dreamz
10-16-2006, 06:48 PM
One of the greatest things about WC is exploring the world through other artists eyes

Lady Carol
10-16-2006, 07:16 PM
You've caught Sturt's Desert Pea (I believe this is the full name of this flower) so wonderfully. It has such a waxy appearance which you have portrayed well. Nicely done!!!

Incidentally, yes the underpainting is suppose to take the longest of all the painting process.

Cherylyn Gaiter
10-16-2006, 11:04 PM
Hi there, Well thankyou Dragica,Margaret and Dreamz for the nice comments I appreciate them very much.

Carol, That is a really nice compliment coming from such an excellent artist like yourself. I have seen your work and followed your WIP of the protea. BOY!! are you good. I was blown away with that WIP and that WIP also inspired me to do this Sturt Desert Pea. I thank you for that. Also Bill Martin for his work shop. Without WC I wouldn't have tried half of the technique's that I now work with. Thanks again :thumbsup:

Cherylyn

Lady Carol
10-16-2006, 11:43 PM
Hi there, Well thankyou Dragica,Margaret and Dreamz for the nice comments I appreciate them very much.

Carol, That is a really nice compliment coming from such an excellent artist like yourself. I have seen your work and followed your WIP of the protea. BOY!! are you good. I was blown away with that WIP and that WIP also inspired me to do this Sturt Desert Pea. I thank you for that. Also Bill Martin for his work shop. Without WC I wouldn't have tried half of the technique's that I now work with. Thanks again :thumbsup:

Cherylyn
*Furiously blushing* Umm!!! I would love to take all the compliments for the protea but I believe Elaine did that one. I am not even half as good as Elaine. ;)

laudesan
10-17-2006, 01:39 AM
Your Sturt's Desert Pea is really beautiful!!

I have not tried the black and white underpainting technique before, can you explain why it makes a difference please?

JJ

mrs willow
10-17-2006, 06:53 AM
Great work Cherylyn:thumbsup: the Sturt Desert Pea is a beautiful and unique flowering plant. You have done it proud!
JJ ... the underpainting establishes the tonal variations. The colour glazes do just that ie...add the the colour and depth to the work.
It is a rewarding exercise to use this technique using acrylics.
Sandy

Cherylyn Gaiter
10-17-2006, 10:46 AM
Hi Carol, I got a little mixed up their regarding the protea. It really was a great WIP, so thanks Elaine if your around this forum.

Thanks JJ for your comments.

Hi Sandy, thanks for the compliment and also explaining the advantage of doing the tonal underpainting. JJ you should try this technique I think you would enjoy giving it a go.

Cherylyn

Charlie's Mum
10-17-2006, 11:05 AM
The colours and glow in this are superb - altogether a very nice painting, and the under/p'ing and glazing have worked well.

Don't know if any of the following is meant, but, I see (almost) little gremlin type creatures in this flower ............ hope they aren't naughty!!!!!!!!
And I really do like the abstract shapes suggested in the background.

Haven't read any replies above, so don't know if it's just me! :D

Nice work :thumbsup:

Edit: for JJ and anyone else - we have an underpaintting Classroom thread in the Information Kiosk here :D :D

TxAggieDarlin
10-17-2006, 12:28 PM
I don't know this flower, but it is pretty

laudesan
10-17-2006, 11:50 PM
Edit: for JJ and anyone else - we have an underpaintting Classroom thread in the Information Kiosk here :D :DGoing to check it out now..