PDA

View Full Version : Colourfix question

bruce johnson
10-15-2006, 08:15 PM
Hi guys

Yesterday I started my first pastel sunset landscape... I had my new Art Spectrum pastels and a sheet of Art Spectrum colourfix paper. I spent all day working on the sunset... it was looking quite good and I went to bed satisfied..; However this morning when I got up there was a fine film of pastel dust all over the painting, all the detail on the paiting had fall off and the painting just looks like a big blob of colour...
Has this ever happpend to anyone before. Should I have sprayed it with fixative as i go...

Bringer
10-15-2006, 09:32 PM
Hi,

Is it possible that someone or a pet might have touched it ?
Were the details made lightly and with a very soft pastel ?
The pastel will rub off from Colourfix, but fall by itself it's not a common thing.
Was the work left tilted backward or forward ? Although I think if it was forward it would fall into the easel's tray or floor and just a bit of the dust would have stayed on the work.
I've never thought about this, but could it be that there may be some incompatibility in terms of adhesion between some brands of pastel ?

Kind regards,

Josť

chewie
10-15-2006, 10:07 PM
i agree with jose that something had to have caused the damage. i've worked with those supplies for some time now, and have no issues. i rarely spray either, just a good thump on the back of the painting board during my work-time, to dislodge any loose particles. i don't have any troubles either with mixing brands, as long as they are all top grade and not 'student or economy'. without being in your studio on watch, i couldn't guess at what could've caused this!

bruce johnson
10-16-2006, 04:12 AM
Hmmmmmmm......thanks guys.... I'm stumped. we don't have pets... so its not that....I did use a synthetic brush to blend a lot of the area.... maybe its got something to do with static electricity...::confused:

scall0way
10-16-2006, 03:01 PM
Weird, I've never tried the Art Spectrum pastels, but I love the Art Spectrum Colourfix paper. If they made it in a good size I would never use anything else! I've *never* had a problem such as you describe. I've never used fixitive either. I can't even guess.

johndill01
10-17-2006, 10:04 PM
I also use AS paper quite frequently and have never had this problem. I did have that problem with suede paper when I give the back of the paper a good thump. Always mount my paper now on foamcore before painting. Even Wallis paper. A good thump will dislodge the dust but not the painting. It might well be a case of static buildup by using the blending brush, which is something that I seldom use. A Viva brush or a finger are my favorite blending tools.

John

K Taylor-Green
10-17-2006, 11:40 PM
Well, Bruce, this is a mystery! I, too, have never had a problem of this sort with my colorfix. Not that I don't have extra dust, I just don't lose the details of the pieces I do.

Katherine T
10-18-2006, 06:24 AM
One sort of coloured pencil used on colourfix falls off (but I| forget which as it's not a problem I have had). but I can't imagine Colourfix pastels used with Colourfix Board would be a problem - unless maybe there's a problem with the mix and they're faulty pastels.

Maybe do a test piece with another piece of colourfix but this time do not introduce anything else (brush etc) and see what happens.

Bhavana Vijay
10-18-2006, 02:22 PM
I had a framed painting, done on colourfix with not really good pastels, fall from about 6 feet high. It hit the counter, took a turn and fell on the ground. Nothing happened to the painting, thank god! Even the mat was clean. I on the other hand had my heart in my hand for a bit!:rolleyes:

Donna A
10-27-2006, 10:38 PM
Hi guys

Yesterday I started my first pastel sunset landscape... I had my new Art Spectrum pastels and a sheet of Art Spectrum colourfix paper. I spent all day working on the sunset... it was looking quite good and I went to bed satisfied..; However this morning when I got up there was a fine film of pastel dust all over the painting, all the detail on the paiting had fall off and the painting just looks like a big blob of colour...
Has this ever happpend to anyone before. Should I have sprayed it with fixative as i go...

Hi,

Is it possible that someone or a pet might have touched it ?
Were the details made lightly and with a very soft pastel ?
The pastel will rub off from Colourfix, but fall by itself it's not a common thing.
Was the work left tilted backward or forward ? Although I think if it was forward it would fall into the easel's tray or floor and just a bit of the dust would have stayed on the work.
I've never thought about this, but could it be that there may be some incompatibility in terms of adhesion between some brands of pastel ?
Kind regards,
Josť

Hi, Bruce and Josť! First, Josť, I have never seen any evidence of incompatibility in adhesion between various brands of pastels, working with most all of 24 or 25 pro brands from around the world, about 4700 different sticks.

Bruce, you have got to have gremlins---four-legged or otherwise. OK---just re-read. No four-legged gremlins. Hmmm. I've been using Art Spectrums since 1998 and the Colourfix since 1999 (had to special order them back then!) and zero problem, even using AS pastels for 75% to 80% of my work, pretty much always on Colourfix since I discovered it! Check for another culprit. You are using the most marvelous materials!!! At least, that is my experience of several decades!!!

And you are right there in the "home town" of Art Spectrum!!! Wonderful! Lucky person!!! A beautiful place!!!

Do be detective to figure out what happened. Very strange. I have not heard of this happening to anyone in any of the pastels societies or the artists who study with me, etc. Hmmmm!

I do not like the idea of using a brush with pastels! I know many people do it, but it gets the pigment airborn, which is the one great thing we do NOT want to do when pastel painting!!! I don't know how that could have changed your painting overnight, but there are better ways of blending when someone feels compelled to blend. I'm going to upload a pdf file I wrote several years ago for one of the IAPS conventions about "Removing Pastels." There might be some interesting comments there for you and others.

http://www.aldridgestudios.com/610-Fixative.html This is a page about using Fixative. More info which might be of use. No, I don't think you "should have" necessarily sprayed your painting before you quit for the night. I do like to spray a bit of fix when I've built up some "healthy" layers. And if used "correctly" we don't need to have our pastel paintings darkened by fix. Unless we are trying to darken a particular area, which can be quite useful in certain cases!!!

Keep us posted about your fascinating happening. For now---try taking the painting outside and thump on the back of it to see if you can knock off any of the powdery invasion. This has to be soooo frustrating!!!

You might check out the WC thread on glassine. You could make a protective cover for your paintings when you are not working on it. But---I have left pastel paintings uncovered, unprotected on my pastel easel for----longer than I like to admit!!! Weeks---months sometimes when I've been ill or working on some oil pieces on the oil easel. Nothing ever happens to them---even with my two naughty black cats who have loved living in the painting studio part of the house. Very best wishes!!! I hope all goes well for you, Bruce! Donna ;-} ps--I've also uploaded a bit on splicing Colourfix incase the need ever arises, as it did for me. D :-}

prettytulips
10-27-2006, 11:10 PM
I think it's possible that using a brush made the pastel airborn and as it settled over night, landed on your painting. Pastel dust when airborn is tricky.

Donna A
10-27-2006, 11:18 PM
I think it's possible that using a brush made the pastel airborn and as it settled over night, landed on your painting. Pastel dust when airborn is tricky.

You have a great point there, prettytulips!!! That surely could be!!! Very good thought! Donna ;-}

cairns nomad
11-01-2006, 12:13 AM
Have to admit to using AS colourfix for all my pastel art, also love AS pastels. Never had a problem with them. I like to paint thickly, really cover the surface, hardly ever use a fixative. Just a bump on the back to dislodge dust. Always paint from top left diagonally down to keep my hands away, dust in the air is a problem. Use a paper tray beneath the painting to catch falling dust. Avatar is one of my paintings.