PDA

View Full Version : Mother Goose

Diana Lee
10-15-2006, 12:01 PM
This is scratchboard ink on an 11 x 14 smooth claybord. I think I posted this some months back, but I can't remember where.

I live in a small city so I am reliant on the Wetcanvas reference library for animal photos, and I am particularly fond of Cathy's contributions. If she wasn't such a great artist she could make it on her photography alone.

I am including a detail of the mother's feathers so you can see how I have scratched, painted over the scratches, and then scratched again.

I did the upper background with a watered down black with a bit of green in it and then I used steel wool. I am trying to branch out from the black background. The advantages of painting your own is you can still have a very dark background if you want, but it can be a very dark green or brown. Or you can use a light backgrond.

Diana

WaitingforJesus
10-15-2006, 12:09 PM
Diana..
This is great! Wonderful detail.
Thanks for sharing!

Kay

Bertoni
10-15-2006, 02:38 PM
Diana:
Excellent work!:clap: If you taught a class, I'd want to attend. Have learned so much already from your postings! Looking forward to that book!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diana Lee
10-17-2006, 01:48 AM
I want to include some details of the front gosling going through the different stages of scratching and painting.

Diana

karenelkan
10-17-2006, 10:45 AM
Lovely work. I like everything about it!

Dave Slaughter
10-17-2006, 12:02 PM
Whatever you do, don't quit posting. I'm getting a lot out of this.

Jakeally
10-17-2006, 02:02 PM
Superb feather work on this Diana. An absolute delight to see:clap: :clap: :clap:

Diana Lee
10-17-2006, 02:18 PM
Thanks people. I realize the scratches look pretty big, but the gosling is only about two inches high so he is blown up quite a bit. I made a record of the palette mix I used for this piece if there is any interest.

Diana

Jakeally
10-17-2006, 02:28 PM
Yes please Diana. You have a lovely mix of greens in there and I would love to know the palette.

Diana Lee
10-17-2006, 02:55 PM
I used the scratchboard inks. For the upper background I used two colors, the first is watered down black, the second is three drops of black and two drops of green watered down. For the lower background (the grass) I used four drops of green, one drop of red and one drop of sepia in various degrees of dilution, the darker greens have an extra drop of green and sepia and then watered down. For the mother goose feathers I used Black straight and watered down. The formula for the brown feathers is four drops of sepia, one drop of red, and one drop of yellow very watered down. I also used sepia in various degrees of dilution. For the babies I used two drops of yellow and two drops of sepia watered down, black and sepia watered down to various degrees of dilution.
I always keep a scrap piece of board handy to test my colors before I put it on the main piece. It is hard for me to tell, when using ink, what the color will look like until I see it on a board.

Diana

Mary Woodul
10-17-2006, 03:02 PM
Fantastic work, Diana. So precise and beautifully colored.

WaitingforJesus
10-17-2006, 07:02 PM
Diana,
Thanks for sharing more of your techinique and posting your "recipes" I hope you share more. It is really helpful!

Kay

Jakeally
10-18-2006, 03:29 AM
Thank you so much Diana. Very helpful indeed:clap: :clap:

TrickyV
10-24-2006, 10:29 AM
Diana....What a wonderful piece of work ! I am sooo jellous of your talent and patience. ...........Victor........:thumbsup: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

loggah
11-13-2006, 10:10 PM
Really excellent work. The color is wonderful. Looking forward to the finished product.

Bertoni
11-14-2006, 06:21 AM
Diana:
I just first noticed that background concept you mentioned on the smooth claybord!!!! I'm excited about that!
I guess I never thought of establishing the background with the Claybord inks first and then going to town with scratch!!!!
How is the book going????????? I'm ready to buy one!!

Diana Lee
02-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Patrick...I am posting this for you, looks like I first posted this in '06. I wanted to add new scans of the mom because my new scanner is so much more accurate with color.

Diana

klricca
02-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Beautiful work, as usual. I keep catching hints that you are working on a book. Can't wait for it, as from your work I've seen in the forums and your website, it has to be wonderful.

Celticelf
02-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Diana - new scanner? It is lovely copy of a gorgeous work. What kind did you get? :) (Also, please tell HUBBY your audience is waiting with bated breath.)

PatrickHedges
02-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Diana, you've been brilliant forever :clap:

Ok, this was only two years ago, but still, you know what I mean. That is magnificent.

Garbonzo
02-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Diana, this is really great, the feather detail is so inspirational for me and the grass is so well done too. I'm very appreciative that you share your process.