PDA

View Full Version : Desperate for answers about MAC to PC tiffs

Elainepsq
10-15-2006, 01:04 AM
I am doing a freelance job and need to send ads to someone who is putting a magazine together in Corel Draw. I'm working on MAC 10.4 in Adobe CS2. they have been getting my pdfs fine, but requested tiffs, for the finished ads. When I send the tiffs, I'm saving them in PS as IBM bytes with zip compression (they need to be emailed under 5mb) I am then compressing them further with a program I found on version tracker.com called Compactor. They said on the PC the color is missing, and there are lines thru the ads, but I don't know what program they are opening them in at this time, it is not Corel Draw. They have decided that MAC and PC files are not compatible and that they've had this problem in the past. this sounds crazy to me, I've never had problems sending files to anyone else.
Does anyone have any idea what is going wrong???? I don't understand why he can't take PDFs. Does Corel Draw not accept PDFS?????
Please help!!!!!

madster
10-15-2006, 04:26 AM
Part of the problem is you are using some free program found online to handle and compress valuable files...you get what you pay for, which is why PS is the best app for image editing...

A SIMPLE web search with the keywords "Corel Draw open .pdf?" provides this... (http://www.prepressure.com/pdf/apps/coreldraw.htm)

He can't take .pdfs, because he may not be experienced enough to work with them in Corel Draw. The fact he is even using Corel draw says something in itself...

Also, why can't you send them as .zip files?

~M

barryt
10-15-2006, 06:15 AM
Yes don't use an unknown app to compress. It may work on your own commputer when you decompress using the same app, but it can lead to problems when you send them to someone else.

Einion
10-15-2006, 06:27 AM
When I send the tiffs, I'm saving them in PS as IBM bytes with zip compression (they need to be emailed under 5mb) I am then compressing them further with a program I found on version tracker.com called Compactor. They said on the PC the color is missing, and there are lines thru the ads.... Does anyone have any idea what is going wrong????
One guess is that in order to further compress a zipped TIFF file the program you used is throwing away data, or compromising it in some way. First thing to do would be to uncompress the files yourself and look at them in Photoshop; if they look as they describe then you know where the problem lies :)

On the other hand if they appear to be unchanged on your end then the problem is on his and you'll have to figure out something. How is he uncompressing the files when he gets them, with a PC copy of Compactor?

If it turns out to be your only option it wouldn't be the worst thing if you had to resave the images as JPEGs with the quality setting at 9 or 10; I would be extremely surprised if they're not smaller than 5 megs! The client can then resave them himself as TIFFs or whatever format he needs. It's more work on his end but it's a workaround at least.

You shouldn't be able to spot any real changes in the final printed images with only that amount of compression (as illustrated in the Photoshop manuals). Here's a 500 x 500 pixel sample of a JPEG I have here; the full image is less than 1 meg even though it's 3200 x 4000 and there's plenty of subject detail:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a252/Einion/Eye_Resave.png

As you can see there are no apparent JPEG artefacts to worry about http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2003/3842-thumbsup.gif

Einion

Elainepsq
10-15-2006, 12:16 PM
Thanks guys. I unziped the file myself and it looks fine on my computer. I know the problem is on their end. I have always used stuffit, and was surprised that I can't find it on my computer anymore! I've upgraded to OS10.4, and have found unstuff, but not stuffit, I went to versiontracker.com and tried something free, because I needed something quick. I have no idea what they have on their end, I had to explain to them what a zip file was and told them to try clicking on it to see if something on their computer would decompress it. The biggest problem is that they don't know, aren't using the best software, and are blaming it on being a MAC problem! Which infuriates me. It represents a big chunk of future freelance work, so I need to make it work this time, and eventually, I will be producing the whole thing and not have to send these files.
I found someone on live chat last night you said to try no compression or lzw compression. I may just have to burn a disc and overnight it to them.
At think at this point, I'd rather pay for it, than argue over MAC incompatibility!!!!!!