PDA

View Full Version : Exchange your ideas!!!!

trevorjim
03-27-2002, 01:35 PM
Hi everyone,

Wetcanvas member T-Rex started a fantastic thread in the Watercolor forum called " Cool stuff you've discovered and enjoyed using " It has some fantastic ideas and alot of response from other members.

I thought "why not on the acrylic forum?!?" So here it goes.

1/ Using a glass palette - I've used the palette paper style for a few years and found that I used my palette knife to clean the paper of old paint rather than dispose of everything on the sheet including the good usable paint.

The glass idea is great if you find yourself in the same situation. It does have one down side however, dried paint will stick to paper not on glass and you may end up with flakes of dried paint in your good mixture.

2/ W&N Galeria paint brushes - I bought a few a couple of weeks ago and find them to be my new favorites. Great feel in your hand and more importantly the bristles have more spring than other brushes i've used. Just what I needed for detail and control.

3/ Paint tube squeezer - I bought mine from Cheap Joe's. Save yourself alot of money by purchasing one of these thing-a-magiggies. It just clamps down on the crimped end of the tube and pushes the paint forward. Only $9.99.

That is about it for now. If I can remember anything else I will post it later.

So everyone please add a few tidbits from your vast wealth of knowledge. I'm sure it will greatly appreciated by alot of members!

Thanks

Trevor

Calimade
03-27-2002, 02:43 PM
Trevor great idea! Since I'm one of the "newbies" not only in this forum...but painting in general...I really can't answer your question. You gave me some good products to look into. I'm looking forward to hearing from more of the members to see what else I can get my hands on and start buying. ;)
Maybe you can tell me of some good places that sell quality painting products at a reasonable price?? I've been to the Dick Blick site and the prices seem ok. I've been to the store Micheals and they have a wide variety of painting brushes some not so expensive and some expensive. As sorry as it is to say I only have 5 brushes. Since I'm justing starting out I really don't want to buy the more "expensive" materials and ect.. until I'm comfortable with painting. Well enough of my babbling...:o I'll let some more of you jump in and answer Trevors question.

~Cj~

kitaye
03-31-2002, 02:31 AM
GreatIdea...

1)-Storing tube paints...I found a set of three drawers at IKEA that work great for holding tube paints. The drawers are 2 inches deep and wide enough that you can lay 7 tubes side by side(placed head to tail), two rows to the drawer. I found the drawers were also great for storing brushes, and small ceramic pallets away from teething children and animals. The drawers are raw wood and don't cost very much.

2)-Stretching 300lb watercolour paper helps to keep the paper from buckling when you use it with acrylic paints/inks.

3)-A light coloured stoneware dinner plate from the local Goodwill makes an awsome pallet. It's waterproof and the dried paint just washes off no with problems.

4)-Instead of using a brush to lay frisket, use an old quill pen or caligraphy nibs made for drawing. The well will hold the frisket, the sharp point will give you nice hard lines, and the dried frisket peels off with no hassle.

Caron
03-31-2002, 12:10 PM
Spritzing my palette every so often will keep paint moist. (I use boiled water from the kettle)
If leaving the palette(say for dinner!) laying a thin layer of papertowel over it and spraying it till its quit damp will keep it fresh till you return.
If Im working on a painting that will take more then a day to complete, I place my palette on a cookie sheet. I can cover it with another cookie sheet over the layer of papertowel, and keep in the fridge overnight will keep it fresh for the next day.
Cheap brushes from (White Rose here in Canada- a 1" brush can cost you $4) are very stiff and good for texture and when wrecked are cheap to replace.
Old brushes are great for dry brushing!!
Stapling canvas to a board like you do for watercolor and then taping the edges, makes a nice crisp border on your painting. Then you can display your painting with a touch of white framing it-good area to include a subjects name or personal signature.

hlee
03-31-2002, 12:51 PM
Neat thing to do, Trevor! Learning from each other what works well (and what may not) ...

1) I've now resorted to using plastic knives for spooning out paint. Clean themselves well just by scraping them with each other, and more environmentally friendly than using paper scoopulas or chopsticks! :D

2) Storing larger batches of paint mixed in food containers, and smaller ones or "samples" in mini sauce containers help a bit, especially if you wanna come back a few weeks later to them. Both sizes are transparent, so you can at least see what's inside before you open it. Very handy if the paint's really old, or if the labels are the ones mixed up.

3) The cheap plastic palettes work nicely, since the globs of acrylic peel off easily when dried. Only thing is, depending on the shape of it, it might make it a bit difficult to put cling wrap over it, like it doesn't really stick to plastic already. Moisten the bottom of it with a little water, maybe.

Andrew
04-01-2002, 11:23 AM
Life is full of little experiments.

1) This first one I learned from my dad who used it doing his model airplanes (the ones that really fly). Rubber Cement - Instead of masking fluid. Lay the pattern you want on a piece of wax paper and let it set. Since it stays tacky, lay the rubber cement against the support and rub on the waxpaper with a blunt object (I use the arse end of a drawing pencil). Then peel the wax paper away. Trim as necessary with a x-acto blade. Since the rubber cement isn't liquid, it doesn't seep into the pores of the support, making it terrific for canvas or rough WC paper, and lifts off like a charm, with no rubbing or abrading of the surface. I use this for Watercolors too.

2. For long paintings, I use a palette made of a shallow Rubbermaid (tm) container. I painted the bottom (outside) white, and lined the lid with o-cello (tm) sponges. By spritzing the paints with water (or 50:50 medium and water) and keeping the sponges damp, I can keep my paints fluid for 7-10 days. If I have large quantities of mixed paint that I need to keep for a work, I use those little disposible plastic cups (like Dixie (tm)), and scoop the paint inside. I ease on a layer of water on top being careful not to mix, and cover with plastic wrap. I just decant the water to paint. I have kept colors fluid for over a month that way.

Andrew

Bendaini
04-01-2002, 05:49 PM
What a great thread....

My suggestion is not to always stick with the basics (ie paint and brushes). Don't be afraid to experiment. If you dont want to wast "good" paper then use some old drawing paper with gesso on it and go from there.

Some things to try... rolled up news paper, paper towel to dab off paint and get a marbleized look, sponge brush, sparkles, marble powder, glass beads, string, confettie, plastic or silk flowers..... Make something stand out and be 3d if you like :D

I use a glass plate for a palate that cleans off pretty well. If your worried about flakes of dry paint just wash it offten :)

trevorjim
04-01-2002, 08:17 PM
Hi all,

I'm glad to see that a few people have started to share some not-so-common knowledge.

Here is the watercolor thread if anyone is interested.

<www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20408>

To date they have 141 replies. The acrylic forum should be able to top that for sure!!

Thanks again for the great info.

Trevor

Drumbeat-trish
04-04-2002, 04:02 PM
Thanks for starting this Trevor:) I'm too new to painting to have any hints yet. I did see someone suggest somwhere using old film cannisters to store left-over paint.