Welcome to another journey week.

Any medium is welcome to show and tell about a traditional classical or
impressionist artist that catches their eye or
show from life work.

So it's not only copies of Masters,
but they are cool to study. :thumbsup:

If you have a question,
just ask here in this thread.

This is one of the most beautiful paintings to me.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Oct-2006/39040-43.jpg

Petrus CHRISTUS
Our Lady of the Dry Tree, c. 1450
Oil on panel
17,4 x 12,3 cm

Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza, Madrid

read more about it here

http://www.museothyssen.org/thyssen_ing/coleccion/ficha624.htm
and here
http://www.abcgallery.com/C/christus/christusbio.html

Hope you all have a great week and make art! Nickel

tyree
10-15-2006, 07:43 PM
oooohhh nickel...this painting is in Madrid!!! dont know if ill be going there though...but maybe dont know yet....it is beautiful...everyone have a great week!!!! tyree:wave:

Nickel
10-15-2006, 11:55 PM
Susan, I don't know if it is on display or not. I do like it, this picture here is not as clear as the one I have. I'm glad you liked it. I think in person it would be a real eye catcher. So when are you leaving? I want to know what you eat while your over there :) lol. I know I should settle down, tonight I've been reading about William Merritt Chase. Tomorrow who knows. :)

Granby
10-16-2006, 12:00 AM
Hello all,

Life is throwing me curveballs and knuckleballs like crazy - so won't be able to post much anytime soon. I'm gonna do my best to try and come up with something for these weekly threads though.

This was an oil study done to practice flesh colors and getting angle's right (thanks to homework given in Barb Solomon's angles thread). Someone grade how I did on the angles - I just noticed that thread is closed.

Its not finished yet, and may never be. After 'The Favorite' by Luis Ricardo Falero, one of many skilled 19th and early 20th century academic artists who are fading into obscurity. (Partly it was their own fault though, so many of them just painted pretty women loitering around for no reason in particular. Kind of like this one-)

original: http://www.oceansbridge.com/paintings/artists/f/falero_luis_ricardo/oil-big/the_favourite_1880.jpg

Have a good week all...Beautiful painting Nickel - can't wait to learn more about it.

Nickel
10-16-2006, 12:11 AM
Hey Granby, that's pretty good nude. I like the colors and you practiced with using Barb's thread. ((hint)) there are more to come. I'm proud of you. Did you draw her with charcoal first or just paint her? I can see black, lol, don't get me wrong, black is good. Academic flesh colors are flake white, yellow ochre, light red, english red, ivory black. That's pretty much it. I've been using mars black, it is taking some getting use to.

Granby
10-16-2006, 11:48 AM
Hi Nickel,
Skipped the charcoal again, but was very careful with the initial steps to get the outline right - basically drawing with a brush. As you can see in my painting, never did quite get that elbow poking out in the right spot. The colors I used on the flesh in this one where mostly lemon yellow and white, with raw sienna and a skoosh of burnt umber to darken the shadows. The color surrounding her is terra verte, and some probably sneaked on the flesh as well: was trying to capture that yellow/green ambience of the original. I'm trying to figure out a loose system to help me out, and I'm getting closer. I painted this one almost exactly like last weeks just with whiter colors: instead of raw sienna, burnt umber, black - I used lemon yellow, raw sienna, burnt umber. Some black may have sneaked in during the fiddling stages. ..

PushingPixels
10-17-2006, 01:12 AM
Nickel you did it again!! A beautiful Madonna that I have never seen. It has such a wonderful surealistic quality with the tree resembling the crown of thorns. I liked the study as well.

Granby your nude is excellent. :clap:

Hi Tyree - I didn't forget you!!!

tyree
10-17-2006, 11:58 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2006/65063-vermeer_1.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2006/65063-vermeer_2.jpg VERMEER...THE LACEMAKER...1669-1670....My brother, sisterinlaw and myself saw this magnificent work...i know its not quite right...but i think ive captured somewhat the intensity...hows the hands barb???? tyree:angel: ps i know the angle of the head is not down enough also...alas....

tyree
10-17-2006, 12:07 PM
granby...wonderfully drawn nude...the colour is muted...but exciting enough to be interesting..does this make sense??? im not sure of the conversations you and miss nickel are having about black??? is it to use or not to use???? outlining or in shadows??? does it matter???? or because its classical it does matter???? sorry i have sooo many questions...but ive been reading and lurking into your alls comments....:wink2: tyree:confused: :confused: :wave:

Nickel
10-17-2006, 03:38 PM
haha Granby what's this sneaked on my palette this black thing? :) lol

Hi ya ladies!! Barb thought the same thing as you. Glad you think is is surreal too! Got a big kick out of it myself. Way before the surreal movement. ha!
Susan, she is perfect in my book! Looks to be intensely sewing, mending, darning, not pricking her fingers, but she needs glasses to not have to look so close at the needle. I think she's pretty.

Oh, black, go for it or not. There are so many, many opinions about what is right or wrong with black. I say if you need it use it. If you figure out a way to get black with mixtures, and want that , it's ok too. I just happen to like to use it, (but just not plain black in shadows, mix it up) look at a color wheel, there is black to shade your colors. How many color wheels are there, as many almost as the don't or do use black people. Honestly, I think as long as you use values, you'll get the point across in a picture in a realistic way.

In the long run, it is about learning how to get down on a surface something we want to say in the way we want to say it. How did others do it ((ie, our journey to explore)) did their work fail, can we make it work if we do so and so and so on. Nothing drives me more crazy than to want to do something and it not turn out the way I want. One of my friends drives me nuts, she'll say, why did you do it wrong? ((where is the strangle your friend icon)) lol. But it makes me think why did I do it wrong. It's raining outside and cold and turning winter. Does anyone know anything good about cold weather. All my bones start to hurt. grrr. But I still send you all my hugs.

rosebard
10-17-2006, 05:43 PM
Hi Nickel, Susan, Barbara, MOny and Granby!:thumbsup: :wave:

I love black too Nickel. I always have black in my palette. I usually use ivory (cause it is easy to use and I have a big tube of it from last year :D ) I tend to use as I feel a need. Love to grey colors with complements too.

I am finally back at the journey. I was drawing and painting from life and was without a printer to print out my references. Now I can, so it is a joy to be able to study masters again. Also, I got into figure study which was so eager to go for. Well finally did.

Here is a Sculpture from a museu in Australia. Reference was a cortesy of Richard - WC member iii.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2006/54461-esculturadrawing4.jpg

Nickel
10-17-2006, 10:09 PM
Hi Rose, your drawing is very nice!
Welcome back.
Nickel

rosebard
10-17-2006, 10:36 PM
Thanks dear. Good to be back. :)

tyree
10-18-2006, 12:22 AM
hi rose!!!!! so glad your back!!! beautifully rendered figure....im glad shes not skinny...tired of seeing skinny:evil: tyree:wave: :wave: :clap:

Mony G
10-18-2006, 07:36 AM
Hi everybody !

I didn't think Granby and I would have started a never-ending conversation about the use or not of black!

I have been taught not to... although I admit I sometimes use it too.. for example in the horse painting I did !:o I use mars black, when I happen to ( this just because my teacher says he doesn't like Ivory black).
I shade colours with darker ones.. indigo, sienna , dark greens and reds and so on... powerful colours . I also mix many colours to obtain grey... I don't like dull colours. I'm a real newcomer at oil painting and still have so much to learn!

the nudes are nice... welcome back, Bard!:wave:

I love the Madonna, she really seems surreal surrounded by that crown of thorns... a great painting I didn't know!

I haven't got anything for this week... maybe later on..

Bye ,

Mony

rosebard
10-18-2006, 07:51 AM
Hi Sweet Susan! Thanks girls! I am looking into my next figure to draw for the next week so I dont fall behind again. :D

tyree
10-18-2006, 12:19 PM
hey everyone...12 more days!!! cant wait...back to bartending this morning:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: back to grumpy old men:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: oh well 12 more days:D :lol: :clap: :wink2: :smug: tyree...ps...i like black:evil:

Nickel
10-18-2006, 01:07 PM
lol, you kill me laughing......
let's see, 24 hours times 12 days equals.....I'm so happy for you!!!!

Nickel
10-18-2006, 01:08 PM
Rose, lol, you make me laugh too, do a nude then talk about the fall behind.;)
Your drawing has a nice fall "behind" lol

artbyjune
10-18-2006, 02:08 PM
Hi all!!

Just checking in to add to the conversations and to mention what I'm up to as far as classical art goes. I really feel as if I have one foot on the classical boat and one foot in the contemporary boat. Straddled across both. I hope the two drift together and not apart!!

I've been focussing on oils recently mainly because I find I like this medium best for its sheer versatility of effects.

As for black, I have a reluctance to use it due to the impact of impressionism. But I do use it a little, for example, if I am attempting a work with the classical limited palette Nickel mentioned above. Mostly, I find black can be mixed from other colours (ultramarine and other darks) which is good for some work. (Depends on the palette). Good point Nickel made about values being the important consideration, then you can really use any colour!!

I always seem to trail behind with this thread. This week I just caught up with the last 'journey' into landscape and did a quick landscape study for the WDE from a posted photo ref. I loved doing it and I find I rather like landscape which is news for me!

I am folowing along with the Italian Ren workshop and I have my panel prepared and a first attempt of a drawing done (Raphael study)....so its going well there.

I bought a very attractive book called '100 great artists' today...which combines work from all European traditions...Italian Ren to modern contemporary. There was also a very grand and lovely looking book on Italian Ren study and it looked very in-depth. I may get that one next time...if its not snapped up. It was in a bargain shop. So you never know.

I got some new brushes too. There you are, that's my art journey up to date!!

Granby's nude study looks well done to me. I also like your study of the woman making lace, Tyree. The 'surrealist' painting is a new one for me. I suppose there are lots of paintings in galleries and collections which are pretty much unknown generally. We always seem to see the same ones. Its inspiring to see something a little different. Hi Rose, I like your figure study too!!

Nickel
10-18-2006, 06:45 PM
Hi June, sounds like your life has many interest!
I think landscape is addicting. ;)
and I dig still life too.
New brushes......nice. I'll admit, I'm a brush addict.
lol, but I've got brushes 20 some odd years old.
lol, and I'm only 21 :)

Mony G
10-19-2006, 08:28 AM
Hi!

Seems like I found the time to draw something new... and "really classical" for this week!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2006/77963-File0625lll.jpg

The "Long Neck Madonna" by Parmigianino!
The Drapery turned out to be a real challenge and so I sort of invented it in the end ... and the hand isn't very well done, to my opinion... but I hope you like it just the same as it is the result of a cold and rainy morning's work!

:wave: :wave:
Mony

artbyjune
10-19-2006, 10:59 AM
:) Hi Mony, nice drawing of the long-necked Madonna. the MOM this month is on Modigliani. His long necked women are interesting too. (Contemporary style).:wave:

tyree
10-19-2006, 12:19 PM
mony....oh shes quite lovely..what a sweet smile...and you did beautifully on the drapery..im jealous:evil: :p ...great work for a rainy day....tyree:wave:

tyree
10-19-2006, 12:23 PM
hey junebug...break out those new brushes!!!! :wave: :wave: tyree:heart: :D 11 days and counting...need new sunglasses:cool: ...hmmmm..wallyworld here i come....tyree ....first work with the grumpy old men....:envy: this is what they look like:envy: :envy: :envy: :envy: ....

Mony G
10-19-2006, 12:40 PM
:) Hi Mony, nice drawing of the long-necked Madonna. the MOM this month is on Modigliani. His long necked women are interesting too. (Contemporary style).:wave:

I know Modigliani's work... I saw an exibition in Lugano (Switzerland ) a few years ago... I love his graphic work, and his drawing, which is really impressive ... he has a great line work which call pull out a personality !... but I personally don't like his paintings very much.. I admit they are interesting, but nothing more ... but you should really see his drawings from life!!!... this is my opinion, anyway!

:wave:

Mony

Mony G
10-19-2006, 12:44 PM
mony....oh shes quite lovely..what a sweet smile...and you did beautifully on the drapery..im jealous:evil: :p ...great work for a rainy day....tyree:wave:

Don't be jealous! it isn't SO good ! You are flattering me !:o :o :o
can't you hardly wait ? 11 days will really go fast !:wink2: I am envious :envy:

Mony:wave:

Nickel
10-19-2006, 01:47 PM
Hi ladies!
Mony I like the drapery too, and her lips. Don't notice the long neck!
Is this charcoal on what kind of paper? Nice lights and darks.

Junebug, how cute a name.
Susan, those grumpies, they can't help but be happy fellows
after their visit with you for the rest of the day. :)
If I'm lucky, I'll get to my drawing today. Wish me luck.

Granby
10-19-2006, 02:22 PM
Bard,Mony,Tyree and anyone else I missed - great work. Tyree- you captured the spirit perfectly. Mony - very good; especially considering how good this artist is. I love Parmigianino sketches: IMO he is easily one of the best draftsmen of all time. If anyone knows some good links to his drawings - please post them. I've attached a study he did of young girls head - I've seriously tried to do a study of this drawing four times: each one ended up in the trash can beside me; I just can not even approximate his skill. (yet :) )

Nickel - find time get to your drawing - don't be afraid to use your skills and blow us away - and good luck.

Nickel
10-19-2006, 02:49 PM
That's a really beautiful drawing Granby.
I read once, take tracing paper and lay over your drawing you don't like,
then work on the parts you want to improve.
Browsing through the Speed book, there is something there on this technique
I don't know it by heart.
Also, something new to me, take and lay your paper on a thickness of paper to achieve a softer touch. The padding gives a forgiveness to the pressure of a stroke drawn. I think you got to have a soft touch in this drawing you posted. I'm happy I read that part in Speed's book. Now I know. ;)

PushingPixels
10-20-2006, 01:23 AM
Wow, some really good study's here. Tyree :lol: :lol: :lol: grumpy old men, what a hoot. I agree I'm tired of bony models too, show me some curves. Left curves, s curves and don't forget U curves...:lol: :wink2:

Have you seen the movie "Real women have curves? Highly recommended.
Mony I aspire to have as good an eye as you have, but I'll take a leg or an arm whatever...:lol:

Come on Nickel throw us a bone here... where do you find all this good stuff?

I posted in the comtemporary forum if interested here is a link..
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376694

I didn't think I should cross the classical line too much but it's all I have done this week... sometimes I just gotta be crazy.
Great week here in classical you guys are inspiration... keep up the good work.

Mony G
10-20-2006, 05:59 AM
Hi Nickel and everybody again ! :clap:

I have drawn the Madonna using a 6B pencil ( in the photo it actually came out darker, that's why it perhaps looks like charcoal ) on some simple yellow semi-rough paper I have bought in an Art shop ... a pad I usually use when I have the model to copy .
I haven't got such a good eye... I am short-and long-sighted!:confused: :crying:
I just try to do my best ... the head Granby posted is a real challenge... I want to try it too!

Have a nice week-end... and be seeing you in the next journey... my friends !

Mony

Nickel
10-20-2006, 08:51 PM
Hi ya, Friday night here, and I've been eyeing up the drawing you posted too
Granby. Such a softness and sweetness to it, Really hard not to want to draw it. Hubby lost his reading glasses, been calling and looking everywhere.
No luck, man is blind and I've been his seeing eye dog today. Only walked him into traffic 3 or 4 times. ;) Sometimes it is like the blind leading the blind.
I'm gonna have to go see what you did Barb. If I got any secrets, ask. I don't know what I did. :) Prob the best news I got, I cleaned my studio, but now I can't find anything. I guess I could if I looked in the place it's suppose to be in. I'm wanting another easel....Christmas maybe. Dick Blick has a new fancy dancy one out. I think it's bigger than I need. Looks like a snow sled to me. http://www.dickblick.com/zz515/89/ Have a good night all. Nickel

Nickel
10-20-2006, 09:24 PM
Oh, I hope you all get a chance to at least browse the Harold Speed book.
It's got some good stuff in it. Come join me too in talking about it, what you think, etc. I'd love to hear your comments.

Granby
10-21-2006, 05:12 AM
Hello All,
Insomnia - tried one more time at this Parm.. study. Its not good but its not in the trash either - looks better in real life. I feel it is close but the paper is massacred and overworked and nothing else can be done with it. What is the dark in this original study? It is definitely not layers of red chalk. Chalk over Brown Ink? Red Chalk over Black?

Granby
10-22-2006, 12:24 AM
Ok, I'm nothing if not stubborn - gave it one more shot and finally give myself a passing grade. Whew - back to painting now (never thought I'd say that).

Take Care all,

Nickel
10-22-2006, 01:45 AM
Hey Granby, nice work, I'd say it's a double pleasure.
I don't know what the medium was, but a red and black mixed will give a brown. I see more detail in the second one.
Very sweet!

Nickel
10-22-2006, 08:36 PM
Granby, found something for you to look

A Special Exhibition on
Correggio and Parmigianino: Master Draftsmen of the Renaissance
The Metropolitan Museum of Art
http://www.metmuseum.org/special/Correggio/correggio_images.htm

and here, one of my favorite sites

John Malyon/Artcyclopedia
Parmigianino
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/parmigianino.html

:)

Nickel
10-22-2006, 09:56 PM
Granby, did a quick copy of this head study, lol, I think she looks dead, like in I killed her.
Scary :p

on newsprint, redchalk & green pencil

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Oct-2006/39040-8.jpg

tyree
10-23-2006, 11:40 AM
granby...A+!!!! beautiful effort...nickel...thats scary...course it is halloweeny time!!!:evil: tyree:wave:

Granby
10-23-2006, 11:49 AM
Nickel - that is very, very spooky. Thanks for scaring me on a Monday morning - before I've finished my first cup of coffee and everything.

Thanks for the links: Here is one link from artcyclopedia on Parma, but I have run into this site before. It is generally the best site I've found to look for drawings by artists.

http://www.artandarchitecture.org.uk/search/results.html?_creators=ULAN14286&display=Parmigianino

(Both of my studies were done in red pastel pencil and charcoal pencil; the last one which looks best I did the drawing and all the shadows in charcoal before I went over it with the red; charcoal under the red pastel worked much better than the other way around: at least for me)

Hi Tyree, take care all...