PDA

View Full Version : question about signing

MaryM.
10-14-2006, 08:42 PM
Okay, rookie question: With A basic, minimalist painting like this, I should sign the back not the front, right? Also, how would you paint the sides? All pink or with the branches?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Oct-2006/77255-IMGP1134.JPG
oh, it's 6x6

gingery
10-14-2006, 09:50 PM
Personally, I would not sign the front, because I feel it would distract too much from the composition. You're going to get alot of people that disagree with me on this. I feel that if a signature distracts from the work, then you need to sign it somewhere else. Remember, you are the artist, & it is your decision. If you do decide to sign the front, I would strongly suggest, you make if small, in a colour that blends in very well with the painting, & may even be difficult for someone to see.
ginger

MaryM.
10-14-2006, 10:04 PM
Thanks, Ginger, I tend to agree with you. I don't want to detract from the painting.

dreamz
10-15-2006, 01:34 AM
its really upto you how and where you sign, I prefer the back.. Personally I'd wrap the branches right around the sides.. nice painting BTW... vivid background and nice silohettes(sp)

Gillette
10-15-2006, 03:37 AM
As has been said it's all a matter of personal preference.
If it was mine I'd continue the pink and the branches right around the edges, as I always do, and people tend to like that and comment, and I'd do a small neat browny/pink signature along the thicker branch, just pink enough to be seen on the brown.
Jane.

tumteetum
10-15-2006, 07:23 AM
I bought a painting recently and the artist has signed it on the side of the of the box canvas. It looks kind of cool too :)

Don't know if that helps in this case.

Charlie's Mum
10-15-2006, 08:30 AM
Personally, I'd agree with Jane (Gillette) and Tee, above .......... the sig doesn't have to detract from the painting, even in one as small as this, but I'd make part of the painting.

connievanwinssen
10-16-2006, 01:46 PM
I would paint the branches on the side too. Your signature can be at the bottom left or right (unless it's very big) or on the bottom side. With little paintings I often sign on one of the sides.

sir_real
10-17-2006, 01:23 AM
I'd avoid signing on the front. While this may or may not matter given the context of what you're doing ponder this: If you want to keep it minimalist, adding anything can change the aspect of the work and how it's read.

Phantelope
10-17-2006, 12:16 PM
I never sign on the front, regardless of what's on the painting. Bothers me like having a sticker on it or something, don't want anything that's not part of the painting on there. I only sign the back where I date it too. As for the border, either continue with the branches or use a different color that complements the painting. I could see a purple or a darker version of your main color to work well. Just try and see how things look, you can always paint over it :) Or use some artists tape and paint on that to try out things, then you can just pull it off and finish with what you liked best.

Fun piece by the way!

Oliver

TxAggieDarlin
10-17-2006, 12:19 PM
Can I ask another question here too?

Do you use acrylics to sign OR is there a pen I can use? I cannot seem to write w/ a brush. It comes out terrible