PDA

View Full Version : First painting post

sir_real
10-13-2006, 09:03 PM
So, I figured it was about time I actually posted some recent work of mine (that and I actually got around to taking photos of it). This painting is of a hallway from a building in the ghost town of Bannack, MT. I'll be the first to admit it's sort of depressing and for the most part all of my work has been lately (hence, a little more hesitation to show). The themes are isolation, emptiness, etc. si I've paint a lot of houses and interiors. Some still life as well, but mostly things that are reminders that people have been there but have now moved on. Uff da. All critiques welcome!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Oct-2006/13581-hallway.jpg

Lady Carol
10-13-2006, 10:26 PM
Perspective is good. Perhaps something at the end for a focal point would strengthen the composition. It is hard to know where you want us to look.

A few adjustments and this will be a true winner.

WRoget
10-13-2006, 11:14 PM
If you darken the ceiling and the middle doorway, the light-filled room at the end of the hall would pull the viewer in without competition, becoming a stronger focal point.

I really like the texture on the walls, so would love to see the floor, trim and other elements refined and smoothed, to set off that wall texture in contrast, but that's just me.

Charlie's Mum
10-14-2006, 11:56 AM
I do like the light and reflected light on the ceiling ......... so maybe, rather than a little depressing, it's coming out of depression? ... the light at the end?

sir_real
10-14-2006, 07:11 PM
Thanks everybody!

Yeah, this painting was a rough experiment--I'm really interested in flattening composition down while making the eye sift through a lot of data. What'd I'd like is the eye to wander through the painting much like mine does when it is being created, hence the thin paint and the forced brush strokes. However, it seems to still be very hit and miss.

As for the light at the end of the tunnel, I'm not so sure. The problem is, I have a BFA show to get ready for and up until now the styles and subjects that I've been working towards have been well received--until this term that is. Now, everyday is an uphill battle with theory, tradition, etc.etc.etc. So, my paintings have gotten progressively darker. With the work not being read like it was not only 3 months ago, I've been left wondering if it's even worth pursuing this style, and if it's not...what next? Argh! Balls of confusion!

Leif

gingery
10-14-2006, 09:58 PM
I really like the textures you have in this painting.:thumbsup: We all have times of angst for whatever reason & sometimes we aren't even sure why. It will pass, but the good thing is that you are working through it, so just keep on. I'm really glad that you posted this. I got out of art school 13.5 hrs short of my BFA so go ahead & finish. You'll be glad you did, no matter what you end up doing.
ginger

Kerch
10-15-2006, 01:58 AM
I like the colours of greys, browns, blacks and whites that you used. The sunlight shining in from the door on the left is interesting, and inviting, but there is still something claustophobic about the hallway. Your painting definitely gets a response from the viewer. Good work!

Southafricannovice
10-15-2006, 02:05 AM
I like this a lot, the earthy colors, the light. I think if this was like a huge painting, don't know how big this one is, it would make a major impact mounted on a large piece of wall. It could feel like you can walk right thru the wall via the painting. I like it and I don't feel the in the least depressed when looking at it. I think this is great!:clap:

valchina612
10-15-2006, 11:32 AM
I like this too. The perspective is great, and I especially like the light at the end of the passageway. I think you are going along fine. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

pakc
10-15-2006, 11:38 AM
woooo...like your brush work...adds such a nice texture.
Interesting subject...makes me wonder if someone is finding their way to the party.
Decided that it must be a hallway you travel down frequently to capture the feeling of aloneness without being confining.
I think I can actually hear music coming from the far room.

Sorry that my comments are directed at the subject matter and not on the technique...but this piece just captured my imagination.