PDA

View Full Version : First Steps in glazing (or in any other technique).

tumteetum
10-12-2006, 03:23 PM
I've never learnt much about technique in painting and thought it might actually help me to be less frustrated and achieve some of the things I'd like to do with painting.

So I fished around on trusty WC and stumbled on Maverick's glazing lesson 1 in the Information Kiosk http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299276

This is my first attempt at using any kind of disciplined approach or technique with acrylic paint (not being accomplished in any other medium either however!)

I'm so glad Maverick's lesson included underpainting stages as well as glazing - it helped me so much. I think I just learnt more about painting in the last 48 hours doing this lesson than I ever did in 2 years of A-level art!

So here's my results on 6"x9" canvas board. Pictures of:
1) initial drawing on board,
2) first glaze
3) semi worked
4) and finally can't-do-anymore!

It's not perfect - but I've learnt tonnes already! Decided to let this one go and try again (and again and again).

Thank you Maverick!!

Perhaps technique does help after all :-)

Rachel

Southafricannovice
10-12-2006, 05:06 PM
It's beautiful, well done on the glazing. You are a much better person than me, I couldn't study anything, 2 much like school. I use stuff that I buy at the art shop, if it works yeah:clap: , if it don't then I do old school again:D

cookiem
10-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Nice work at the glazing! Can't wait to see the next one. :D

I also really liked your brush stroking in the background :thumbsup:

Cath

gingery
10-13-2006, 12:38 AM
Beautiful job!:thumbsup: I really like the third photo!:clap:
ginger

tumteetum
10-13-2006, 06:24 AM
Thanks for the compliments :)

I've had along break from painting - my old style was thick, fast and messy ... so doing glaze upon glaze was quite a change for me! And I seem to love the keep moving that paint around on the surface until it's so dry it won't shift anymore!

I admire your confidence Southafricannovice to keep experimenting and learn as you go. My steps are so timid at the moment.

Charlie's Mum
10-13-2006, 09:09 AM
Very succcessful Rachel - lovely painting - and I, too, like the background texture.
I'll add this to the main Class as soon as I can - but will leave the thread so others can appreciate it :D
See? Posting your own thread wasn't so difficult or frightening after all- was it? :lol: :lol:

Lady Carol
10-13-2006, 06:07 PM
Maverick is an excellent teacher and it certainly shows in this successful painting of yours. Congratulations! :clap: :clap:

tumteetum
10-14-2006, 02:16 PM
Well Maureen I am glad I posted my own thread now. Thanks for your encouragement!

LadyCarol thanks for the compliment.

It's much harder now I'm trying to do my own piece without step by step examples and colours to use, etc! I'm struggling a little - but perservering!

This might be a basic thing to ask ... I'm painting a red and a yellow crab apple now. I used a dark blue/black (until I get my Paynes Gray in the post on Monday) to work the dark parts - but on the yellow crab apple it looks kind of yucky.

Do I use a different colour for dark areas on yellow - or will it make sense when I get more glazes down?

WRoget
10-14-2006, 03:47 PM
Do I use a different colour for dark areas on yellow - or will it make sense when I get more glazes down?

you certainly can, many of the old masters did something similar.

But - I wouldn't just give up either on the "blue/black" either. Take a scrap of something sturdy and do a little study. You try, as well, adding a bit of red to that "blue/black" to make it more of a voilet/black.

objectivistartist
10-14-2006, 04:40 PM
Or perhaps mix cobalt blue and burnt umber......

Robert

tumteetum
10-15-2006, 06:30 AM
Ah great. Thank you for the advice! I will certainly try all of these out.

Charlie's Mum
10-15-2006, 08:46 AM
........... in addition, remember that there'll be reflected red from the red apple in the yellow one, and vice versa.
You may also get variations in the shadows on the table/ground - they're seldom the same intensity throughout.

Nice to see you continuing the lesson with your own work :D

tumteetum
10-17-2006, 03:39 PM
Just wanted to share the finished version of my second study.

In the end I found burnt sienna had the desired effect for the dark are on the yellow crab apple - combined with red suggested from the other crab apple.

There's loads of things I'm not too happy about this - but hey it's a learning experience.

The worst thing was trying to find a way to do the background - so I've reached a point of saying "that'll do" and time to learn and move on!

I'll try and focus on the bits that went ok.

Lady Carol
10-17-2006, 06:54 PM
Hiya tumteetum :wave:
I think this is excellent for a second.

One thought, you might want to post this in a separate thread, that way you will get more comments. People will see this thread and think that they have seen it and replied so they won't view it again. I would hate for you not to get any feedback.

tumteetum
10-18-2006, 04:10 AM
Thanks Carol.

Thanks for the advice. Much to learn :)

laudesan
10-18-2006, 06:23 AM
Lovely work. Great demo from Maverick you did well!! :clap:

JJ

idcrisis55
10-18-2006, 10:08 AM
I think you are doing marvelous with the glazing and agree that Maverick did a marvelous class. It add to my excitement to see how enthused you are. Looking forward to seeing more of your art journey.

Ann

tumteetum
10-18-2006, 12:20 PM
Thank you JJ. :)

Thank you Ann. :)