PDA

View Full Version : Chickadee scratchart-xpost to AF

brushandknife
10-12-2006, 08:17 PM
5x7", black clayboard, clayboard inks. My second try at coloring. Not too hard afterall! Just found out about this forum. Oh, goodie, all scratch, all the time! :lol:
Carol:wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2006/47586-Chickadee_scratch_cr.jpg

Mary Woodul
10-12-2006, 09:25 PM
Glad you made it over here Carol. This is a stunning piece, hard to believe you have just started using color.

Bertoni
10-12-2006, 09:57 PM
Carol:
Glad to see you xposted!!!!!! This is wonderful in every way!!!:thumbsup:

brushandknife
10-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Thanks Mary and Bertoni. The inks made all the difference. I tried watercolor and didn't seem to work for me. These worked well, altho I had a bit of trouble mixing just what I wanted. I will have to continue to try with the wc's.
Carol

Diana Lee
10-13-2006, 12:25 PM
Your color work is great. I agree with you about the limitations of working with the scratchboard inks. You can, however, use acrylic paint, oil paint and acrylic ink if you like the liquid mediums. You can get a better variety of colors for mixing with acrylic ink. I just ordered some water soluble oil paints and I plan to try them on my next scratchboard. But, so far, the best in liquid mediums for coverage and scratchability is the scratchboard inks. I sure wish they would give a better mixing variety.

I can't wait to see more of your color work.

Diana

Trilby
10-13-2006, 04:19 PM
This is just lovely, very lyrical and beautiful detailing. Great first coloring try, looks experienced to me. I want to know how you got an actual brown coloring with the clayboard inks. My efforts always lean towards a violet tone.
TJ

brushandknife
10-14-2006, 11:34 AM
Thanks everyone, glad you like him. Diana, how do the acrylic inks work for re-scratching? I have some I bought, but sort of afraid to try them. I tried to do a bit of color with watercolor on a large piece that has been waiting for me to learn more before I finish, as I am afraid I have already possibly ruined what started out (after MANY hours) as a nice piece. That seemed to come out "dull"/"dingy". TJ, I can't remember for sure, but as I recall, I think I got the brown with red, yellow, and a touch of green.
Carol :wave:

Diana Lee
10-14-2006, 12:40 PM
Carol, Acrylic inks are hardier than scratchboard inks, but still very scratchable. Paint thin at first and if you want water it down some. I highly recommend getting a spare small piece of claybord smooth and experimenting with a new technique or medium. Dick Blick sells them cheap enough I find it's cheaper to buy them there than at my local art supply store and that is including the shipping. (Hey Dick Blick, don't read this and raise your prices!) Just paint some squares and scratch.

Diana

brushandknife
10-15-2006, 09:54 AM
Thanks, Diana, I'll have to try that when I get back. Yes, I've gotten most of mine at DB, altho now and then if I see a sale I can't resist. Have a few extras now. :-)
Carol

Crias
10-15-2006, 10:04 AM
Really nice work Carol- I love the warm tones. It would make a great Christmas card :D