PDA

View Full Version : You've been warned

Southafricannovice
10-12-2006, 05:13 PM
Hi everyone,

horror on horror, I tried painting a portrait in my own style. Please place welding masks over face right now:lol: I do not compensate financialy in any way for any loss of sight due to brightness or loss of apetite due to fugliness or loss of sleep due to the nightmarish horror that waits below.:D You have been warned.

It's on stretched canvas 20 x 20 and if you could get yourself so far to c&c on this one it would be great.

dlwms
10-12-2006, 05:26 PM
Let me first say I really like it!! Have a little issue with the shape/position of the ear. Also the hair in front of the ear look a bit off, but i'm on my cruddy work monitor. Love the bright colors and how you handled the bottom of the painting.

Southafricannovice
10-12-2006, 05:36 PM
Hi Dan, you are really too kind. I personally think the ear must go completely. The bottom of the painting turned out like that because I could not seem to paint a hand.:D

Flattwo
10-12-2006, 06:57 PM
Hi

I think this is terrific, the position of the ear does not matter to me, Picasso never bothered with accurate! anatomy

My Mother advised me to steer clear of women like this, but in this case I'll make an exception

Henry

dreamz
10-12-2006, 07:30 PM
I would definately paint over the ear and theres some problems with the eyes but overall I like it and its not as bright as you made me think it was going to be! If you recall the couple of figures Ive done you should also remember I DONT DO hands or feet! And rear views of the head is MUCH easier. It does sort of bug me because I can do a fairly good hand with pencil (and a LOT of eraser) but when it comes to painting one... it comes out either like a claw or a bumpy club:lol: Glad to see you pushing your horizons and tackling something totally different!

objectivistartist
10-12-2006, 08:56 PM
Stay the ear!! Tis what makes it more than ordinary..... is a grand piece ye got here...... "The Heart of Sounding Love"......:thumbsup:

Robert

tubbekans
10-12-2006, 09:28 PM
I like the style with this portrait, the colors are lively and interesting. Now though out comes the free advice from a PCP (portrait challenged person). Be warned yourself! :D The right ear could maybe use a bit of hair over the lower front part to fit it in with the head. She has plenty of hair to spare a little for her dainty ear I think. :D The left ear looks fine. The mouth seems a tad to the left of the centerline of her nose, but she might be one of those side talkers, who talk out of the corner of the mouth. Gotta watch out for them ya know. All in all an intersting portrait and your style works just dandy with it! Portraits are hard I thinks. But they are a good challenge too, so paint on!

rmc
10-12-2006, 10:53 PM
Stephan - you are fantastic - your bright style is unique and i like it.
It all depends on your point of view and you have a fabulous perspective on colour, so why fight it - Having said that, the ear with the hair in front of it is a bit squi-wiffy and may be happier turned around / gone behind hair - I am ear challenged myself, as you may have noted.
If you want a more realistic portrait - one of the things that has helped me improve accuracy of features is to grid them on the axis of the face so that the eyes / nose / mouth etc are centered correctly to eachother.
However this is so cheerful and you are so fun ---

cookiem
10-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Stephan, there is something very Gelfling (sp? The Dark Crystal) about this piece....and I like it alot! :lol:

I too am not sure about the hair around the ear and neck...the ear doesn't worry me at all as it lends that "other worldly" charm to this - and yep, the colours are fab!! :thumbsup:

Cath

gingery
10-13-2006, 12:32 AM
You are much too hard on yourself!:rolleyes: I like this!:thumbsup: I really like the shadow of the flower you have on her. The ear is a personal matter, either you like it or you don't but it's totally up to you, because we don't paint by comittee. I applaud you for going outside of your comfort zone, for that is where we learn.:clap:
ginger

Lulu
10-13-2006, 01:03 AM
this is so cheerful and you are so fun ---

Yes!!! Stephan, you've brightened up my day:)

amurphy
10-13-2006, 08:14 AM
Stephan I love it......First post I opened this morning and thank you for making me laugh......This is great. Trying something new is fun, is'ent it?

Audrey

Charlie's Mum
10-13-2006, 09:04 AM
I like this Stephan - because it is in your unique style - and the only thing that bothers me is the Dr Spock ear! - just a tad big and misplaced - but easily remedied if you want to - if you don't, that's fine too!

Really, really, like the colour, the way you've done her features and the rose.

jeff m
10-13-2006, 01:11 PM
Hi Stephen,
Firstly great disclaimer. :) I can still type so I don't seem to have been harmed in any way. :)

I agree the ear should dissapear (if you want to).
It isn't always neccessary to make loads of changes, just make mental notes for the future. What works, what doesn't. Paul's comments on the slight alignment probs nose and mouth are good to remember. But I like this paintings overall effect, it shows a lot of confidence. (even though you may not realise it) It's a painting that you have to look at, it cannot be ignored.
I hope that makes sense. Good use of colour and a very well painted background.
I think you are going to grow to like this more than you do now. :thumbsup:

Southafricannovice
10-14-2006, 06:25 PM
Hey thanks all you kind people! You have inspired me so much that I have decided to quit my day job and become a full time protrait artist:clap:
Did I have some of you worried there for a moment? Do not fear, I have not gone totally bonkers.......yet, but I am working on it:D I will show you guys the revised painting tomorrow as I had been painting on it while I was busy with the WDE. Thanks again all, I think I might be busy with a masterpiece:lol:

gurleygirl
10-14-2006, 10:08 PM
I really like this! I think the colors are great!!
Tracey

blondheim12
10-14-2006, 10:15 PM
I like it too Stephan. Don't be so hard on yourself. it is charming and fun, makes me think of a pixy for some reason.
Love,Linda

valchina612
10-15-2006, 11:23 AM
Stephan, your Portrait is GREAT, and done in your totally unique way. I just ADORE the colours. Keep 'em coming. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

Southafricannovice
10-22-2006, 05:57 PM
Okay, now this will teach you guys that when I say tomorrow it most probably is more likely to be in a week/month/year's time. Sorry but my time management skills are really up to crap but rather late than never. Just a quick update cause I think I still have something to go waste my time on:lol: . Thanks to everyone again for the encouragement. Well here goes the revised edition of this protrait, I am still busy on it and any suggestions will be gladly accepted, the ear is definitely starting to dissapear:clap: I think I am over my Picasso stage:D

2bears
10-22-2006, 06:10 PM
Whoa! What did you do to get that look on her face! Take the last piece of chocolate?? :)
I can't add to what the others have said before me except that you have a fine style going on and shouldn't be so apologetic.

NaomiThePainter
10-22-2006, 10:58 PM
Yes, it's beautiful and bright Stephen! The colour really is wonderful!

I think I am developing a love hate relationship with the ear though.
I like it and I also don't. I think... um... leave the ear... :D

**EDIT**
I just saw the revised one. It's great! The ear is improved greatly now. Excellent!

tubbekans
10-23-2006, 01:31 AM
Great going Stephan! She has a mysterious look about her that I like. The whole portrait fits together nicely now with the ear adjustment.

Jimmy57
10-23-2006, 05:56 PM
Being a new painter myself, I'm envious of people who can paint as well as you can (one day, perhaps..........). Also, I'm drawn to the bright colours possible with acrylics and just love your colour scheme = very delightful. As for the ear, I wouldn't change anything because it's your style and makes your portrait unique.:thumbsup: