PDA

View Full Version : lead horse, xpost pastels

chewie
10-12-2006, 01:10 PM
i was one of those in the black hills a few weekends ago, and what a fun time! great group of folks, and the scenery was amazing! i used some sketches, a good photo, and just plain old memory to complete this. the reds are coming thru a bit harsh, and i think i need to work on the horse a bit, looks kinda 'cartoony' to me. any other comments are welcome! (oh yes, in pastel forum, dee pointed out my grass is stripe-y, so that is another spot i plan to fix) its around 14x22, on colorfix paper. oh,and the way to pronounce 'lead' here (its a town), is it rhymes with bead or seed. thanks for lookinghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2006/6679-lead_horse.jpg

Jean Levert Hood
10-15-2006, 09:09 AM
beautiful color in your trees!

chewie
10-15-2006, 07:18 PM
thank you, i was beginning to wonder if this thread was working!

Julianne
10-16-2006, 12:51 PM
It's a lovely painting. Wow, those trees are stunning! I don't mind the stripes myself. If I wanted to be really nit picky I'd be wondering about the way the distant grass cuts abruptly to the shadow. But really, the painting is so nice, these are just minor nit picks. The horse looks fine, I don't think it looks cartoony. Depending on what you don't like about it yourself, you could always soften some edges, or darken some darks, but again, I think it's also fine as it is. But hey, I'm no expert myself....

Judging by the posts in this forum, it looks pretty slow. You might want to try cross posting it in the Landscape forum for more feedback if you haven't already.

chewie
10-16-2006, 02:26 PM
thanks for posting! i would cross post it, but already did so in pastels, and don't care to hog the forums! i also thought of making some sort of easier passage from grasses (light) to trees (dark.) now that someone else mentions it also, i may let it sit a spell before i frame, and work on that. thank you for your opinion!

Julianne
10-16-2006, 11:38 PM
Chewie I don't think you'll be hogging the forums! I doubt you'll see any complaints. You're looking for feedback and there's not much going on here, so go for it!

I'm looking at it again, I don't know the 'correct' way, perhaps the warm colors back there bring them forward a tad too much compared to the areas in front? Maybe the bits right at the back could be neutralled a little or something..... I don't know, go and see what the more experienced landscape folk have to say. I'd be interested to see myself.

brianc
10-17-2006, 09:29 AM
Looks great. Has a wonderful feeling of height. Your horse looks great!