PDA

View Full Version : I love pastels...

needtopaint
10-11-2006, 03:18 PM
Hello all,
I have seen the "I need to post banner" at few too many times. I came out of lurkdom and quickly sank back into it again. Here are my last two pastels. May I say, I love pastels. I've been oil painting up to this point, but feel very drawn to pastels. I have a set of Unisons coming for my birthday and I am thrilled. Please critique. I grow very much from your thoughts. Thank you,

Christine

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2006/44651-Wet_Canvas_Rocker.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2006/44651-Wet_Canvas_2.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2006/44651-Wet_Canvas_3.jpg

For some unknown reason, either my camera or my monitor seems to make the reds "hotter" than they actually are. I've taken many, many pictures, and finally just decided to go ahead and post. Thanks.

Kathryn Wilson
10-11-2006, 04:39 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of pastels! If this is an indication of how you are starting with pastels, you have a wonderful career ahead of you. Or you may already have a wonderful career! But either way, these are wonderful portraits and I look forward very much to seeing more of your work.

Sigh, muttering to myself - wondering why I can't do this.

Tressa
10-11-2006, 05:04 PM
Christine, welcome back!! I remember the girl you posted; she was lovely, and you have not disappointed this time either!! Beautiful, wonderful, WOW!
Tres

AnnieA
10-11-2006, 05:17 PM
Christine: Welcome out of lurkdom! :wave: These paintings are just gorgeous. The color and wonderful loose quality is something I would like to be able to accomplish someday!

I hope we'll see more from you now. :)

chewie
10-11-2006, 08:16 PM
simply wonderful! love the strokes, the colors, the open-ness. well done, and do not fall back into lurking!

prettytulips
10-11-2006, 08:24 PM
WOW - Love the loose style....

nana b
10-11-2006, 08:32 PM
I can tell you love pastels. You love the colors and are not afraid to use them. Very beautiful!

nana b

Terry Wynn
10-11-2006, 08:45 PM
Beautifully done - post more please - these are bold and beautiful :clap: :clap: :clap:

Terry

Deborah Secor
10-11-2006, 08:49 PM
Christine, PLEASE don't go away this time! I need you to teach me how to do this. This is just the sort of stroke and color work I aspire to, now that I'm heading into figures and portraits.

As I make these comments bear in mind that I'm approaching this from the standpoint of an art teacher and juror only.

In the top one I think the turquoise triangle behind the rocker is distracting my eye.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2006/23609-Christine1.jpg
I decided to tweak it in my program (hope that's okay~) and I took a guess at cooling the reds because of what you said. We all fight that problem. It's probably not right yet. (I also realize it won't be square to the painting...) I added a greenish color over that turquoise triangle, and I think it helps a bit. Of course, you could make it any color. I like the turquoises in her scarf, which draws my eye to the hair and face, but take care that the color behind her head doesn't compete. (It may not in real life, I can't tell!)

In the second one, I think the shape of the shadow behind her is a bit distracting. I'd make it into a triangle with the apex pointing at her face. Also, the business in the upper right hand corner is fun but a bit too fussy--taking me away from the face, which is so gorgeous. Be careful not to let the sky shape unconsciously mimic the shape of her hat.

Have you done this kind of work for a long while? Classes or workshops? Do you work from life or photos or both? Are you painting on Wallis or Art Spectrum here? Tell us more about what you do! :D

I really mean it--stick around and show more of your work. You do beautiful, refreshing paintings. :thumbsup:

Deborah

needtopaint
10-12-2006, 03:17 PM
Kay, Tres, AnnieA Chewie, Prettytulips, NanaB and Terry thank you with all my heart for your encouragement. You have lifted me high. And Deborah thank you immensely for such insightful critiques and all the time you've taken to help me. I've gone back and looked at the originals and the teal of the first one does not bother me. In fact, I rather like it! Those photographs are frustrating to me. I feel you are correct about the second one. I'll have to look at it for a bit and make a move. When a drawing "works" in my eyes, I greatly fear going back in and screwing it up.
And to answer your questions, I started the soft pastels at the beginning of this year. I had done one way back in high school (26 years ago), but none since then. I have been oil painting for years, but I've found renewed interest and excitement with these pastels. I've been basically using photos but have tried a couple self-portraits using a mirror because I'd love to go "live." Who knows, maybe one day I'll find a willing model. The rocker drawing is done on Terracotta Art Spectrum, my first attempt with this paper and I went out and bought some more --LOVE IT. Must try all colors.
Again thank you all for the encouragement - a huge and needed boost.

Christine

Deborah Secor
10-12-2006, 04:52 PM
Christine, you're the only one who can really see what's in your painting, so of course you have to be the one to decide what works! :D I know what you mean about not wanting to go back in and risk messing up something that's working.

A lot of the time I use a mat to help isolate the parts that are successful and visually eliminate things when I need to see better. That way, when I see something that works I can do one of two things, either crop or simplify without cropping... I do that a lot in my photo program too, trying things to see if they work. Basically I do a lot of paintings that are great learning experiences, but are never meant to make the cut and be framed.

Deborah

Scorpio
10-12-2006, 06:20 PM
Christine,
Absolutely incredible.
Emilie

needtopaint
10-12-2006, 08:28 PM
I'm sorry. I just realized I posted this in the wrong place. I meant to put it in the soft pastels studio. Oops.

Christine, I moved this over to the Soft Pastel forum for you.

Kat

christine

Holley
10-13-2006, 01:14 AM
You have a unique style and I just love your use of colour!
I hope you will post here again :)

Nancy Leone
10-13-2006, 09:34 AM
Intriguing captures of models expressions. Very exciting work. Please don't go back into lurkdom!

Mary Brigid
10-13-2006, 10:05 AM
these are great Christine. I will be watching our for more of your work.

Nori
10-13-2006, 01:41 PM
I love love love your chunky color.

silverflagon
10-13-2006, 02:05 PM
Beautiful loose work, and with those colours no wonder that you are atracted to pastels. There is just no contest between oils and pastels for jewel like colours is there :D

bcraver
10-13-2006, 04:31 PM
Thank you for sharing your work. It is inspirational to see stuff that you really like (I share Dee's reaction to your fantastic work.) It is a hassle to take the pictures, mess with the computer and then post the photos, but your efforts stretch around the globe with Wetcanvas!!! And inspire so many people, like me! For everyone who posts, there are probably 10 more who are lifted and inspired to try something with a similar boldness, and don't post before rushing off to their easels!

Thanks again and please continue to share.

Paulafv
10-13-2006, 08:17 PM
Christine,

I love pastels also, and this emulates the masters. I also like the turquoise, and I think it might still be there but not as a solid form, maybe broken a wee bit with some light hatching to blend it a little.

When I'm not sure of the outcome, I make a print and try it out on the print. Nothing lost and a good way to experiment. This is really one of the very best pastels I've seen anywhere online. It's a self portrait, isn't it, and you with a baby to care for still manage to paint so well. Wonderful. You made my day to see such good work.

Netty
10-13-2006, 09:36 PM
love the vivid use of colour you have here! Your style is gorgeous, very unique and alive!!!

Aren't pastels a wonderful change from oils? :)

Netty

Paula Ford
10-14-2006, 11:33 AM
WOW....FABULOUS work!! Welcome Christine!

Paula

Artaholic
10-14-2006, 01:16 PM
Welcome, and your style and colors are refreshing!! Kep up the good work

needtopaint
10-15-2006, 12:24 PM
I wanted to share one of my favorite "fire me up to draw" websites on pastel artists. I especially admire Evelyn Embry's work. Her girl holding the umbrella is one of my all-time favorites - all those rusts and purply blues. Slobber, slobber!

http://www.portraitartist.com/pastel.htm

and Daniel Greene's girl in the white satin dress in unbelievable.

Christine

Paula Ford
10-15-2006, 12:29 PM
Oh how exciting! Another person who loves Evelyn Embry! I have one of her original oils of a beautiful lady lounging in a chair. I call her "Sara." I purchased her about 15 years ago and had the pleasure of meeting Evelyn at the gallery I bought the painting from.

Paula

needtopaint
10-15-2006, 01:13 PM
Paula,

I had a chance to buy a Marianna McDonald before she was better known around here and did not take the opportunity. Now I cannot afford her work and kick myself everytime I see her work at shows. I cannot imagine owning an Evelyn Embry. Wow! Congrats on that one.

http://www.mcdonaldfineart.com/pastels.htm

Christine

Dark_Shades
10-15-2006, 07:01 PM
Beautiful Work Christine.......... my favourite has to be the lady in the Chair.... and had to laugh at the photo of the Baby :) so cute

Hope to see lots more from you

ponting
10-15-2006, 07:46 PM
Christine this is absolutely wonderful work especially for someone fairly new to the medium. You are obviously accomplished in your other mediums and shows here. Welcome and please do return.

Cheers, Dianna :thumbsup:

formerlyunknownart
10-15-2006, 10:53 PM
God, I love your style !! I need to work more in portraiture! this is totally beautiful !! thanks for sharing.

MarieMeyer
10-15-2006, 11:08 PM
Blimey. Super. And I'm not the sort that offers unqualified praise!