PDA

View Full Version : Redo - protective brother

rmc
10-10-2006, 07:31 PM
I have redone this - concentrating on improving values and hair , although still a bit to go in capturing likeness , aiming to give a less 2D appearance:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Oct-2006/83066-olivia_jackson_5.jpg

the ref:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Oct-2006/83066-olivia_and_jackson.jpg

I'd value your thoughts, Ruth

cookiem
10-10-2006, 07:43 PM
MY! Aren't they beautiful children - and you have done a fantastic job.

If I may suggest, perhaps the chin on the princess needs to be a tad rounder back towards her ear further (if that makes sense) :) and the cheek roundness (fullness) brought just around the mouth more. On the little man, the shadow in the striking jaw line needs to be lengthened just a bit, to remove the sharp angle that is there right now. I would also bring some of the depth of shadow you have applied to his chest area, up to his neck somewhat.

But besides that, there are so many wonderful things about this painting - the mouths are beautiful, the eyes sing, I love the light you have added to this in the background, the skintones are just beautiful.... :clap:

Well done! Keep up the great work...

Cath

rmc
10-10-2006, 08:31 PM
Thankyou Cath -I can see a way forward - you are a doll

rmc
10-10-2006, 10:34 PM
Here is an update - hopefully have altered the contours of cheeks. The neck darkness on Jackson is due to a scar - not sure how far to replicate this?
Also haven't developed the lines in Olivias forehead to indicate her raised eyebrows - uncertain re effect of this too.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Oct-2006/83066-oliviajackson4.jpg

Lulu
10-11-2006, 12:18 AM
This is simply beautiful Ruth. Remember YOU are the artist, you don't have to put in everything you see. I'd leave out the scar, also the expression lines in the girl's forehead. Wow, love looking at it.

amaze_1101
10-11-2006, 12:29 AM
Man those skin tones are so subtle. You are really quite the talent Ruth. These are sooooo very watercolourish. If you get into watercolour one day you will knock the sox of those who shine in the medium.

I could well be bobbing my head in awe of you in November!!!!!

cookiem
10-11-2006, 12:45 AM
Gorgeous!! Lovely!! Well done!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I agree on the scar and expression lines though; leave them out.

How do you feel about it?

Southafricannovice
10-11-2006, 01:39 AM
I bow to you. Absolutely brilliant!:clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

rmc
10-11-2006, 02:00 AM
Oh please guys - you are too, too kind - your talent completely surpases my humble beginings -
I have gone for sutlety giving the neccesary rather the a photo reproduction - giving my take on the essence I guess, so thanks guys - may be developing a bit in this area.
I am going to do a watercolour rose tonight to try it out Elaine - doing Char's white rose demo, although I've upped the sats to give it a bit more golden glow - will be an interesting experiment!!!!!

One thing I have found that is quite critical in tying it all together is when ever I alter areas of the face, afterwards I do a wash over the whole painting with really watery yellow ochre - stops any chalkiness and blends the different shades beautifully, keeping the whole face in harmony plus gives them a bit of a glow!

Lulu
10-11-2006, 02:16 AM
Ruth, just looking again. Am thinking that the boy's right arm/chest area that is directly behind his sister needs to go darker to make it sit back better. Needs more shadow there. Have a look at the ref pic, and also use your photo imaging software to make the painting monochrome, and you will see what I mean.

rmc
10-11-2006, 04:09 AM
Thanks Lulu, I agree - will knock it back some more - thanks.

chammi kaiser
10-11-2006, 04:38 AM
This is a beautiful portrait of two lovely children. Only thing that bothers me a little is the eyebrow (my left on the screen). It is too long. It reaches too far into the actual face. It should only be as long as the soft light curve of where the nose reaches the brow. Otherwise, it is simply wonderful. Chammi

dreamz
10-11-2006, 04:42 AM
your way to good to at this to support your comments. Portraits are the most difficult type of painting to master and you do them spectacularly.

I have no idea how to add in the girls forehead lines but a few would help aleve the painted on eyebrow look

rmc
10-11-2006, 06:00 AM
Dreamz - is that true? - I simply try to paint what I see - trouble is I don't always see right - lol
Thanks Chammi - I agree the eyebrows need some work - I see now it is the right one which is the prob - funny how I couldn't work it out without your help!!

Roger Evans
10-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Hmmmm. Honestly, they look beautiful. -HOWEVER- While this new version is a better likeness, the previous version had a translucent luminance that was just radiant and, to me anyway, made it magical. This version is very good but it doesn't seem as inspired as the first version. Don't get me wrong. It looks wonderful but there is a "spark" missing from this version that is pervasive in the first version.

Man, I just read what I wrote. Talk about totally a pointless, non-specific critique! I'm useless. Continue on. Looks great.

rmc
10-11-2006, 09:40 PM
The opposite Roger, these sort of musings are the gold we all learn from. - It's the magic of watercolour paper - the previous one had a lot of paper with no paint and that is what gave it the translucence - this time round I trialed a more tertiary pallete using flesh tones - once the paper is covered with colour there is no going back - it's all part of experimenting - the only way to go ahead is to try something different and find out what works best.