PDA

View Full Version : "Bess"...portrait WIP

Bertoni
10-10-2006, 06:04 PM
4"x4" on Ampersand White Smooth Claybord.
India Ink, Colored pencil, FW acrylic inks and a bit of scratching.
I found it difficult to get the Prismacolor down on the Claybord! So there's not much color happening here!
Hey, it's a try! :confused: C&Chttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Oct-2006/28168-Bessie.jpg

Bertoni
10-10-2006, 07:06 PM
ps: In the photo I took, there's too much red in the background. Not a good shot....:eek:

Diana Lee
10-10-2006, 07:11 PM
I think Bess looks great and I see color. I don't know if it will help, but I am including a couple of images of crosshatching. It is important to keep a sharp point on the pencil. The three colors I played with are black, indigo blue and tuscan red. The other image I have is an extreme closeup of the native american boy dancer, or at least his red head scarf. You can eventually get a smooth looking crosshatching. It also might help if you very lightly sand your claybord, using a fine grade sandpaper, before you start, and if you scrape any color off (erase) be sure to sand the area you cleared.
Get yourself a small piece of claybord (Dick Blick sells the small pieces for pretty cheap) and play with color pencil technique, sanding and recoloring.

Bertoni
10-10-2006, 08:45 PM
Diana:
Thanks so much! That really helps. I'll give those suggestions a try!
I have some of those smooth Claybord samples and will play around with that!
I didn't think about sanding or crosshatching...that should help get the CP down! I gave it a coat of clear acrylic spray...I guess the sanding would help with that? Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!

WaitingforJesus
10-11-2006, 12:33 PM
Diana..
Is sanding the clayboard necessary if you are using the inks, or is it only needed for colored pencil?

Kay

Diana Lee
10-11-2006, 01:29 PM
Hi Kay,

Just for color pencil.

Diana

Mary Woodul
10-11-2006, 04:17 PM
Burt, very nice portrait and very interesting to know that colored pencil can be used on scratchboard. A lot to learn from you scratchers.:thumbsup:

Bertoni
10-11-2006, 04:47 PM
Thanks Mary! Did a bit more on it here! Am learning!!!!:clap:http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2006/28168-Bess.jpg

Mary Woodul
10-11-2006, 07:06 PM
I really like the way that is looking. It has a vintage feel to it.:)

Bertoni
10-11-2006, 07:51 PM
Mary:
Vintage it is!...I used an old family sepia photo!!