PDA

View Full Version : Inexperience has trapped me again

cookiem
10-10-2006, 02:55 AM
Hi all...I am a bit despondent at the moment and just am not sure if I need a good kick in the pants :(

In brief the story is this...I had a friend request a commission, of three paintings, and so far I am really happy with the progress on the first (below). Being a friend, we didn't talk the awkward issue of price, but when we did it became clear that she wanted to only pay for cost of material.

I am going to keep going on this one, however am now going to do a single painting for my friend and pretty much sketch the painting up....

But I am a little disappointed all the same.

Anyway, sorry for the winge...(have had 9 boys under 6 here today playing and am just exhausted!)

Cath

Southafricannovice
10-10-2006, 02:59 AM
This is so beautiful, delicate. I really wish you could sort out the payment for this as it would be a sin not to pay properly for something this beautiful. Good luck.

sir_real
10-10-2006, 03:19 AM
I've been in this spot before, however, I hope your situation resolves a lot easier than mine did. What's unfortunate is really twofold: you're dealing with a friend and you didn't discuss price up front. So ultimately you agreed to whatever the cost they are currently willing to pay. Now, you could insist on them paying a higher price (or at least compensating you for your time) but yet again...you're dealing with a friend and that leads to stickiness within the relationship. My advice would be to suck it up and then never do anything like this again until all the arrangements for payment, etc. were made up front. Call it a lesson learned.

Good Luck!

ps. nice painting, btw!

cookiem
10-10-2006, 03:38 AM
Thank you for your comments about the painting :)

I completely agree: I trapped myself by not even discussing all the requirements, including cost, before I even started. (kick to right shin!)

Still, the silver lining is a painting I may not have undertaken otherwise - so there is still a good outcome. The local florist has expressed interest in selling paintings, so I will take it there to see if she is interested - or maybe I will like it so much I will keep it for myself as a reminder and call it "A lesson learnt" :D

Cath

rmc
10-10-2006, 03:40 AM
Cath with paintings this good you will soon be selling like hotcakes through galleries etc - don't worry too much about this once - put it down to experience. This is an awesome painting - -keep your chin up and pour a stiff drink -----hehehe, once tddliwinks in bed

cookiem
10-10-2006, 03:53 AM
LOL trust me I am in countdown...and having just stared at Elaine's "Plump Pinot" I am hankering for a good glass of something! LOL

And thank you for your wonderful praise - chin is firmly up now :D

Cath

Lulu
10-10-2006, 04:46 AM
Cath, this is just beautiful!
Yes, chalk it up to experience, in the end it is only money and better to keep a good friend than lose her over this.
BUT .............you now know what to say for next time!

dreamz
10-10-2006, 05:27 PM
Ive had the same thing happen on more than one occasion but it usually works out in the end. Im not bashful in telling them "this would have cost anyone else $XXX.xx" however.

Charlie's Mum
10-10-2006, 05:47 PM
Been there - got the T-shirt!
It's a bummer isn't it? ........ I even had the recipient say what Doc's just said! :lol:
Well, at least it's appreciated and seen!

Your painting Cath, is a beauty - so hope the florist wants some to grace her walls (and line your purse!)

cookiem
10-10-2006, 07:27 PM
Thank you all....your encouragement and support sure does make me feel, well,...normal :lol:

This won't ruin the friendship (I would give the painting to her before I let that happen); I have a child free day today, so will set myself a little time challenge and see what I can whip up for her. Hopefully, there will be another painting from me posted later today or tomorrow.

Thanks again!! Hope you don't mind, but since I feel so good, you all deserve a big :grouphug:

:D

Cath

Heidi7Sue
10-11-2006, 01:20 AM
This is really lovely. I agree with Ruth - if you paint more of this sort of thing, you should be able to sell them just about anywhere.

amaze_1101
10-11-2006, 03:13 AM
Beautiful work!

My thoughts about the friend/payment issue. I think a GOOD friend would value your skill and ability and therefore pay accordingly. Paying for costs only suggests to me that she is not putting any value on YOU.
My suggestion would be to do only one painting at the price you agreed apon. Tell your friend honestly and up front that the time and energy involved working on a further 2 paintings at cost only at this level of skill is not working for you. That you wouldn't mind doing the additional 2 paintings at a better price. Leave the ball in her court. If she is offended then ask yourself how good a friend is she really?
Then again she may well be a valued friend that just needs to understand how it all works. A kind gentle chat about the time and engery that goes into each work might open her eyes. (And wallet.)

DON'T let people use you whether it be innocent or not. You are worth more than that.

cookiem
10-11-2006, 07:05 AM
Thankyou Elaine. I couldn't agree with you more, and funnily enough I have another friend who has already said she would buy the painting at the agreed price. :clap:

So I suspect you are right, that the first friend just thought I would whip up some art for the wall, no problems, without considering the time it took to do it. And even after I did explain the reasoning behind the cost, being predominately the time factor, I don't think she had considered the value of asking a) a friend to do a painting and b) what that might be worth.

And now, rather than doing the additional paintings, I suggested that she buy 4 small square canvases, to paint in the tones of the background (which she could do herself), and then put these on either side of the completed one to sort of "punctuate" the painting, and utilise the space she had in mind. She did like this idea, so will do that herself.

Anyway, the good news is that a) I learnt a valuable lesson b) so did she ;) and c) the painting has sold to someone who will truely appreciate it.

Thanks again to all for the very warm comments.

Cath