PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Nights

Flattwo
10-08-2006, 09:36 PM
30 x 30 inches on MDF

Comments apreciated

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2006/3457-3457_Arizona_Nights.jpg

Henry

Paintbrush74
10-08-2006, 09:59 PM
Atmospheric and interesting to look at.

2bears
10-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Nice colors! I like looking at it. It could be my monitor playing tricks but I almost see a face in the background and a pair of cat's ears (or the top of a cat's head).
Nice design!

Southafricannovice
10-08-2006, 11:53 PM
Absolutely spectacular and the colors are brilliant.:clap: :clap: :clap:

dreamz
10-09-2006, 01:12 AM
thats cool!

chammi kaiser
10-09-2006, 06:01 AM
The colours are wonderful, really really good. Would just like to see a whisp of something going across that moon. Chammi

Flattwo
10-09-2006, 08:23 AM
Hi

Thanks to all for looking and commenting, you comments are apreciated

Henry

WRoget
10-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Since you asked for comments -

I lived in Arizona for three years, and now live in the California's desert. As pretty as your painting is, it doesn't really read to me, as a desert dweller, as 'desert night'.

Desert nights are all about blues and purples, ghostly greys and silvers, rather than red and orange. The trait that defines night in the desert more than anything else, is the contrast in color and temperature relative to daytime. One little known fact about deserts - temperatures can drop below freezing at night, and even at the hottest part of summer, the temperature difference between day and night can be more than 60 degrees - 120 degrees farenheit at noon, and less than 60 degrees at midnight.

Even for sunsets, the blues and purples dominate.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Oct-2006/58151-IMG_0002.JPG

theonoe
10-09-2006, 07:55 PM
I live in Tucson, AZ and spend a lot of time looking at sunsets and photographing them because they are all that I paint. And although I see many, many sunsets in the pink/lavendar range, I have on a very rare occasion seen night scenes with reddish/orange clouds, a receding sun in yellow, and silhouetted cacti and trees in an off -black color, so this painting gives me the "desert nights" feeling.

Theonoe

theonoe
10-09-2006, 08:05 PM
This is just a suggestion, but I would just have three large saguaros of varying arm configurations and heights at the bottom of the painting. I find that the smaller ones almost look as though they are floating in the air. Also, there is a boat-like shape underneath and to the left of the moon that I find to be distracting, and I would also prefer to have the moon more spherical in shape. Now you may be purposely creating a surrealistic scene and therefore should just ignore the above-mentioned advice.

Theonoe

Lady Carol
10-09-2006, 11:49 PM
My goodness Henry, fancy seeing you in the Acrylics forum. Not that you probably remember me. I struggled with watercolours for about a year and tossed them in for this stuff.

This definitely speaks of your hand and the colours are warm and inviting. You have balanced the cacti in such a pleasing way.

theonoe
10-10-2006, 02:11 AM
I looked at the painting again, and I can see a horizon line that is off center where tiny saguaros are placed. I guess what threw me off is that the ground would not be red in a realistic painting of an Arizona red sunset scene, so my eyes were trying to translate it as the sky.

Theonoe

alfredart
10-10-2006, 05:24 AM
I really like this. The texture is fantastic and the warmth and depth are most wonderful.

Great job!!!

Peace,
AL