PDA

View Full Version : Help! Layers in Gouache

term8or
10-08-2006, 12:54 PM
I've just inherited a set of artists quality Gouache, which I don't know anything about, and done a simple little painting using thin washes of colour. I enjoyed (and rather like) the painting, but want to add another layer to make the colours stand out more.

Is it possible to do this without breaking the paint film & getting it all muddy?

Do the colours on a previous layer affect a top layer like they would in watercolour, or does the opaque nature of the medium mean that the top layer will "overwrite" any previous layers?

Thanks!

JamieWG
10-08-2006, 04:00 PM
Thomas, it depends on how thickly you apply the paint. Thin washes will always have some transparency. Also, if you scrub, or brush over an area a few times, the underlayers will mix. If you just paint the stroke with heavy-cream-consistency paint and leave it alone, it should be fairly opague (more opague or less opague depending on the actual pigment used). So you can use any of these techniques within a given painting to achieve your goals. You can also mix with transparent watercolor, which gives the further "oils" capability of working with both transparent and opague colors.

Jamie

Richard Saylor
10-08-2006, 11:55 PM
What Jamie said. :thumbsup:

Also, I would suggest that you play with the gouache, try all sorts of things like layering, glazing, and scumbling, with different paint viscosities, not just washes. Find out what works for you.

The painting of Devil's Tower (done from photos, of course) used several layers for the sky and at least ten layers for the rock. The paint film was kept fairly thin. The illusion of texture is simply a broken color effect.

Richard

katsarecool
10-09-2006, 12:00 AM
I like this work a lot Richard. The sky colors are awesome! Lots of hard work in the mountain. The colors are so vibrant. I know absolutely nothing about this medium. Could you share some info here?

By golly, we are neighbors. If I do the speed limit I can be in W/S in 45 minutes. The way I drive 30 tops! Just south of Salisbury. :wave:

Richard Saylor
10-09-2006, 12:44 AM
I like this work a lot Richard. The sky colors are awesome! Lots of hard work in the mountain. The colors are so vibrant. I know absolutely nothing about this medium. Could you share some info here?

By golly, we are neighbors. If I do the speed limit I can be in W/S in 45 minutes. The way I drive 30 tops! Just south of Salisbury. :wave:Thanks for the kind comments.

I took a look at your blog. Nice work! It's rare for an artist to be so versatile.

We are indeed neighbors!:wave:

Richard

katsarecool
10-09-2006, 12:46 AM
Thank you Richard! Very much appreciated! :clap:

term8or
10-09-2006, 04:26 AM
Thanks Jamie for your helpful answer.

Richard Thaks! Love the colours on your painting!

Gouache has definate potential... I've already found that the colours you can achieve are (oddly) vibrant and muted at the same time (rather like England;), and it seems like it would be an "easy" outdoors medium for my sketchy pieces. Not all the hastle of carrying around tons of wet painting implements...

Richard Saylor
10-09-2006, 06:11 AM
Thanks for the kind comments.I took a look at your blog. Nice work! It's rare for an artist to be so versatile.

We are indeed neighbors!:wave:

Richard