PDA

View Full Version : Week 41 Classical Art Journey

Nickel
10-07-2006, 06:32 PM
Hi and welcome to week 41 of our classical art journey!
We hope you'll join us!
Any medium is welcomed here.
A quick sketch, a wip, an art card, a study of Rembrandt or Franque: a study of Jan Van Eyck, your pick, even somthing from life or imagination in traditonal styles. Newbies are welcome. If you are a pro and want to lend suggestions or show your stuff, you are welcome. Let's learn about traditional art, art from Old Masters, Greeks, or Impression together.

Nickel

Nickel
10-07-2006, 06:36 PM
Not been around too much this week but this starts today in Atlanta, Georgia USA. So if you are not going to Paris anytime soon, this is an option.

“Louvre Atlanta”—a three-year partnership between the High Museum of Art and Louvre that will bring hundreds of works of art to Atlanta starting Oct. 14

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2006/39040-2aa.jpg

Portrait of Baldassare Castiglione
1514-1515
Raphael
Louvre

I believe this is the first trip to America for this painting.

Nickel
10-07-2006, 06:38 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2006/39040-1aa.jpg

The Bathers
1763-1764
Jean-Honoré Fragonard
Louvre

tyree
10-07-2006, 10:13 PM
hi everyone...i couldnt get on line yesterday at all:( it was my birthday..i had to work:mad: but went out to eat after work and got to see the movie The Departed today with Jack Nickolsen....still havent found a camera for my trip..I love the boat that June is working on...and a great finish to last week with Nickels piece....have to get up at 5am ...so everyone have a great week!!! tyree

Nickel
10-07-2006, 11:35 PM
Susan
Happy Birthday!!!!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2006/39040-pooohbday.jpg

I didn't know we are almost twins. ;)

So what is the review on the movie? Did you like it?
You asked sometime ago about my camera, it's old, only a 1.5 pixel.
I bought it new in 98 so it is on it's last little pixel legs.
On the newer ones, I think the pixels are up there, 5 I think is the norm now?
I just don't know much about them now.
I am behind. :eek: :wave:

PushingPixels
10-07-2006, 11:55 PM
I'm BACK!!! Hapy birthday Susan!!!:music: :music: :music: :wave:
If you want a functional camera check out the Olympus Camedia... It has a cool bracket feature that saved a lot of my shots last week. I'm still sorting thru 600 plus pics Whew... but the scenery was so Beautiful I couldn't help myself... I will post an album and a link to it soon I promise. Went thru Mt. Lassen then to Reno,Nv, Bodie Calif and finally through YosmitieCA and home in six days.
here is my exercise for the week.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2006/44004-DeLaTourGeorges-1.jpg
and mine
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2006/44004-wk41Sm.jpg

Missed you guys!!!

PushingPixels
10-08-2006, 03:23 AM
http://travel.webshots.com/album/554652072DrumrK

Take a peak at day one vacation:rolleyes: for a up-close and personal view of an active volcano.
barb

tyree
10-08-2006, 05:34 PM
thanks you all...its been a pretty nice weekend..even though i had to work....barb...those pics are spectacular...what a great trip...i plan on looking at them all this week...thanks for sharing....really good job on those hands too...i like that study!!! tyree

tyree
10-08-2006, 05:36 PM
nickel....your my long lost twin????:p ive always wanted a sister!!!! whens yours????? tyree:heart:

Nickel
10-09-2006, 01:13 AM
Nice hands Barb, I am jealous!!!! :wave: Glad you are back. We missed you!
Nice photos too, but you always take great shots.
And I knew you know cameras! :thumbsup:

Susan, evil twin :evil: today.
It's hard to paint what you see somedays.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Oct-2006/39040-gone.jpg

Mony G
10-09-2006, 04:02 AM
Nice pics... Barb... you are a great photographer!
I like the hands too... although the upper thumb is a bit too thick and the position of the front wrist isn't just right... ( you must all really think I am a "pesty critisizer" .. but as I appreciate a correct critisicm on my work I think you all do too... I think it is one of the purposes of this forum.. to try to improve ourselves together...:o

this is my entry... it is an old female nude of mine ... I actually tried to remake it last week.. this is the most recent version... a sort of "Oriental Style " thing .. hope you like it and all critics are welcome as usual !http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Oct-2006/77963-Odalisca_2006_zip.jpg

I just call it "Nude remake (2006)"

Goodbye to all of you !

Mony

tyree
10-09-2006, 11:07 AM
:music: :music: :music: :music: HAPPY BIRTHDAY NICKEL:music: :music: :music: :music: AND MANY MANY MORE....I HOPE YOU HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY...YOUR A TERRIFIC GUIDE TO THIS THREAD...I WITH THE OTHERS ENJOY ALL THAT YOU DO FOR US!!!! EAT DRINK AND BE MERRY TODAY (and tomorrow:lol: ) Hugs....susan:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

tyree
10-09-2006, 11:12 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Oct-2006/65063-da_vinci_1.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Oct-2006/65063-da_vinci_2.jpg graphite on smooth bristol...leonardo da vinci...la belle ferroniere..1490...ambitious i am to take on this:p but i was sort of pleased with the eyes this week:smug: tyree

tyree
10-09-2006, 11:16 AM
hi mony!!!! saucy little drawing!!!:evil: wonderful figure drawing...seems youve captured it quite well...i always appreciate your comments and critiques...your right...its what makes us improve.....tyree:wave:

PushingPixels
10-09-2006, 07:49 PM
Nice pics... Barb... you are a great photographer!
I like the hands too... although the upper thumb is a bit too thick and the position of the front wrist isn't just right... ( you must all really think I am a "pesty critisizer" .. but as I appreciate a correct critisicm on my work I think you all do too... I think it is one of the purposes of this forum.. to try to improve ourselves together...:o
Mony

Thanks Mony I can always count on you to give an accurate review... and I agree. I'm stretching myself lately. The body is not the easiest for me to draw. Thanks for the kind words I will have more pics soon. So many to go through!!!:wave: :wave:
barb:D

PushingPixels
10-09-2006, 07:52 PM
nice tyree!! you nailed her smile and demple in the chin:clap: the original face looks longer... more oval. gota love ol leonardo!
barb

Nickel
10-09-2006, 11:14 PM
Hi :wave: You are all so busy....
Mony, love the composition and line work.:thumbsup:
Tyree, you got her eyes! And I think I do the same thing in drawing faces.
Noses....:rolleyes: you ever notice these smilie thing dont have noses????
But I like her attitude! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Hi Barb :wave: Can't wait to see more pictures!
Mony where did you study anatomy? Do you have a good tip or book to zero in to a perfect line for your friends?
Thanks for everyones support this year. It's been great to be with you all and enjoy all you do to make this journey a great experience.
Nickel :heart:

Mony G
10-10-2006, 01:49 AM
Thank you girls for being so kind to me!

The human body can be a real challenge to draw... and you really need a lot of practice ! I studied anatomy at art school when I was a girl, now as you know I go to painting and drawing classes in Como where we also sometimes have a male and a female model. I feel I am somehow improving a bit (is it perhaps a question of "maturity"?:o ) ...anyway... I also bought this book last year... my teacher had a copy... ( was I envious ?:envy: ) and bought a copy too ... mostly because I could easily work at home !

I think it's a really good one :

"Anatomy for the Artist " by Sarah Simblet (Dorling and Kindersley)

it's full of beautiful drawings and photographs and it isn't vulgar at all . It isn't hard to find either... I bought it directly from the publisher's website on the Internet .

Tyree's "ferroniere" has great eyes, I really like them... but the face seems a bit stiff and crooked as the oval is much more softer and leaning in the original (I love good old Leo...he's my favourite )

I really have to find the way to know when you girls have birthdays... I always arrive too late for happy birthdays!

Sorry...:(

Hope I'll do better next year!

Mony

Granby
10-10-2006, 07:34 AM
Bon Jour Everyone,

Nickel - I liked the ladies face at the end of last week. Mony - nicely done nude - the body doesn't seem to have enough depth below the waist but besides that I think it is done well. Good work everyone else also.

Here's a practice painting I started a while back and wrapped up this week - I started it completely on a whim to try out venice turpentine from a horse and tack shop - which works great as a medium IMO. This is the first oil painting I've done where I felt the tiniest bit of confidence in my ability to handle the paint. (Is the skin too orange?). Also in another thread here in the classical forum the technique of painting red under black was mentioned. I tried it here and it works really well and gives the painting a sort of supernatural glow.

It is after a painting 'La Bella de Rafaela' by Tamara de Lempicka: but I can't find a link at the moment.

Also, Nickel - one thing that makes a good landscape is a big spooky looking tree: but I can't think of an example at the moment.

Take care everyone.

tyree
10-10-2006, 03:07 PM
thanks all for kind comments and good critiques!!! granby...its wonderful,,,very rich in colour...very confident painting..well done!!! Hey everyone...i got my camera yesterday!!!! Kodak Z650 6.1 zoom digi 10x optical zoom...only took two hours to figure out where the battery and little film chip was suppose to go:p :lol: :evil: going out later this afternoon to take some early evening shots...as this is my day off!!! now if i can only take pics like barb!!!! tyree:wave: :D

Granby
10-10-2006, 05:53 PM
Thanks Tyree - your feedback was very kind and encouraging. This was a very easy painting to do. Instead of trying to mix a flesh color, I just painted her whole body with raw sienna (+ white) in roughly the correct values. Then after it dried: I layered some transparent orange on the skin; mostly along the shadow boundaries + just a skoosh of red to give it a dash of pink color...the rest can be easily guessed..

Book Review of The Week: Kimon Nicolaides; "The Natural Way To Draw". I would rate two chapters of this book as A+ definitely must read material. He has a chapter on drawing drapery that is pure genius-and applicable to many,many things. A chapter on 'Design' in the back is also very,very interesting. If you are the type that is more likely to learn from direct and intelligent philosophical rambling rather than how-to scenarios: this book has some great stuff. Cons: It would take a very,very disciplined person to learn to draw from this book.

Example, one chapter consists of a highly inspirational lecture on unleashing your inner drawing powers. It ends with the following instruction. "Draw 15 hours as directed in schedule 16b". I immediately glance around for a pencil after reading this, and was more than slightly worried I was going to cracked across the knuckles with a yardstick when I couldn't find one - even though I was home alone.

Great quote, pertaining to learning color and composition rules (recalled loosely from my faulty memory) "No rules can govern the creative spirit: at most you can remove obstacles out of its way." Overall rating: worth a solo trip to the library to read those two chapters-the worth of the rest is up to you.

Nickel
10-10-2006, 09:53 PM
Thanks Mony, had to go look that book on amazon, I think I've seen it in person. I've never had a life study class, and it shows, right now I just want to learn for next year how to draw a head with a nose that looks right to me. ;)

Susan, glad you got your camera, sounds really nice. Yes, practice is a good idea. How many pics will it take at one time?

Granby, nice work on your painted figure, first thing, I knew who it was after, so you did good. I've got this book, some of it is good, I don't have the time to do the 15 hour studies. But I do like how he says practice will take care of whatever kind of problem you have when you start out learning. I hope I am not always a student of art, maybe I will graduate to 9th grade soon. :) His chapters on drapery are good. At least I think so.

Did anybody laugh at the cartoon I found? I thought it was funny. So happens to me, painting somthing and turn around and the sucker is gone. :confused: lol. Take care all and have a nice tomorrow.
Nickel

PushingPixels
10-10-2006, 11:33 PM
Cartoon ...i loved it... made me laugh cause usually i'm in the ZONE and never notice what is coing on around me when I'm being creative.

In the ZONE means everything else is tuned out.

Granby that color is beautiful...Mony I saw this book and it is on my list of books to buy.. I am practicing with pastel now getting the medium down so I'm saving the anatomy book for later. I just bought "Pure Color" on pastel painting. Very yummy. almost as good as bard's cake she baked for Nickel.:lol: :lol: :lol:

PushingPixels
10-11-2006, 12:27 AM
pictures at a ghost town Bodie California... more trip pics
http://travel.webshots.com/album/554724346wtesIe

Mony G
10-11-2006, 01:57 AM
Hi everybody!

Granby's oil exercise is nice... the tecnique he explains to pull out the flesh colour is much the same as the one I know... only we use transarent red oxide and white. I don't exactly understand what he means as " painting red under black" as I have been taught to never use black in oil painting ( may I have the link you mentioned?),
I like Tamara de Lempicka very much ( there is now a good exibition by her in Milan at Palazzo Reale until January :I'd love to visit it , together with Umberto Boccioni's )... it's a detail of the whole... isn't it.. I remember the original painting with a head :wink2: ? I don't know the book you are talking about .
Nickel's cartoon was really funny... I sent it to my art classes friends too, and it really amused them as we do a lot of copy from life and that's the way it turns out most of the time !

Thank you all for your great suggestions...

Good bye for now,
Mony

Granby
10-11-2006, 04:57 AM
Hi Mony: The original painting does have a head, I did mine on a spirit of the moment type thing; didn't draw it out first and ran out of room for the head on the canvas. I love a lot of Tamara de Lempicka stuff - there are few artists who have more than a handful of paintings I love: and she has about 5 that I think are fantastic.

The thread with the 'red under black' stuff is in the museum visit thread on the front page - it was just mentioned as a side note that it seems some old masters painted red underneath blacks & blues: theorized that it gives them a warmth and eye appeal which can only really be noticed in person. I think it works - although I doubt you can tell in this photo. I've also noticed the same thing with yellow ochre layered over a high chroma color. It makes the other color earthy, but at the same time it gives off this almost indescribable glow.

I used to never use black; but I am starting to think it is just a superstition - or just general advice for people who don't understand the beauty of shadows. What are other people thoughts on this issue?

Nickel
10-11-2006, 07:49 AM
Just a quickie this morning.

I use black.

I was told not to use black when I started oil painting.

One day, I broke out all the black I had and realized it was an easy paint color to learn the pros and cons.

BBL Nickel

Nickel
10-11-2006, 05:31 PM
Visualone taught me more about color, you all remember him and his workshop, well anyway, he just taught color so I understood somethings I didn't before. I haven't had time to do all the color charts I would like to do, they help. I don't really use black for shadows, more often I will use the local color greyed for a shadow. Sometimes I do use a black for mixing grey, it just all depends.

Nickel
10-12-2006, 06:45 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2006/39040-DSCF1270.jpg

this is real life at my house :wave:

tyree
10-12-2006, 08:21 PM
omg nickel...are they playing??? or is kitty be annoying??? its a great friday the thirteenth pic!!!!:lol: tyree

tyree
10-12-2006, 08:28 PM
pictures at a ghost town Bodie California... more trip pics
http://travel.webshots.com/album/554724346wtesIe barb...these are wonderful...im so enjoying your work and display ....are you going to paint any particular one???? tyree:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nickel
10-12-2006, 10:48 PM
Barb, I don't know how I missed this link. AWESOME pictures!!!
You have to paint each one. :)

You got some eye for composition. Bravo!!!!
Really fun to look at! Thanks for sharing!

Hehe, Susan, that's real life Odie & Garfield
cept here Garfield is male and Odie is female
them's two of my grandanimals.

Mony G
10-13-2006, 05:50 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2006/39040-DSCF1270.jpg

this is real life at my house :wave:

Isn't it more or less the same?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Oct-2006/77963-w6a.jpg

your pets are really funny... they remind me of when I had a dog together with my good old cat Birba... they used to be SO mischievous and naughty when they were together !!

Nickel
10-13-2006, 10:35 AM
Mony cute cat-toon :)
They are just like that
Until they decide they
are going to eat
each other....
or
me.