PDA

View Full Version : online courses

racedolls
10-05-2006, 08:56 PM
hey everyone
just wondering if anyone could recommend a good online art course that i could take. i want to learn more art history, learn more skills and better myself. thanks
Lori

becky2
10-25-2006, 06:43 PM
The Teaching Company has a great course on art history. They use the computer too. It isn't really an online course but check it out and see what you think.

www.teach12.com

beebluefern
10-25-2006, 10:53 PM
Not a lot of art history at Virtual Art Academy by Barry Raybould-but a really top notch online course for drawing and painting-I highly recommend it...check it out
www.virtualartacademy.com I'm just in the first quarter and have learned so much!

rmercer
10-26-2006, 10:07 PM
I know I may get a big frown on this, but I have received most of my art history background from the library. It's free and now most of the libraries, near urban areas at least, have online library networks so you can search multiple libraries for titles and have them delivered to your own local branch.

I know a lot of people prefer in-classroom classes, but I would rather save my money for a really great painting seminar, class, or weekend getaway class.

ternik
11-17-2006, 11:06 AM
"...I know a lot of people prefer in-classroom classes, but I would rather save my money for a really great painting seminar, class, or weekend getaway class.'
Great advice!
Learn as much on your own as possible; go to gatherings of artists and find one or two to talk to; understand your materials(something that gets passed-over in many programs);then, occasionally, you can take a seminar or workshop in the direction you believe you wish to follow.

Folio
11-17-2006, 02:51 PM
Oxford University in the UK offers a 10-week online art history course called "Learning to Look at the Visual Arts." I did it last year and enjoyed it very much and learnt from it. You can find the whole course description etc at http://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/courses/online/visualarts.asp
They're enrolling now for the January 07 course.

zheni
11-29-2006, 02:57 PM
Oxford University in the UK offers a 10-week online art history course called "Learning to Look at the Visual Arts." I did it last year and enjoyed it very much and learnt from it. You can find the whole course description etc at http://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/courses/online/visualarts.asp
They're enrolling now for the January 07 course.

Wow! That is fantastic. So many opportunities for people who work, live in rural areas, have small children, etc... It's getting better all the time. I've been a big fan of the Teaching Company for years (recorded lectures by professors at many universities), and courses like these at Oxford will take lifelong learning to another level.

Digit_Air
02-03-2007, 03:08 AM
Hi,
Just curious if anyone has any information about CANADIAN online art courses? Thanks in advance.
Digit_Air

rghirardi
02-05-2007, 12:28 PM
Not an online course, but lot of colleges use Janson's art history book.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/002-8110197-7912801?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Janson+%2B+art+history[/URL]