PDA

View Full Version : Good C H E A P digital camera for an amateur/novice

steevetheeo
10-05-2006, 11:11 AM
Looking for a good, super cheap, starter digital camera...

I get tired of seeing what I think would be a great image...
(especially when driving)

I can't always reproduce what I see with markers, pencils, and paints...

God seems to have the best art supplies at his (or her) disposal. The only other way to capture God's work is through the lens of a camera.

esc__doug
10-05-2006, 11:18 AM
go to reviews.cnet.com (http://reviews.cnet.com) they have tons and tons of reviews, price ranges, information, etc.

as for my completely opinionated half of this, i say Canon or Nikon are the way to go. they are the two largest companies and i have this feeling in the back of my head that because they are the largest, even their cheap cameras are better than the off brands cheap ones. but thats probably just me making stuff up. i'm alright with it though.

so go check out some reviews written by people who know what they're talking about.

-doug

ps - go canon!

Rich
10-06-2006, 03:38 PM
LOL! Don't we all!:D
Super cheap and good is an oxymoron! Unfortunately cheap is usually not good. I feel you would have to spend 250-300 for a decent one.

I tried out a "cheap" Fuji once and took it back to the store a few hours later. It had a flash sync speed of 1/30 of a second. Normal is 1/60th. The small size and slow shutter combined to give lousy indoor pictures and the outdoor ones were not much better. Went up a little in price and bought a Nikon. I keep it in the car and it slips into my pants pocket pretty easy. Beats lugging the big camera around when all you need is a quick shot.

Good advice from Doug! Check them out.

Windy
10-06-2006, 04:33 PM
"cheap" is a subjective criteria. What is you budget? Have a look at dpreview and do a comparison of different cameras. They also have a facility there that you can put in criteria and they wil come up with cameras to match. I have used Canon (an S30 still going strong) a Nikon (that was the lemon of the pack) and now a Fuji (a very nice package for the price). MY needs changed over the years as will yours.
I would not be looking at the little kodaks as the camera build is lacking and a lot of functionality is missing in the cameras.