PDA

View Full Version : Waterfall

tamiboo
10-04-2006, 01:56 PM
I would like to know if I need to keep working on this or can I call it done....
18 x 24 with a palette knife.

Thanks for looking!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2006/9848-photos_261155.jpg

chammi kaiser
10-04-2006, 04:50 PM
The trees and foreground are fabulous. The waterfall bothers me a little as it seems so 'solid'. I think you need to show some of the rocks between the water particularly on the right hand side breaking up that white a little. Chammi.

dreamz
10-04-2006, 05:11 PM
You are awesome with that knife, the Benny Hahna(sp) of WC:lol: Definately no "gimmickyness" to your works:evil:

Although I agree with Chammi that the falls needs to be broken up IMHO it could use some"water" not rocks. Can you do mist with a knife? (im not even sure how to do that with a brush) that would help soften the edge of the falls.

I really like the composition and regardless of wether you make any changes its a great piece:thumbsup:

Kerch
10-04-2006, 11:51 PM
Very nice painting. I agree, the waterfall doesn't quite look right. Would adding a shadow of the water on the rock wall help? Great work!

valchina612
10-05-2006, 05:47 AM
This is a fantastic painting -- I absolutely love it. If you do anything at all, I'd agree with dreamz and just add a little mist on the edges of the waterfall. It looks great as it is though. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

weera
10-05-2006, 06:10 AM
Hi tamiboo

I like the deep of right side in your painting , good detail tree branch . but waterfall is so bright and it make me think it's so far from rock on the right side. :D

tamiboo
10-05-2006, 07:44 AM
You are awesome with that knife, the Benny Hahna(sp) of WC:lol: Definately no "gimmickyness" to your works:evil:

Although I agree with Chammi that the falls needs to be broken up IMHO it could use some"water" not rocks. Can you do mist with a knife? (im not even sure how to do that with a brush) that would help soften the edge of the falls.

I really like the composition and regardless of wether you make any changes its a great piece:thumbsup:

Mist is complicated, still working on that. I will probably have to resort to a "BRUSH". :lol: better yet I think I will use the tried and true finger technique....

tamiboo
10-05-2006, 07:56 AM
The trees and foreground are fabulous. The waterfall bothers me a little as it seems so 'solid'. I think you need to show some of the rocks between the water particularly on the right hand side breaking up that white a little. Chammi.

I was thinking that too. Solid water seems to be what I get often. I will see what I can do about that.
thank you for taking time to help ....

tamiboo
10-05-2006, 07:59 AM
Thanks everyone for your help I will do some adjustments and post the results when completed..

tamiboo
10-05-2006, 08:19 AM
I did some adjustments and here are the results. Let me know what you think.

I realize the color isnt real good, I took the photo inside this morning with no flash. But you get the idea of the waterfall it's pretty close to the right colors.......

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2006/9848-photos.jpg

Southafricannovice
10-05-2006, 09:15 AM
I like it just like it is now and the mist works very well. Don't do anything else imo as it's perfect!

dreamz
10-05-2006, 04:47 PM
What ever you did, brought the waterfall to life.. I had to save both pics and view them together (its a pain scrolling up and down)

I know it's just the camera but theres an area of light above and to the left of the falls that makes for a charming sunlit glade... perhaps another painting done after that photo? just a thought but I think it would make an interesting series... same bones, different lighting

bushma'am
10-09-2006, 02:48 AM
I liked this painting from hthe first glance. Colors and lighting are good. The background sol\ft and not taking anything away from the waterfall.
There was something about the waterfall that bothered me. I looked at it and then went away and came back to look again.
Your darkening of the left of the painting (our right looking at the picture) did help but still not just right. The foliage you have falling over the rocks on the left side make the top of the waterfall appear to be above the level of the rock and lifted like coming from a fountain or underground pressure. If you raise that bank up to the level of the top of your waterfall, that will take the fountain effect away. I took a pencil and raised that side of the rock bank and exaggerated your drop-step in the fall a little more. I hesitated to over-draw on someones elses painting but knew no other way to explain what I meant. No disrespect make to your original creation; just a suggested tweek for your consideration.
I would like to come upon a place like your scene when I am out walking through the forest.

Faye