PDA

View Full Version : 2nd thoughts re: varnish

studemobile
10-04-2006, 11:40 AM
Hello All,
I have been painting acrylic landscapes for the past 7 years. My usual practice is to use Liquitex gloss medium and varnish as my varnish coat. I feel this increases luminosity and gives the art an "oil painting" look.
I will soon be using a removable varnish and have experimented with Goldens removeable polymer - in Satin. I am having mixed feeling about the result - not sure if I want to stay the course with gloss or switch to Satin (not considering matte).
I want my varnish to: Be removeable, increase luminousity, give an oil painting look and be not be trendy. I know there is no right or wrong but would like feedback. (I'm leaning toward gloss as I fell this has been and will continue to be the prefered method for oils)

connievanwinssen
10-04-2006, 01:57 PM
I detest gloss varnish, because it always causes lightreflections like it's behind glass. I also think it looks cheap. But that's only my personal opinion.

dreamz
10-04-2006, 04:53 PM
I don't normally glaze/varnish a finished work but it seems like many do, perhaps I should start.

timelady
10-04-2006, 05:50 PM
When I first started varnishing I bought a small jar of each (satin, matte, and gloss!) and did a test varnish on a failed painting lying around - so 3 sections with one varnish in each. It not only convinced me of the finish I wanted (matte) but I've also been able to show it to other artists considering what to use. I'll say this: the satin is not shiny, it's a kind of soft sheen. Very nice, most artists I show the canvas to like that one best, but if you like gloss already I'd probably say just go for it and stick to gloss. :)

Plus, the joy of removeable varnishes is that later on you can change your mind! In addition, I think if you're doing multiple coats you can varnish a less glossy one over a glossy one safely. (Rather than the other way around, I don't think it's great to do matte over gloss.) So you could go glossy and then if you're not happy do another layer of satin over that.

Tina.