PDA

View Full Version : New to site...first post

cookiem
10-04-2006, 03:46 AM
Hi all, this is my first posting (other than at the welcome page). I thought I would pop in a couple of the works I have done in acrylic. Actually, come to think of it, I have only done two!

Feedback and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Cath

plec
10-04-2006, 04:37 AM
Hi Cath, nice pieces of work, I like the style it seems to impart an element of movement.
Best Wishes, Ken..

faymcivor
10-04-2006, 05:19 AM
yes I agree with Ken ,Fay

3chaway9
10-04-2006, 07:24 AM
Very well done Cath...do more acrylics....:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

cookiem
10-04-2006, 07:38 AM
Thank you Ken, Fay and Carrie... It was quite funny doing these, the proteas took no time at all, while the other one took me ages: I think I got bogged down.

At this stage I am torn between doing an Iris that I took a pic of out at my folks, some Lilies, or a landscape. I am leaning towards the landscape as I am adoring the acrylics and want to test them on a good sunset ;-)

I have also been going through many of the posts with regard to underpainting, which has been great. A technique I was taught (in pastels) which I adopted for these two pics was the reverse colours first (so red, where you intend to have green)...I will always remember the look on my Mums face when she saw the first layer :eek:

Thank you again for your comments....on to the next one!

Cath

gurleygirl
10-04-2006, 08:36 AM
These are really good. I especially like the color in the first one!!
Tracey

SuzySue
10-04-2006, 09:13 AM
Welcome and I love them. Can't wait to see the next.

idcrisis55
10-04-2006, 09:58 AM
Way to go on these two paintings. They have a nice sense of movement and I like the way the negative spaces are all different.

Ann

valchina612
10-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Welcome to the Acrylics Forum Cath. :wave:
Both of your paintings are great, and I especially love the Proteas. Can't wait to see more of your work. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

Southafricannovice
10-04-2006, 11:08 AM
Very good!:thumbsup: Welcome to WC! Cath:wave:

katsarecool
10-04-2006, 11:17 AM
Hi Cath and welcome. I love these two paintings. I have thought about taking up acrylics because the colors are so vibrant. I have tons of acrylics that I once used for decorating clay pots. Perhaps it is time to put the paint on canvas. Thanks for the inspiration and I also want to see more of your stuff! :clap: &:thumbsup:

tvandeb
10-04-2006, 12:37 PM
Very nice work!!! Love the colors, the brightness and tonal values on both painting! Oh, forgive me; Welcome! Keep those colors coming, look froward to your next paintings!:thumbsup:

dreamz
10-04-2006, 05:15 PM
very nicely done, it will be interesting to see how you do a landscape.. welcome to WC

mrs willow
10-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Hi Cath and welcome:wave: I like both of these!:thumbsup: With your brush work you have given them both a feeling of movement and life.The colours you have used re-enforce this effect. Well done!:clap: :clap: :clap:
Sandy

patdart
10-04-2006, 07:41 PM
Hi, Cath, and all. I like your work and welcome you to this wonderful, but huge site!

I'm new to this forum, but have spent some time on the w/c forum. I went to an art camp last week and came home wanting to learn to paint abstractly in acrylics. I own some...many, in fact, and loved the way they painted on paper, but need to learn to mix so as to lose some of the 'raw' color they show and understand abstract a bit better. Having experienced w/c semi-realism, it's hard to dream up abstraction and I'm hunting around here hoping to find something about it. Anything any of you can suggest would be helpful.

I read the tips section and wanted to add one given me by a Golden rep, but it appears closed, so I'll mention it here. She said to dip your brushes in hair conditioner before beginning to use them and simply wipe all paint off and not dip them in water and you could paint all day with them without rinsing them out. Anybody tried that?

Pat

gingery
10-04-2006, 08:03 PM
Hi & welcome to the acrylics forum! I like your paintings, especially the Proteas. Very nice.
ginger

TBond
10-04-2006, 08:52 PM
Cath, beautiful flowers!!! I like your style!

Kerch
10-05-2006, 12:01 AM
Wow, I like both of these paintings. I like your rich saturated colours, and the contrasts of light and dark. Good work!

cookiem
10-05-2006, 12:15 AM
Thank you all for your wonderful comments. :D I am now inspired me to feed the rubbish, throw out the cat and start on my landscape in acrylic.

OH! And Pat, I haven't heard of the brush in conditioner, but I sure will give it a try!! Thanks for the tip!

Cath

fala
10-05-2006, 12:28 PM
You are developing a unique style. Keep up the good work!
I don't know about the conditioner...if it had oils or lanolin it might compromise the acrylic.