PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Cubs WIP

Diana Lee
10-03-2006, 08:08 PM
I am using a 18 X 24 piece of clayboard smooth and scratchboard ink.

I started the background yesterday. For the rock I used a small piece of sponge taped to the handle of a paint brush and added the ink in a circular motion. Then I rubbed it with steel wool to get the highlights. For the grass I used my homemade sandpaper tool the create the blades through the black and sepia ink and then I used some green mixed with sepia and red to color the grass. I went in with the black and sepia mix to paint blades of grass on the rocks by the flowers. I will be doing more work on the background later.

Today I did the black stripes on the cubs using the black and sepia mix. Tomorrow I will add the rest of the color to the cubs. I am very eager to get to the scratching.

Diana

WaitingforJesus
10-03-2006, 08:44 PM
Diana,
This is going great so far!
I love learning and watching other people's techniques.
You said that you had a "homemade" sandpaper tool.
What is it and how did you make it?

Thanks for sharing!
Kay

Never mind, about the tool I found it...
For those of you who may have missed it like me:
"Using a paper hole punch punch out some holes from a fine grade sandpaper. Take the tiny circles you punched out and with a tiny piece of poster putty stick it to the end of a NEW eraser on a #2 yellow pencil. This works well for small detail work with sandpaper on scratchboard."

Bertoni
10-03-2006, 08:47 PM
Diana:
This is a wonderful tutorial!!!:clap: Love the way you've created the background! Can't wait to see the next installment!!:)

Diana Lee
10-04-2006, 03:35 PM
I have just finished adding the ink on the cubs. Now for the fun part, the scratching.

Diana

Mary Woodul
10-04-2006, 05:32 PM
This is exciting and impressive. I had no idea scratchboard work started this way. I'm pulling up a chair.:D

Diana Lee
10-04-2006, 08:04 PM
As I usually do, I started with the eyes. I figure if you don't get the eyes right there is no point in going on. I have started scratching using the speedball pointed nib and an xacto knife. Here are two images. One before scratching and one after. This is not the finished eyes. I will touch up with some thinned transparent ink and scratch some more, probably several times.

Diana

Diana Lee
10-06-2006, 02:35 PM
Well, I finally got some time to work on my cubs. I am working on the face and I went back in to detail and reshape the eyes. I have scratched and added a bit of very diluted ink over some of the scratches. I will probably move to the ears next. I did a before scan and an after scan so you can see what I did in this round.

Diana

Bertoni
10-06-2006, 03:52 PM
Wonderful WIPs Diana!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

brushandknife
10-12-2006, 09:03 PM
I have to go out of town, so I'm "bookmarking" this one. Gorgeous work, interesting way of doing it. Never thought of "painting" it first! Thanks for the demo.
Carol

Trilby
10-13-2006, 10:45 PM
Dianna, how fascinating to see how you use the clayboard white and build your color then scratch. I've not yet ventured from the clayboard black where I scratch then color, except for using the white with other mediums simply as a support.
You have broadened my scratching horizons.
TJ

Diana Lee
10-30-2006, 08:11 PM
Well it has been over three weeks , but I got back to my cubs. I have scratched some more and I have added a layer of thinned ink. I will spend the evening and tomorrow scratching some more highlights.
I thought now might be a good time to give the palette for the cubs...

The palette for the cubs is…Dark Orange Brown- 4 drops yellow, 2 drops carmine, 1 drop sepia, undiluted. Medium Orange Brown-6 drops yellow, 3 drop carmine, 1 drop sepia, undiluted. Brown-1 drop black, 1 drop sepia then I diluted the mixture with water. The black I use diluted and undiluted.
For the second layer of inking I did dilute both the dark orange and the medium orange.

Diana

Bertoni
10-31-2006, 06:31 AM
Diana:
I've "bookmarked" it as well!! I'm working on a scratchboard of a close up of the head of a cat on black claybord. And now understand from your demo that I should have started it on the white smooth claybord!!
Scratch and learn!!! LOL

Diana Lee
11-01-2006, 07:43 PM
Here is the latest installment. I have started scratching on the front cub's face. I am having a bit of trouble with the foreshortened front leg of the back cub, but I will put off working on that until I do more of the front cub.

Diana

hoart
11-02-2006, 02:24 PM
This is wonderful. Pulling up a chair to Watch this one.

Lisa G.

TrickyV
11-04-2006, 10:34 AM
Diana....I realy like your sort of reversal concept. And the sand paper idea is a great touch. I am following this with much interest. Your sure know how to make a person jealous of your tallent ! Keep scratching Girl ,I'm watching...........Victor :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

brushandknife
11-05-2006, 01:34 PM
I'm back, and wow, I can't wait to see the rest of this.
Carol

Diana Lee
11-05-2006, 03:06 PM
Thank you so much for the support. For some reason this piece is more difficult than past tigers I have done. Perhaps it is jumping around with different mediums. I am taking a sculpting class at my local junior college and hacking away at wood and then doing the delicate scratches of scratchboard complicate each other. The class is fun though. I talked one of my grown up daughters into joining me. I will be working on the cubs more this afternoon and will probably add more to this wip tonight or in the morning.

Victor I must say it has been fun watching your progress on the castle.

Carol, the great thing about painting it first is you can use whatever medium you are comfortable with (oil, acrylic watercolor, ink etc.)

Diana

Diana Lee
11-06-2006, 12:49 PM
Here is the latest entry of scratching. I'm sorry I can't show the whole piece every time, but the board is 18 x 24 and my scanner is 8.5 x 11. As it is I need to do several scans and put them together just to submit the small portions I am showing. Today I will paint over the scratched area and scratch some more. The front cub's hind leg is finally starting to come forward. I was afraid when I inked it it was going to get lost. I've included a detail of the face.

brushandknife
11-07-2006, 12:13 PM
Well, today I start a "try this" piece. Wish me luck! Thanks so much for this WIP. It is an inspiration. How long before we see a book? I can't wait!!!
Carol :wave:
Diana, I couldn't get my computer to go to p. 2 so posted first, knowing it would then take me there. I have the inks so plan to try them, but would really like to be able to use acrylics or wc, but have had some difficulties with wc on clayboard. Did a small piece and it is still not satisfactory, and driving me crazy. I can't "touch" it, the wc comes up when I even hardly touch it with the brush. And acrylics on clayboard seem to "zap" into the clay and dry like mad before I'm ready. Plus I am wondering how well they scratch? Are they more difficult than the inks being that they are "plastic" for lack of a better way of putting it? Also, when you first "paint" the colors on, are you doing any layering of color, or are the darks just that dark to begin with? Are you diluting the colors when you go back in after scratching, or as a second layer. I do so wish I could come over and watch you!!!
Carol
PS, one last thing. I love the little saying on being kinder- it is soooo true.

Diana Lee
11-07-2006, 12:50 PM
Well, I went and did it. I was not at all pleased with the back cub's arm so I changed it. The photo I took him from showed his arm laying sidways with his paw on it's side. Without the clue from the paw my cub's arm just looked distorted. I borrowed the arm from another cub so it will now lay flat. I mapped it out and I will be doing more work on it later. I have also added more color to the front cub's face.

Carol. I didn't have much luck with water color on smooth either. I think watercolor works best when applying color on a finished piece or using the textured board (the textured board is a bit harder to scratch) I found acrylics work well if you water them down and use them as a wash. You would have to play with the amount of dilution to get the right consistancy for scratchability and still have good, strong color, but this could be a real fun exercise.

If you look and my post called Color Mediums you will find an elephant I did with acrylic.

When I first paint, my darks are dark and I sometimes layer. And yes, I do dilute the second and third etc. layers. The point is to be able to see the scratches under the color.

I hope this answered your questions.

Diana

brushandknife
11-07-2006, 09:17 PM
Diana, I have a small start on the piece, but have a bit of a "feel" for it. I started before I saw your post, but just went on instinct, which seems to be going like I expected. Only time will tell as to how it turns out. This is a whole new "ballgame", but rather exciting. Thanks so much. I am thinking I may like this better than just the black- sort of the best of the "world's"- I really love the wc, the light you can get. But they are not as "sturdy" as this with the board. So I can "have my light and see it too"- rather than cake. :rolleyes: Now if I can just pull it off. Don't know about that- always rather shakey with these new experiments.
Carol :wave:

Meisie
11-22-2006, 01:46 PM
Simply stunning! :clap: :clap:

Diana Lee
12-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Well people, I am finally caught-up on making my Xmas gifts. I feel like I am being rewarded by spending time with my cubs. You will probably notice a difference in color. I got a new scanner and I love it. I have scratched the cub in the front and after posting this I will go back in and re ink it. Perhaps I should rescan the whole piece so you can see a more accurate color. I will see how this image looks on the forum after I post first.

Diana

Diana Lee
12-12-2006, 05:30 PM
Here are the newly scanned images. It took six scans to tile this together, but the color is so much more accurate. My husband bought me a HP Scanjet 4600. The scanning mechanism is in what would be considered the lid. You remove "the lid" and lay it right on the art work. It is so cool. One image is the entire piece to date, plus I have included two details. The faces and the back of the cub in the back.

Diana

Obedec
12-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Gasp, Wow, Fantastic, Spectacular! It's been a while because it takes so long for it to downloan on my computer (I have dial-up).
Diane, you rock!
Karen

Garbonzo
12-12-2006, 10:35 PM
Diana this is such a outstanding piece of artwork. I look at each of the updates and see the stars that I'm reaching for when I play with my scratching. I'm still amazed at the background not to mention the cubs.

Diana Lee
12-13-2006, 01:20 PM
Thank you Karen and Harold. Here is the latest installment of the work I did last night.
I worked on the back tiger cubs back legs. I have images of the original inked, the scratched, and reinked as well as a detail of the scratched foot.
I am resisting the temptation to go back in there and make more detail. If I bring up too much detail it will bring the cub forward and I want him to stay behind the front cub and keeping him darker and not quite so detailed will accomplish that. (but I sure do want to define his toes)

Diana

hoart
12-13-2006, 08:48 PM
The change is color is so good.
All I can say is WOW. Fantastic.
I've enjoyed watching this WIP.

Thanks

Lisa G.

Meisie
12-14-2006, 12:04 PM
I thoroughly enjoy watching this one develop!

Rodman
12-17-2006, 12:57 PM
where do i send the check? i think i've learned so much, i need to pay you...thanks..Rod-Man

Meisie
12-17-2006, 01:49 PM
We'll buy her book :D

Diana Lee
12-17-2006, 02:23 PM
Thanks people, you sure know how to make someone feel good.

Diana

Diana Lee
02-25-2007, 08:28 PM
Well, I have been working all weekend to get this done for a show that is coming up. I quit working on it because I wasn't pleased with it, but I don't have time to start another so here it goes. I changed the back cub's face (that is what bothered me in the first place). I may need to do more scratching. I will live with it for a few days and then I will post some detail shots.

Diana

Obedec
02-25-2007, 10:31 PM
Exquisite....I don't see anything to be critical of.
Karen

tanianault
02-26-2007, 11:55 AM
Looks pretty damn good to me, Diana. I love the look on the background cub's face, "Oh, yeah, that's attractive. We are so NOT related." I reminds me of my daughter and son.

Good luck at the show.

- Tania

Diana Lee
02-26-2007, 02:51 PM
Thanks people.

Karen...I am not fond of the grass and the back cubs face bothered me until I changed the eyes.

Tania...Thank you, that is the look I was going for. It is good to know it came across ok.

Diana

Garbonzo
02-27-2007, 06:29 AM
Diana, I personally really love your background. It's so dreamy looking and goes very well with the tiger cubs. the colors are very nice. The tiger cubs go without saying. I think you nailed it.