PDA

View Full Version : Scratchboard owls...with nest!

Crias
06-21-2001, 01:39 AM
Well it took me some time to get around to it (been moving), but I finally put a little bit of the nest under the scratchboard owls that I posted about a month ago. I'm not TOTALLY satisfied with the nest, but all feedback is welcome :clap: /:crying: .

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jun-2001/owl2.jpg

Barbara
06-21-2001, 07:00 AM
Love the owls! Dont know much about scratchboard, but I would be afraid to do the nest too! I'd be afraid to lose all the work on those owls with the nest competing with them. What did you use to put color in the eyes?
Barb

Crias
06-21-2001, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Barbara
What did you use to put color in the eyes?
Barb

The eyes are done with marker. The black layer scratches through to a white heavy weight paper or clayboard, which readily accepts most mediums. Ink and watercolor are common thinks used to color the white. I am still learning coloring techniques but having fun!

Leaflin
06-21-2001, 09:14 PM
Cathy
I just went back and looked at your original post of this.
The nest definately adds to it and has started to ground the owls.
I feel you still need to add some more detail to the nest.
I can understand your reluctancy as it is such a lovely piece.
To over do it would be a crime.

artdude
06-22-2001, 04:04 PM
Hello Crias:
all I can say is WOW!!!!! I REALLY like this srcatchboard pic you did!! You sure did a great job with the owls and the nest. My eyes just popped when I saw this. Coloring the eyes and beaks adds a nice touch. Bravo!! Being partially color-blind my mediums are graphite and ink, but, I would also like to try the scratchboard. Now that I have seen your's I want to go out and buy some scratchboard. Thanks for sharing your wonderful art!! Take care :D

animal
06-22-2001, 06:19 PM
This is REALLY GOOD! I also think the nests adds to the owls so they don`t look they are just floating there. I especially like how you`ve done the colours in the eyes and beaks and the textures of the feathers.:clap: :clap: