PDA

View Full Version : T-132 a Fireman

ponting
10-02-2006, 09:47 PM
This is SweetBabyJ's husband and I have her to thank for the photo.

Great resource with oodles of colours and textures to work with although I did made some alterations in the lighting as it seemed to need some fire refections.

Soft Pastel on La Carte

11.5 x 14.5"

C & C always welcome and appreciated.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Oct-2006/34523-T132-WC.jpg

Cheers, Dianna :cat:

Trilby
10-02-2006, 10:03 PM
Good Heavens but you are a speedy one. you just got home from your workshop in Montana and already you've done this? It's terrific, of course, and what a wonderful photo to have had for reference, I think. Just one objecection from me---what I believe are folds in the snood worn under the helmet are not reading well for me. I only know it's fabric from my own experiences---no recommendations on what to do because I know if you agree you'll be able to figure out what to do.
I love all the texture, the play of colors and naturally the drama of the subject.
TJ

M Douglas
10-02-2006, 10:13 PM
OHHH Dianna!!! you just keep amazing me. This is Fantastic.

Melodie

Shari
10-02-2006, 10:17 PM
This is more amazing than words can say, it is so photorealistic, it just blows me away. I thought I was looking at a photo.

Kathryn Wilson
10-02-2006, 10:24 PM
Oh, I imagine Julie and hubbie are quite pleased with this one! It is a jaw dropper.

One observation - the solidness of the fire reflections on the face mask are not reading right - would there not be bands of transparency streaked through? Not having a photo to look at something like that, it is hard to tell what it would look like.

ponting
10-02-2006, 10:39 PM
Hi y'all:wave:

How nice to get some good feed-back!!

Thanks Shari and Melodie...it sure helps to have a great resource photo doesn't it?

TJ...no rest for the wicked!!! Still on that deadline. In fact I shouldn't have even posted this as it will keep me away from the easel. :) Yah he kind of looks like one of those creatures from the black lagoon with those folds in his neck.... :lol: Turkey neck...:lol:

Kyle. It was a bit of a guessing game when I added light that wasn't there. The original photo had streaks of llight in it but it was not front light so I had to improvise. I took my cue from the overhead shield that was reflecting sky and had no streaks on the front only the reflections of trees on the sides. Since his only features was his profile, I didn't want to obliterate that with side reflections. I didn't think you would be able to see bars if it was directly in front of him as it was with the sky overhead.

I guess it would help to have the photo here. Now this is Julie's personal photo and not a WC resource so it's copywrited.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Oct-2006/34523-Julie_Starr.jpg

Cheers and many thanks....Dianna :cat:

Piper Ballou
10-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Incredible and a tribute to firefighters everywhere. Your details just amaze me, I looked at this one a good long time so I could see everything. Perfect
piper

SweetBabyJ
10-02-2006, 11:01 PM
"Luke... I am your Fodder...."

"Bite me, Vader!"

hahahahahaha!

Only for you, Dianna...

It's perfect- he's amazed at it, and very, very pleased. I think the shine and reflections are good- in fact, both of those shield-y pieces are highly reflective, so if you wanted to add even more colour, you could- but it's just right to my eye. The Nomax hood under the helmet is never going to "read right"- it's an awkward piece of equipment and will always look awkward. You should see our shortest firefighter- all of 5' 1"- he looks like a yellow mushroom someone stepped on. (Chiefs wear white helmets, officers wear red, firefighters wear yellow). In full bunker gear, with O2 pack on, a firefighter weighs about 45 pounds more'n usual- which is why they're always so red-faced and sweaty.

T-132 stands for Tender 13-2, which means the vehicle that both carries water and pumps water from any source to the engines or right to hoses; from District 13 (our district) out of Station 2. If he can't be on an attack line, he wants to be playing with the tender.

ponting
10-02-2006, 11:19 PM
Awww your so kind Julie :D . You know I was going to call this one "The Lietenant" but since it willl be for sale in Canada and we ...for some unknown reason...use the term "lieftenant" although we don't always spell it that way, I thought it might have some of our guys breathing fire down my neck for not depicting one of our own. :lol: So this seemed safer and now I actually know what it means and will seem so very knowledgable when I can off-handedly spout off all that pertinent information at my opening. :D

Hi Piper :wave: Good to see you here and thank you so much....now I had better get to PM-ing Stan before he thinks I dropped dead. :p

Cheers, Dianna

Mary Brigid
10-03-2006, 05:23 AM
Amazing. Just amazing. I think your interpetation of the phote is excellent and very clever. I can feel the heat of the fire in this. :clap: :clap: :clap:

maddy777
10-03-2006, 06:38 AM
Fab Diana!!
In Canada you pronounce Lieutenant 'Leiftenant' because you are a commonwealth and it is the British way of pronouncing it even though both are spelt the same! Either way is right.

There's a bit of useless info for you
mads:D

maddy777
10-03-2006, 06:40 AM
Oh by the way Diana the wedding that prevented me from coming to your class ....wasn't so great AND the bride turned into bridezilla!
Think I could have spent a hot weathered weekend learning rather than sweltering at a not so happy wedding LOL

Tressa
10-03-2006, 07:11 AM
It's wonderful piece Dianna, and now, thanks to Julie, you can sounds "oh so very knowledgable":D ...Great reference photo Julie.
Tres

scall0way
10-03-2006, 09:22 AM
Wow, a fabulous reference photo to work from, but Dianna - you made it sing. The wonderful lighting you added absolutely *makes* the painting, for me.

ponting
10-03-2006, 10:23 AM
Hi everyone. I'm going to give you a like here to the portrait gallery where I posted some close-ups of a few areas of Mr T132's bits and bobs....oooh...sounds exciting doesn't it....:lol: Go check him out

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374367

In the meantime....Thanks to you Mary and Debbie....you've made my day as adding lighting is always a tricky business.

Hi Tres....yes...it's a great photo but then that's not surprizing from Julie and I feel so privilaged that she pops into my sites from time to time as I know she only does so under duress. :p And with her as a font of information ....I hestate to add 'useless' ....I will add you Mads. Should have known my Dad's relatives would have had something to do with the pronunciation. :lol:

Mary Brigid
10-03-2006, 06:03 PM
Thank you for showing the close ups Dianna. I am totally in awe.... "Gobsmacked" as we Irish would say.. wow! not a smuge or a blip anywhere. May I ask how long it took you to do this work? And also what paper did you use? Thank you

ponting
10-03-2006, 07:05 PM
Hello Mary :wave: Thanks for stopping by. I used La Carte and it took me two days. I worked fairly steady and quite long into the day so probably 20 hours but it was one of those that was a joy to work on. Anything with lots of little bits and bobs that keep me interested and challenged are fun.

Bringer
10-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Hi Dianna,

I know your site for long time and so I'm aware that you can do awsome figurative work and anything you put yourself into.
This work embraces several angles of pastel technique, so it seems to me.
One can see still life work and figure work here.
You've done a great job on this one.
And you even depicted the Motorola word illegible like in the photo :-)
One day I'll do a figure painting to, but I better start with Concentra Matel dummies :-)

Kind regards,

Josť

ponting
10-03-2006, 07:56 PM
Your far too modest Josť...I remember a little dish of currents that you did that was a good still life but........speaking of dummies.....no not you :lol: See what I found at the roller coaster this summer. Will have to paint the myself on day. LOL

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2006/34523-PNE-2006-022-sm.jpg

:lol: Cheers, Dianna

bruce johnson
10-03-2006, 09:10 PM
Brilliant as always Dianna...:clap: :clap: :thumbsup:
Cheers Bruce

Goewyn
10-03-2006, 09:43 PM
LOL I love the dummy lineup... :D

<gush>This is amazing, all that detail for such a small piece! I was amazed before but the closeups? :eek: I love the cords and the microphone, they look incredible. </gush>

It looks like a lot of fun to do so much detail (okay, I know that just got me labeled as crazy by half the people in here). :rolleyes: Maybe someday I'll jump in and do something like this. :) But really, Dianna, ya gotta slow down, some of us just can't keep up with ya!! :lol:

-- Linda

ponting
10-03-2006, 10:55 PM
Bruce and Linda....thank you both!!

Bruce....I finally got to see that great pastel of yours....been away for a while. Thanks so much for the invite. I dropped by to comment :thumbsup:

And Linda, I don't think you're crazy...it really is fun and I'd love an invitation to see yours when you find something just as intriguing to paint. :cat: :

Cheers, Dianna

Tich
10-03-2006, 11:26 PM
LARGE SIGH HERE!!! Can we ever expect less from you. :p like the lady says - its a hard act to follow. :clap:

Could I ask a favour? could you post the photo closer to the painting. I am so taken with the changes you have made in adding the impending fire and am tired of scrolling up and down. Ha Ha. I forget what I am looking for by the time I get there. Please if its not too much work.:D

ta ta Tich

JWebber
10-03-2006, 11:31 PM
Hi Dianna,

My mouth is just starting to close, the jaw is beginning to return to just under my ear where it belongs.....you are a one in a million artist!!

Cheers,
Judy

seeya next month! How fortunate to live so near to you!

ponting
10-03-2006, 11:44 PM
Hi Tich so glad you could make it. I think I can oblige but then I have to get back to work... Got to turn the volume down on this computer again so I can't here my email coming in. :lol:

I had to do some fooling around and shrink one in order for them to appear side by side. At least they did in the preview.

And hi Judy :wave: ....such a hard thing to live up to :eek: :lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2006/34523-T132-WC.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2006/34523-Julie-Starr-med.jpg

paul444
10-04-2006, 04:12 AM
Dianna,
Fantastic.
A standard I can only dream to aspire to.

Karen Margulis
10-04-2006, 08:03 AM
This is just wonderful!!!! I love everything about it but I am especially amazed by the way you added the glow from the imaginary fire!! .That's what I am working on improving...how to take a photo and make it into a painting!
Masterful!!!
Thanks for sharing.
Karen

K Taylor-Green
10-04-2006, 11:18 AM
Truely amazing, what else can I say?

ponting
10-04-2006, 08:59 PM
Paul, Karen and Kate....thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I very seldom change the lighting or shadows in photos. It can be a nightmare especially fabricating those shadows. I'm pleased with the way this went although I see a few areas I would make slight changes to already. It's great to have it sitting on my wall unframed for a while. I ususlly find some glaring mistake that needs fixing before it makes it into the frame.

Cheers, Dianna :wave:

dror
10-05-2006, 10:16 PM
This is amazing!! The drawing is more intense then the photo!! Well done!

ponting
10-05-2006, 10:28 PM
Well thank you dror. Nice of you to drop into the real world though I do love your fantasy art. :lol: :thumbsup:

Meisie
10-06-2006, 01:36 PM
Wonderful Dianna!

Meisie

ponting
10-07-2006, 11:09 PM
Thanks so much Meisie. I see your bopping around a lot between the different mediums lately...busy girl. Good of you to stop here :lol:

Cheers, Dianna

Merethe T
10-09-2006, 05:21 PM
Aaaaah, outstanding work, Dianna!!! Amazing details, keep coming back to look again...and again.....love the subject, and the light you've added makes it just perfect...this must have been fun to paint!

Mikki Petersen
10-10-2006, 06:06 AM
I wouldn't expect anything less from you Diana, but it still took my breath away when I realized I was looking at the image of the artwork and not the photo ref itself. Amazing reflections, wonderful lighting, even a great background. Wow!

Mik

ponting
10-10-2006, 10:26 AM
Hello Merethe and Mikki...yes it was fun. You're getting to know me if you can tell that. Anything that has is challenge, works with light and and has lots of little nit picky things to keep me interested. Although I just finished the mess of forks off of the IRL and that was like painting grass....same old ...over and over. LOL

Thanks ladies for stopping by...Cheers, Dianna:wave:

Meisie
10-10-2006, 12:35 PM
Thanks so much Meisie. I see your bopping around a lot between the different mediums lately...busy girl. Good of you to stop here :lol:

Cheers, Dianna

Been working like crazy on FedGallery stuff ;)

Meisie

ponting
10-10-2006, 01:30 PM
Oh good Meisie...I hope to see the red pear at the Federation Gallery sometime. I would love to see that IRL!!

Cheers, Dianna

dlarson
10-10-2006, 08:06 PM
Awesome Job on this, very impressive

ponting
10-10-2006, 08:24 PM
Hello Dave. I don't recall seeing you here before. Hi :wave: nice to have you and thanks for taking the time to comment this fellow. :cat:

Cheers, Dianna

formerlyunknownart
10-11-2006, 12:32 AM
Should you decide to paint this Dianna I've got a good title "Keep hands and arms inside the cart at all times!" hehe, Awesome work on the Fireman !

Your far too modest Josť...I remember a little dish of currents that you did that was a good still life but........speaking of dummies.....no not you :lol: See what I found at the roller coaster this summer. Will have to paint the myself on day. LOL

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2006/34523-PNE-2006-022-sm.jpg

:lol: Cheers, Dianna

*Deirdre*
10-11-2006, 04:32 AM
This is just wonderful!!!! I love everything about it but I am especially amazed by the way you added the glow from the imaginary fire!! .That's what I am working on improving...how to take a photo and make it into a painting!
Masterful!!!
Thanks for sharing.
Karen
Me too! But not surprised! It's fabulous!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Meisie
10-11-2006, 12:00 PM
The red pear is in the Gallery now Dianna (the show opened yesterday, but you probably know that ;) ) I'd love to know what you think of it?

Charne

ponting
10-11-2006, 12:31 PM
No I didn't know that. We cancelled out board meeting yesterday or I would indeed have seen it but alas, I may not be going into town before the end of the show. But on the other hand...you never know. :lol:

Cheers, Dianna:cat:

dlarson
10-11-2006, 02:15 PM
Hello Dave. I don't recall seeing you here before. Hi :wave: nice to have you and thanks for taking the time to comment this fellow. :cat:

Cheers, Dianna

Your Welcome Dianna

I've only done 2 soft Pastel paintings. I posted my swecond attempt here
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372595

And I'm about to finish my 3rd

Did you recently have a workshop here in Arizona?
If you have another I would be interested in attending

Dave

ponting
10-11-2006, 02:27 PM
Oh that is an awesome cat Dave....and only your second...I am totally impressed.

As for Arizona, yes we are talking of another workshop either in March or July. I'm thnking it might be July. Will keep you in mind but the best thing to do is to watch my website. I may have something else you would be interested in. Looking to set something up in Texas for March but that's a ways from Arizona...:lol:

Meisie
10-11-2006, 11:25 PM
Too bad Dianna! :(

Oh and Dave does wonderful work...he did a lot in coloured pencil, terrific work ;)

Charne

TBond
10-14-2006, 08:08 PM
Diana, it's awesome! How long did it take you to paint him?

prestonsega
10-14-2006, 08:50 PM
Diana,,this is photo realism at its finest,,,,,,,,

Nancy Leone
10-14-2006, 09:38 PM
How did I miss this? Amazing work!

ponting
10-15-2006, 07:40 PM
Thank you Tanya, Preston and Nancy....you are so generous in your comments! This took me two good days to do so probably 16 to 20 hours.

Netty
10-15-2006, 11:24 PM
WOW!!! I am gobsmaked !!!!

Please come and do a workshop in Australia, pretty please!!! you can stay at my place and if I had the money I would pay your airfare :)

You are amazing !! and have been blessed with an awesome talent !

Netty :)

MarieMeyer
10-15-2006, 11:32 PM
I doubt there is much I can offer a pro like you, but: the color of the foldy thing and his skin tones are too close for comfort for me. Could be confusing.

ponting
10-16-2006, 02:20 PM
WOW!!! I am gobsmaked !!!!

Please come and do a workshop in Australia, pretty please!!! you can stay at my place and if I had the money I would pay your airfare :)

You are amazing !! and have been blessed with an awesome talent !

Netty :)

Nothing I would like better Netty :lol: and thanks so much for the exteme compliment.

Hi Marie...'the foldy thing' :lol: good way to discribe it. It's the nature of the beast to be that particuar colour so alas, I'm stuck with it however in RL the size of the painting does reflect the texture of the hood making it quite distinguishable from his beautifully soft skin.

Thanks again one and all....cheers, Dianna

Bhavana Vijay
10-16-2006, 09:53 PM
OH Dianna!!!!!!!! I am speechless.........................

I forward all your paintings to my brother and many friends, they are huge fans of yours!::D I am sure they will be thrilled to see this! You are truly incredible.