PDA

View Full Version : Scratchboard - Rose WIP

WaitingforJesus
10-02-2006, 07:58 PM
:wave:
Hey everyone!

I waited to post this also...
As you can tell I jump all over the place as I work...and have probably put about about 15 hours into this so far and have many more to go...

This is a: 11 x 14
Clayboard Black

And I have attached also a pic of the tools I use.
The first (pink) is a mechanical pencil holder holding a pin and the second is a small fiberglass brush.
(Oh and sorry about the terrible pic... I will eventually learn to take good pics of these LOL!)
All C&C's welcome!!!
Thanks!
Kay

Bertoni
10-03-2006, 12:13 AM
Kay:
The WIP Rose is looking real fine there!:thumbsup: Can't wait to see how it progresses!! I bet the mechanical pencil with the pin does a great job!!

Jakeally
10-03-2006, 06:00 AM
Wonderful so far Kay. You are getting such a softness to the petals and the lighting is spot on:clap:

Mary Woodul
10-03-2006, 06:40 AM
There is so much realism in this. The petals have a beautiful delicate look to them.

Rodman
10-05-2006, 05:22 PM
I love the lights angle....perfect...the whole thing makes you slow down and have closer look at what the artist see's...very well done...rod-man

myorca
10-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Kay,

You have come along so much from when you first starting doing these. I love what you have done with this! Very nice job!!

Bob

WaitingforJesus
10-06-2006, 10:58 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments.
Still working on it and will post a update this weekend.

Keep scratchin' everybody!

Kay

Crias
10-10-2006, 03:15 PM
Hi Kay-

Looking great! Where did you get your fiberglass brush? I am looking for one, and can't seem to find them.

WaitingforJesus
10-10-2006, 09:12 PM
Cathy:
Thanks...
I got that fiberglass brush here at a place online called micro mark: http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=81850

I love this smaller brush. The fiberglass doesn't break off as easily as the larger ones that come with the ampersand kit and I bought this and a package of refills about a year ago and still on the first one.

I am still working on this rose. I hit a wall LOL... I began to get so frustrated with it that I was working all these hours and getting no where!!!! I knew that I would really regret rushing it but I am gonna stick with it LOL.
May even try to color this one. As some here may know that I have a serious color phobia LOL! ( I have messed up way to many trying to color them)

Take care all!
Kay

Crias
10-11-2006, 11:11 AM
Thanks Kay-

Did you buy the mini or the ultra micro?

WaitingforJesus
10-11-2006, 12:24 PM
Kathy:
I bought the ultra micro...

Kay

Crias
10-11-2006, 12:28 PM
Thanks- I ordered some today and just have to wait for them to arrive :D

Trilby
10-13-2006, 10:51 PM
This rose is just lovely. I know you can color it just fine and I look forward to that version. This is very poetic witht the lighting you have given it.
Thanks for sharing the info on the fiber brushes as I have been looking for a small one. These look perfect.
TJ

brushandknife
10-14-2006, 11:28 AM
This is just beautiful. I love the "feel" of it, so soft. I hope you do try the color- I know just how you feel tho- scarey, huh? Also, thanks for the info on the tools. How do you keep the pin in the pencil?
Carol

WaitingforJesus
10-14-2006, 02:31 PM
Thanks Tj and Carol for your comments! Greatly Appreciated..
Carol: as far as keeping the pin in the pencel, just cut off the head of the pin and feed it through the "writing" end until the grabber part holds it in. Only a .07 mechanical pencil works though.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Kay

Diana Lee
10-14-2006, 02:59 PM
This is truely beautiful. I can't wait to see what you do with color. I have one question. Is the lightened upper background glare or did you do it?

Diana

WaitingforJesus
10-15-2006, 11:39 AM
Hello everyone!:wave:

I think I finally finished this one.
What do you think?
The picture isn't the best, IRL it doesn't look this "splotchy"
Anything that you can see that needs adjusting?

And.....
I think I am going to try to color this one.
What is the best way to test on this before I do?
Would it work to try to make a copy of it and try colors on regular paper?
Anyone want to walk through this with me step by step? LOL
I have the clayboard inks.

Thanks!
Kay

Diana Lee
10-15-2006, 12:11 PM
I strongly recommend that you do a test piece on a small black claybord and color that first. You needn't do the picture over again, just do some key parts or even just some similar scratches and lay some color on it. I also suggest you mix your ink, dilute it alot and work in layers. If you test it on white paper or claybord you can better see the color before you use it on your piece.

Diana

WaitingforJesus
10-15-2006, 06:34 PM
well here is my attempt at color...
Am I any where close? LOL I am not sure that I like this at all.
I am a little frustrated with it LOL
Maybe you can tell me where I am going wrong.
I did light layers as Diane suggested and scratched out the highlights layered another color, and scratched out the highlights...

Diana Lee
10-15-2006, 06:46 PM
I think it is coming along beautifully. Perhaps you need a little dark red or a red violet in the darks of the rose. I think you were very brave to venture into this and I really do believe you are on the right track.

Diana

WaitingforJesus
10-15-2006, 08:13 PM
Diana:
Thanks for your comments!:thumbsup:
I am not sure exactly where to put the darker reds though.
I will work on it more tommorow.

Kay

Obedec
10-15-2006, 09:57 PM
Kay, I find this breathless...don't you dare give it away.
Karen

Diana Lee
10-15-2006, 11:15 PM
I have a very dear friend who is also an artist. She reminds me sometimes, when I am displeased with a piece, that perhaps I am only seeing what isn't there instead of what is there. Put it away for a few days and don't look at it. I'll bet you will be pleased when you do look at it again. It really is better than you think.

Diana

brushandknife
10-16-2006, 02:31 PM
Had to take a quick look before I left- it's looking very good. I found just scratch, color, scratch, color, until you get what you want (depth of color). The black unfortunately comes up with the moisture and deadens the color, so I think some of the problem in getting the brilliant color is with that. You have to get "rid" of the black thing to get the brilliance.
Carol

Jakeally
10-16-2006, 02:43 PM
I am sorry but I just LOVE this. IMHO the rose is just perfect:clap: :clap: :clap:

WaitingforJesus
10-16-2006, 04:56 PM
Thank you everyone for your comments
Very encouraging and I think I needed that :rolleyes: LOL
I tend to be very much of a perfectionist. Sometimes that hinders me so much.

I will set it aside for a few days and come back at it with a fresh start.

Thanks again! Ya'll are great!
Kay

zuzubol
11-13-2006, 04:34 PM
Kay ....your picture of the rose is gorgeous! This is my first post in this forum and what I have seen of scratchboard so far really intrigues me.
Thanks for sharing,
Len

Rosie_Posie
11-13-2006, 05:31 PM
This is spectacular! Don't get frusterated... it looks amazing.
Andrea

loggah
11-13-2006, 09:12 PM
[quote=WaitingforJesus]Cathy:
Thanks...
I got that fiberglass brush here at a place online called micro mark: http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=81850

Thanks for the tip! I just ordered a set. Also found a really neat mini miter box and saw I have been searching for to cut twigs for Adirondack style birchbark and twig frames.

Thanks!

Cheryl