PDA

View Full Version : Welcome everyone to the Scratchboard Forum!

Bertoni
10-02-2006, 05:38 PM
Well folks, SUCCESS!. The new Scratchboard SubForum is here and ready, willing and able!!! Now there's a special place to show our scratchboard work, WIP's, ask, discuss etc.
So let's start posting!!!!:clap:

Mary Woodul
10-02-2006, 07:12 PM
I wish everyone the best of luck with your work and a very warm welcome!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Diana Lee
10-02-2006, 08:28 PM
This is Great!! Hello fellow scratchboarders.

Diana

Jakeally
10-03-2006, 05:53 AM
Good luck with the new forum .... Have fun:D :wave:

Rodman
10-05-2006, 05:18 PM
i guess i should throw in my .02 cents worth......... $0.02....thanks for the warm welcome and hello to everyone....Rod-Man

tanianault
10-05-2006, 10:28 PM
*sigh* feels like coming home. I'm really glad to finally be here. Thanks very much to all the WC! administrators, moderators and guides, particularly mary for her support, Chris for his directions here ;-) and Bertoni for agreeing to act as our guide.

Well, it's back up to my studio so I can have something to post! See you all again soon :-)

- Tania

JazzieG
10-10-2006, 02:45 PM
I'm just 'itching' to try scratchboard!! ::::groan::::: Sorry, poor pun!! :rolleyes:
Hmmm, maybe I'll start off small (5x7?) and work my way up!

I am genuinely in awe of the amazing work I've seen and am so glad a forum has been designated for scratchboard.

Best of luck everyone!

Bertoni
10-10-2006, 05:01 PM
Hey Jazzie:
Why not start off small!! 5x7 is my favorite size for scratchboard except for an 8x10 here and there!! Go for it!:thumbsup: :)

Trilby
10-11-2006, 11:22 PM
Well, look what happens while I've been away from WC way too long. I've copied here what I posted in the poll thread:
WOW Bertoni, great job. Requesting a scratchart sub formum has been on my "when I get time agenda" but you really got it through in jig time, congratualations and I am thrilled to see we actually have it. I'm sorry I've been away and didn't get to vote, but it wasn't needed. This is so exciting. I give classes in this much overlooked medium and my students are so thrilled about scratchart. We were able to get a separate division in our judged shows at my local art association. Hithertoo it got lumped with drawings but we had enough scratchers in the assoc. to warrant our own division. Maybe next we can get a national association started with state and national shows.
Small suggestion if it is not already in place: include other engravers such as the pyrographers who also don't have a place on WC.
Thankyou so much Bertoni, and the WC admin staff.
TJ

Bertoni
10-12-2006, 01:55 AM
TJ:
:wave: Welcome to the Scratchboard SubForum. Hope to see your scratchboard work posted here on the forum!!! As to pyrographers, I would think our parent forum "Mixed Media" might be a more apropos place to post their work?
I think they'd be burners rather than scratchers!!!:D

Lu-Lu
10-14-2006, 11:20 AM
:clap: :clap: WOW...Thanks this is just fantastic. I'm new to WC & have just discovered the world of clayboard. I'm thrilled & looking forward to this forum.:clap: :clap:

Lu-Lu

Bertoni
10-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Lu Lu;
Welcome to the Forum! Hope to see some of your Claybord work here!!:)

zuzubol
11-13-2006, 04:42 PM
I am fascinated by the work I see here. Is there a link to an online article about getting started with scratchboard?
Len

Bertoni
11-13-2006, 06:12 PM
Len:
A site that I found helpful on starting in scratchboard is:
www.thumbprintsart.com/article/page3
or if that doesn't work try: www.thumbprintsart.com
and go to page 2 and 3!!
I'm sure there are must be quite a few other articles if you Google the subject.

Garbonzo
12-06-2006, 09:02 AM
I'm fairly new to WC, just since Oct '06. I've mostly gone between A&W and D&S but when I saw some scratchings that were xposted I had to check out the new forum. It's amazing to me how beautiful and detailed the scratchboard pictures can be. I tried scratchpaper a few years ago with mixed success and mixed feelings about it. Now that I've tried good scratchboard it's a whole new world. I will definitely be spending more time trying to learn this medium. Thanks everyone for introducing me to this fun creative outlet.

Bertoni
12-09-2006, 06:53 AM
Harold:
Great that you're posting your work here on the forum!!!!!!!!!!
I know I've learned and continue learning a lot from folks here! :clap:

scratchmaster
12-17-2006, 09:27 PM
All these years and scratchboard ends up with a "sub" forum. I don't see that as much of a victory. It's still in a place where most people wouldn't think to look.

Bertoni
12-17-2006, 11:56 PM
Russ:
Your work is stellar:thumbsup: and your website is full of great info!!! Is the Scratchboard Forum you've started a new thing? I had looked all over the net for one! I'd like to join it!!
It would be great if the SubForum were a regular forum, but I think it's better than no Scratchboard Forum at all! There are a lot of great scratchboard enthusiasts that have found it and post! Hopefully more will discover it! It took a poll to get it started.
Hope you'll be posting?!!

scratchmaster
12-18-2006, 01:45 AM
Thanks Bertoni. The links to my sites have been on my profile for years so I hope they won't be misinterpreted as an advertisement of some kind. I'm not trying to pull anyone away from what's happening here.

I've actually been away for a while and Diana emailed me to say that WC! had created a scratchboard forum. I was just disappointed to see that still under the same nebulous heading of Mixed Media. Apparently scratchboard is still not considered a legitimate medium by whomever makes those decisions.

Bertoni
12-18-2006, 07:41 AM
Hi Russ:
I definately consider Scratchboard as a serious legitimate form of art. I have one in a judged show for the month of December. It's the only Scratchboard etching in the show. I wasn't able to make the reception, but got an email to tell me that it created quite a buzz & raves! But obviously the judge wasn't doing any of the buzzing! No prizes from him!!:mad: :D

Little Mary
07-05-2007, 02:39 PM
I just started to work with scartch art. I am very excited that we have place to get advise and show off our art in this medium.:)

Rodman
07-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Lil Mary...welcome...i'm sure you won't find a nicer group of people and some great artist to watch and learn from...as well as good students to share what you know...again..welcome

You know...i have thought for a while that scratchers should be well, SHOULD be there own forum...and IF thta couldn't happen( and i don't see why not)..then we should be a sub of drawing....when i joined WC..there wasn't a airbrush section..and i asked about it..they ended up making one...as hard as we are to find..how are we to build our numbers and turn more people onto this wonderful media?,...that iS my $. 02's worth

tanianault
07-05-2007, 04:56 PM
Hi Mary, welcome to the group - hope to see some of your work soon.

- Tania

pinups
08-23-2007, 10:23 PM
Hi everyone,
I finally found out where they buried the link for this forum. I even did a search for it and came up empty. I have some on order and I am looking forward to trying this medium.

Celticelf
08-31-2007, 04:59 PM
Welcome Les - this is really a fun forum as well as awesome (as in awe inspiring.) Can't wait to see your work :)

Bertoni
08-31-2007, 05:58 PM
Mary:
Les:
Welcome to the forum!!!! Look forward to seeing your scratchboard work posted here!!!

pinups
09-15-2007, 10:39 PM
Thanks guys,
unfortunately my first order came in and they accidently sent white instead of black so I am kind of at a standstill. I have the recommended tools and I am eagerly waiting for it to come in.

Bertoni
09-28-2007, 01:59 PM
Les:
I hope your black board has arrived by now and you've been scratchboarding away!!!

JAKA66
10-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Hi to all:

I'm fairly new to WC (been at the CP Forum lurking and learning) and I'm thrilled to see that there's a Scratchboard Forum! Cathy Sheeter has a tutorial on Scratchboard with a link at the end to this forum. This is soo exciting.:clap:

I just learned about scratchboard this summer while on a trip. Sent away for the tools and have done one picture.:smug:

I'm really looking forward to learning from all you talented people.

Thanks Bertoni for getting all this done.:thumbsup:

happy2paint
10-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Hi..I'm a new member and am not up to speed on this posting stuff so bear with me. I'm delighted to find this forum! I have been playing with scratchboard for a year or so, sort of hit & miss. I am learning so much from all of you who have posted your pics and shared your knowledge. I have some work I'd like to share but haven't a clue how to get the pics on the net. Can anyone help me? Linda

tanianault
10-20-2007, 04:36 PM
Hi Linda!

All the information you could ever want about how to use WetCanvas! is available in the WC! New User Channel.

1.) after you've signed in, scroll down the list of Content Channels on the left of your screen until you see the New User Channel, click on it

2.) under the Latest Channel News & Articles heading in the center of the screen, click on "More articles for this channel..."

3.) scroll down the list of articles until you reach "Uploading Images to WetCanvas" and click on "More..."

There are over a dozen articles in this section and each is a great place to start finding answers to questions.

Can't wait to see your work!

- Tania

happy2paint
10-20-2007, 04:56 PM
Thanks, Tania! I will check this out and get some stuff on line.
I have been looking at your site and your work is heartbreakingly beautiful!! Thanks for sharing your knowledge and talent with all of us.
Linda

tanianault
10-22-2007, 02:24 PM
Thanks, Linda! "heartbreaking beautiful" is a new one for me - I'm very flattered :)

- Tania

GoldenArt
11-19-2007, 04:30 PM
I have posted my first scratchboard and just started reading about this wonderful medium and I see several post about having the suggested tools for scratching. I just picked a small razor knife and started scratching, I will have to search more to find this list of suggested tools. I am greatful that the ground work was done to get this as at least a sub-forum so we have a place to play. I think that if we put a push on with the volume of good scratch work that this may evolve into a full fleged forum. I am impressed with the talent in here and I hope to learn from you all.Rick

Celticelf
11-27-2007, 04:11 PM
Welcome to all the new kids on the block. We've got a great playground. I'm really impressed and excited about all the new work on the forum. Lots of great things hiding in the shadows. :)

PatrickHedges
11-27-2007, 06:42 PM
You know, I've been around a small while in the scratchboard world, but I never introduced myself. You guys just got to know me gradually.
So, I'm 47 with an 18 year old brain, was born in Uganda and grew up all over East Africa, moved to England when I was 14, travelled with a backpack for three and a half years in my mid 20s (itinerant hobo :lol: ) and finally settled in South Australia, the nearest thing I could find to Africa, in 1990.

Artistically, I can never seem to do anything but wild animals (I even struggle to do cats and dogs). I'm drawn to African animals and keep chastising myself for living in a country with some of the most unique fauna in the world, and I have hardly drawn anything from here - yet. But that will come.

tanianault
11-27-2007, 11:50 PM
Patrick: your love for your native Africa is evident in your art - I don't think you have to apologise for it!

- Tania

Crias
12-21-2007, 08:38 PM
Well I wanted to welcome everyone and give everyone a pat on the back for getting us to the point of being a full-fledged forum!!! YEAH! I know I am not alone in looking forward to watching this forum grow.

And I guess I haven't introduced myself on this thread, though most of the older members know me already. I live in Colorado, USA and am 28 years old. I work professionally as a dog groomer, and semi-professionally as a photographer and artist. I have been playing around in scratchboard since 1997, where I was exposed to it in a high school art class. Since then it has become one of my primary mediums (graphite being the other one), though in the past year I have done about 10 scratchboards for every graphite drawing :) Oh, and animals are about the only thing I draw, both domestic and wildlife.

I am presently one of the new scratchboard forum's guides so don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Bertoni
12-22-2007, 05:33 AM
It's wonderful to see the Scratchboard SubForum finally arrive as a full fledged easier to find Forum. It's what I hoped for at the start!!!
Hurrah!!!

www.arthelpinganimals.com

Celticelf
12-23-2007, 09:22 AM
Thanks to all you wonderful artists for making this forum a success, and selfishly, giving me a playground to come to. I never did intro myself either. I'm an almost 60 libarian in Houston, love realistic fantasy art (as opposed to very ornate work,) and have been playing here for the last year. What an unbelievable life saver. I love the variety of art on our forum and am so looking forward to the new year. Terri

Dreamjaguar
12-24-2007, 08:10 AM
Hi folks, have been looking around and so pleased to find this forum. I work in pastels and acrylics but have been taking early steps in this media and it is exciting to find you all. There is such fantastic work here it's a bit scary but will scan something and show it v.soon. Happy Christmas to you all, this is my first post. Kay/dreamjaguar

Crias
01-05-2008, 11:30 PM
Hi folks, have been looking around and so pleased to find this forum. I work in pastels and acrylics but have been taking early steps in this media and it is exciting to find you all. There is such fantastic work here it's a bit scary but will scan something and show it v.soon. Happy Christmas to you all, this is my first post. Kay/dreamjaguar

Don't be shy, we are a friendly lot and would love to see what you are creating. Beware though, this medium can be addicting :p

PatrickHedges
01-06-2008, 08:01 AM
It would be great to see some of your work. Love the stuff on your website

Dreamjaguar
01-06-2008, 09:08 AM
Thankyou Cathy and Patrick, so kind. now i haveto look up how to upload an image, Kay

Dreamjaguar
01-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Here is my first effort at Scratchboard. I can see its a whole new journey. I love it when a new door opens up don't you, kay

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jan-2008/117870-SB-Humming-Birds-for-web.jpg

PatrickHedges
01-07-2008, 05:52 PM
That's great. What a wonderful design.

It's probably best to start a new thread rather than post in this welcome thread, that'll make certain everyone sees your work.

Laffo
05-07-2008, 01:01 AM
Hey great site, great forum.
Thanks,
Laffo

flatcanetoad
10-05-2008, 09:11 AM
Hi All. I'm glad I've found this Scratchboard forum. When I went to art college 20 years ago we used the same thing, however in Sydney it was called "scraperboard" I loved this stuff. I wanted to do this for a living when I left. Anyway, one thing I couldn't work out was - what is the best way to colour an image? Any advice, links etc would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Matt

tanianault
10-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Hi Matt: Welcome to the Dark Side (or is it welcome back, seeing as you've used scratchboard/scraperboard before?) Looking forward to seeing your work. There's a few "stickies" at the top of this forum on a varety of topics and one is helpful hints and techniques: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469652
I think that should point you in the right direction for adding colour to your work.

- Tania

Red Dragon of Wales
10-06-2008, 12:06 PM
Hi everyone, this is my first post to WC. I joined because I wanted advice/chat about pastel portraiture...but I really couldn't resist knowing more about scratchboards....I did my first ever portrait using a scratchboard (they're caller scraperboards here in the Uk) about 28 years ago...is it the same thing?) Well I was doing really well until I made a mistake! THE END. I applied too much pressure and was doing it freehand....should I have traced this and how ?Also how light should the pressure be? I've heard that some artists use inks....this would be an interesting change, how's it done?

Bertoni
11-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Welcome to all who have just discovered the Forum!!! It's the perfect place to show your work and great folks here to learn from. I'm still learning!!:D

faunaphile13
11-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Hi everybody...I wanna be a scratch fiend too!
About 35 yrs ago (wow time flies) I discovered "clay paper", and I really liked the effects you could get for detail but my only experience with it was in white so I had to ink in before I scratched. I was 17 I think so wether a technique was "right or wrong" didn't occur to me and I used pen and ink, brushes and rapidogragh pens to get the textures I wanted. Also at that age, I could sit for hours at a time and go nuts on a piece until my butt was numb without worrying about other responsibilities nagging me for my time spent.
I don't know why I didn't think to pull up this forum sooner, but I'm here now...I tore down to the art store yesterday and bought 12 sheets of 11" x 14"BLACK scratchboard (for the equivalent of what a bag of horsefeed would have cost) and I'm just about "vibrating" to get going but I'd love some suggestions about tools to use besides an exacto knife that would help me achieve different effects or textures without driving myself batty or diggin' holes in the scratchboard. I know that a big part of the fun in creating is discovering things on your own but I don't trust myself not to get frustrated and just drop the ball at this point so any tips would be really appreciated. I'll try to upload a picture peice that I did back then so you have an idea of the kind of stuff I'm geared towards.

PatrickHedges
11-16-2008, 05:44 PM
Welcome Faunaphile and also Red Dragon. There's lots of useful hints in this thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469652) which will direct you to tools and techniques etc etc and just keep checking out the threads......

and start some of your own :thumbsup: ;)

tanianault
11-17-2008, 12:22 AM
Hey, another Canuck!! wow that makes, what like four or five of us here?! Welcome to the dark side faunaphile. Love the eyes on your cheetah - very stern looking :) Hope to see more of your work (in it's own thread) soon.

- Tania

aaces
03-24-2009, 12:23 AM
faunaphile13.....That is one COOL looking big Cat! I love it's expresion!!!!
I wanna see more:D