PDA

View Full Version : Quick little knife painting ... X-post from WDE

stevenbg
10-02-2006, 03:03 AM
I thought I'd post this little (7X5") painting for those of you who might be interested in painting with a knife.
This was done entirely with a small knife in 45 minutes' time.
It was done on gessoed w/c paper, which had been toned with a redish-brown color.
I really enjoy painting with the knife.
I'm attracted by the texture and the "boldness" I get, and the way it forces me to simplify.
However, I'm afraid that it might seem to be too much of a "gimmick" for serious work.
Opinions anyone?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Oct-2006/38431-IMG_1907.JPG

chammi kaiser
10-02-2006, 04:59 AM
Really like the centre of your sunflower. Just feel that some of the reddish base colour of the background could be brought into the petals. You are a whizz with that knife. Chammi.

richhans
10-02-2006, 07:28 AM
Very nice...I also enjoy using a knife to create texture.

Southafricannovice
10-02-2006, 03:07 PM
The texture and colors are beautiful!

tamiboo
10-02-2006, 03:41 PM
I thought I'd post this little (7X5") painting for those of you who might be interested in painting with a knife.
This was done entirely with a small knife in 45 minutes' time.
It was done on gessoed w/c paper, which had been toned with a redish-brown color.
I really enjoy painting with the knife.
I'm attracted by the texture and the "boldness" I get, and the way it forces me to simplify.
However, I'm afraid that it might seem to be too much of a "gimmick" for serious work.
Opinions anyone?

What do you mean by a "gimmick"? Is that what people think of knife paintings? Do they not take is seriously for fine art?
I need to know since most of my work is done with a knife. Makes me wonder if I have been going in the wrong direction.

stevenbg
10-02-2006, 06:02 PM
What do you mean by a "gimmick"? Is that what people think of knife paintings? Do they not take is seriously for fine art?
I need to know since most of my work is done with a knife. Makes me wonder if I have been going in the wrong direction.
Hello, Tami.
Nice to "meet" you.
I didn't mean to imply that I thought knife paintings are a "gimmick" of any sort. Quite the contrary.
Personally, I really enjoy doing them, and I love the results that can be achieved.
The reason I asked, is because I wanted to know whether this is something I should explore further or not.
I was just curious about any opinions that other artists here might have, or may have encountered from others, concerning artwork done entirely with a painting knife.
BTW, I had a look at your web site, and I was very impressed with your work, particularily the fantastic landscapes that I saw there.
Very nice artwork !!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Heidi7Sue
10-02-2006, 07:40 PM
I don't think knife painting is gimmicky. One thing's for sure - it's a lot more efficient than other choices. I chose the same picture for the WDE, worked with colored pencil sticks, and in 45 minutes, I'm only about one-third done. And I do love your sunflower!

gingery
10-02-2006, 11:44 PM
I love this!:clap: The textures are wonderful & from what you've said about getting bogged down with your detailed paintings, I think this is something that you should persue.:thumbsup: Obviously you really enjoyed it.
ginger

tamiboo
10-03-2006, 07:41 AM
Hello, Tami.
Nice to "meet" you.
I didn't mean to imply that I thought knife paintings are a "gimmick" of any sort. Quite the contrary.
Personally, I really enjoy doing them, and I love the results that can be achieved.
The reason I asked, is because I wanted to know whether this is something I should explore further or not.
I was just curious about any opinions that other artists here might have, or may have encountered from others, concerning artwork done entirely with a painting knife.
BTW, I had a look at your web site, and I was very impressed with your work, particularily the fantastic landscapes that I saw there.
Very nice artwork !!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hi:wave: nice to meet you....
I find knife painting to be actually harder in some aspects. To get the detail and make something look semi realistic is somewhat more challenging in my opinion than when I used a brush. on the flip side it is also gives me a sense of more freedom from the detail. I used to stress over every little detail. Now I enjoy the process, that is after I learned how to work with the knife. At first it was very frustrating and I stopped several times.. Now I barely use a brush!:)

rassilier
10-03-2006, 08:13 AM
Opinions anyone?

Gimmicky? There are a few Cezanne still lifes in the Art Instsitute here in Chicago, that might feel right at home hanging next to your sunflower. You did a wonderful job. Keep it up. I love it.

LightDancer
10-03-2006, 12:59 PM
I love it! The texture and colors are fabulous, and if I were you I'd definately pursue it!!!

Charlie's Mum
10-03-2006, 01:20 PM
I also like this Steve - it's a very personal response and the scale and knife combo do stop you getting 'bogged down' with detail.

It's captured the sun and the 'smilie' feeling of the plant :D

Gill (Gnu) does almost all her work with knives - you could check them out too ....... and she did a classroom about knife painting last year - it's in the Information Kiosk if you're interested :D

Lady Carol
10-03-2006, 01:43 PM
I think the gimmicky would imply to the finished product (not that yours is Steve) rather than the process. Some knife works are absolutely awesome and I couldn't imaging them being painted any other way. Others do look gimmicky. Errrr!!!! and I have to confess that my knifing is gimmicky looking. But for those who can master the techniques involved, kudos.

Steve, kudos to you for this result.

objectivistartist
10-03-2006, 02:32 PM
Yes - remember many years ago, when living in Gainesville, there was this guy who had an outhouse shaped shack set up in the mall and advertised himself as "The Amazing Ron" - whacking out[ yes, the correct term in this case] paintings using knives in five [!!] minutes..... :eek: - landscapes on about 16" x 20" boards, in acrylic [so would dry fast], even working from photo if desired [tho that added to price], and having it ready for you when you finished your shopping...... truely, in a word, amazing.....

Robert

www.visioneerwindows.blogspot.com
www.thespiritualvisualizer.blogspot.com
www.objectivistartist.com

dreamz
10-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Steve thats a happy looking flower and a nice exploration of knife work.