PDA

View Full Version : Blue Grapes on the Vine ~ WIP

amaze_1101
10-02-2006, 12:29 AM
Hi peeps:wave:

Well I'm on a high after a fabulous 3 days out of town with my 2 sisters making some awesome memories. To top the great time we had I just learned that I'd sold two more paintings at the gallery over the weekend, so I'm grinning like a cheshire cat today. (Getting sore cheeks :D )

So today I started a new painting for a customer who purchased two other wine theme works from me 2 weeks ago. He wants red wine grapes to go with the other works so here is the first stage.

These stages are just getting rid of the white canvas and establishing the shapes. Lots of changing to take place from here.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2006/41055-Blue_Grapes_1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2006/41055-Blue_Grapes_2.jpg

Hopefully be back with some more tomorrow. :thumbsup:

rmc
10-02-2006, 01:18 AM
Congrats Elaine - I am so not surprised - your paintings are so excellent.
Glad you had such a superb weekend with your sisters - I bet a bit of the fruit of the vine went down with those memories.
Thanks for doing this as a WIP - always learn so much from watching you

Lulu
10-02-2006, 01:45 AM
how fantastic for you! and like Ruth - and anyone else here I'm sure, no surprises about your sales! So pleased you had a good sisterly time, have been thinking 'bout you and the memories you were creating;)

Already this painting is looking great - looking forward to progress updates.

gnu
10-02-2006, 02:33 AM
Go Elaine!! these also look yummy...I feel I could reach out and feel those brown leaves already!
I know how you feel about the sales....:)

chammi kaiser
10-02-2006, 05:01 AM
You deserve to have stiff cheeks! Smile away girl. Your paintings are great. This one looks like a winner too. Looking forward to the final. Well done. Chammi.

valchina612
10-02-2006, 05:17 AM
Congratulations Elaine on the sales, and I'm so glad you had such a great sisterly weekend. I often wish I had sisters. Your WIP is looking GREAT. I'm so pleased you're doing it as a WIP, as I love following along with your paintings. Have pulled up my chair. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

3chaway9
10-02-2006, 05:39 AM
Wow Elaine....going to be a winner.....congrats. :clap: on the sales BTW....i'm not surprised...:thumbsup:

Nitsa
10-02-2006, 06:26 AM
Wooohooo, congratulations on the sales!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

idcrisis55
10-02-2006, 09:40 AM
I'm grinning right along with you Elaine, as I am thrilled for you on the sales and your fun weekend. This WIP is looking fab already.

Ann

amurphy
10-02-2006, 09:52 AM
Congrats Elaine.......The paintings that sold, are they ones we've seen here.
Love the WIP........and its a commission too!!

Audrey

Southafricannovice
10-02-2006, 03:04 PM
congrats on the sales and I love how this one is turning out! Good luck!

amaze_1101
10-02-2006, 03:12 PM
Thanks for looking in guys.:wave:

Just want to share a little pic of my sisters and I before I head up to the studio to paint. The one in the lemon is Cathy, the eldest. She lives in scotland and is home on a short vacation. She is also a cancer survivor. God is great! My younger sister Veronica is on the left. Whenever Cathy comes home we three girls head off on a weekend away to gossip, giggle and gang up on eachother. We ALWAYS have a hoot of a time. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Oct-2006/41055-3_Girls_sml.jpg

Congrats Elaine.......The paintings that sold, are they ones we've seen here.
Love the WIP........and its a commission too!!

Audrey
Yes Audrey. I posted them here a while back. You might remember seeing them. I hung three together at a restaurant and this guy bought the two in the pic and left the third which were white wine grapes. He asked if I would paint red wine grapes.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Oct-2006/41055-RON.jpg

Be back later :wave:

Nayana
10-02-2006, 03:43 PM
looks great, looking forward to the finished product.

Lulu
10-02-2006, 03:48 PM
great family resemblance Elaine! The three musketeers eh??:D
Background of Akaroa looks fabulous too!

rmc
10-02-2006, 04:09 PM
My goodness, Elaine - this sure makes your visits even more special - say Hi to Veronica and Cathy for us - three good lookers in one family - it's not fair!!

TxAggieDarlin
10-02-2006, 04:58 PM
What a wonderful painting.....Simple and yet..........not so simple lol...great job

Serenity
10-02-2006, 07:52 PM
CONGRATS on the sales, Elaine!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lovely pic of you with your sisters......glad to hear you had a wonderful time away with them.

This painting is off to a GREAT start! :thumbsup:

fala
10-02-2006, 08:51 PM
I have no sisters and always thought it would be great. The three of you look so happy to be together.
Congratulations on your sales. The new one is going to be gorgeous.

gingery
10-02-2006, 11:39 PM
Congrats on your sales!:clap: That's fantastic! I'm so glad that you've had such a terrific visit with your sisters & what a wonderful photo!:thumbsup: The new painting is going to be another great one, as well.
ginger

gurleygirl
10-03-2006, 03:03 PM
I am in awe of your skill!!
Tracey

amaze_1101
10-03-2006, 11:11 PM
Hi again. Thanks for the nice comments about the painting and my sisters. Cathy goes back to Scotland end of next week.:crying: Will be hard to say farewell.

I didn't get any painting done yesterday after all. Have done a bit today though, working on the background and in particular the top right corner. You probably won't see much change in fact.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2006/41055-Blue_Grapes_3.jpg

Top right corner...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2006/41055-Blue_Grapes_4.jpg

Be back soon:wave:

rmc
10-04-2006, 02:47 AM
Actually it has been really useful to see your work at a less finished stage - to see how you are blocking in the values and structure and colours prior to defining the details, so we thank all those who have kept you busy:lol: .
The sunlight is begining to pour in through that top left corner.:clap:
Do you take your own reference photos for these, Elaine?

valchina612
10-04-2006, 06:11 AM
Looking great, and very informative Elaine. I have my chair well and truly pulled up in the front row. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

maltman
10-04-2006, 08:36 AM
Looking good Elaine....you must let me know beforehand when you are about to post....almost missed this!!

Glad you had a great time with your sisters

Brian

amaze_1101
10-04-2006, 02:41 PM
Thanks and Hi again.
This week has been such a muddle so far. It's Wednesday morning already and I thought I'd be getting to the finishing stages of this by now. Having my sister here is slowing me down and it's also the school holidays. Things will settle down from next week when the kids are back at school and Cathy prepares to fly back to Scotland. Won't get much done if anything today as I have errands to run.

Do you take your own reference photos for these, Elaine?

Hi Ruth A lot of my work is from my own reference material, but now and then I use a couple of royalty free websites. This one is from a website because I didn't have what the customer was asking for and it isn't the grapes season here until February. Can't wait that long. :eek:

Hello Maltymagnificent, my old friend :wave:
My eyes always light up whenever I see your name attached to my threads. :angel: I'll be sure to PM you from now on. :thumbsup:

Thanks Val. Nice to know you're sitting there watching so closely. I'll have to be carefull I don't trip over you as I paint! :eek: :smug:

Be back with more updates as soon as I can.:wave:

nostalgia
10-04-2006, 03:22 PM
This is looking good as always :clap: What size is it actually (cm?)?

Oh, I'd like to watch you paint too. :D

amaze_1101
10-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Sorry, the size is 30" x 24" (or 76cm x 61cm)

Actually I managed to get in a couple of hours this morning. I have to go run those errands now though.

Here's an update. Still working the background, blending and softening all edges to give it that out of focus look. I havn't touched the top left leaves since the first stage. Will work on them tomorrow.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2006/41055-Blue_Grapes_5.jpg

Here's a small view of stages 1, 2 and 3 for you to compare the subtle differences.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2006/41055-123.jpg

Be back tomorrow hopefully:wave:

amaze_1101
10-05-2006, 08:12 PM
While you weren't looking I got a little more done. Worked in some texture on that left side leaf and also some veins on the right one. Still got to work that one as I'm not happy with it yet.
I added another layer to the top left leaves and will let those sit there while I work the grapes. Have been mostly working on the grapes all day giving them some plumpness. Glazes to come there yet but there are some subtle green glazes down the left side of the bunch from the reflected leaves, but I doubt you can see that on the screen.
Will add some more shadow depth on the left of the bunch in parts and around the edges here and there all over. Highlights need tidying up later too.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2006/41055-Blue_Grapes_7.jpg

Margaret 59
10-05-2006, 08:52 PM
Congrats on the sale Elaine and the lovely time with your sisters. Where does Cathie live in Scotland? Just being nosey as I hail from Paisley.
This latest painting is looking super already. I'll have to pay more attention to the process as I forget so easily.

rmc
10-05-2006, 09:14 PM
Elaine - your control of colour and light is so superb- I swear I can see your reflection in that shinest grape taking the photo!!!!

Georgi
10-05-2006, 11:15 PM
This is wonderful, Elaine...you're inspiring me to get motivated. I've just started on my first painting after a break for a while. I've been kicking myself into gear and this is just what I need!

As is WetCanvas...I've missed not visiting...so I'm doing a lot of viewing at the moment.:)

Cheers,
Georgi
:wave:

http://kitconn.blogspot.com/

objectivistartist
10-05-2006, 11:34 PM
Coming along nicely - just about to be done when want to pluck them.....:D

Robert

Serenity
10-06-2006, 12:28 AM
I love the vibrance of colour and light you achieve, Elaine. Looking forward to the next stages.

lensman
10-06-2006, 08:07 PM
Love the way you get depth in your paintings... although I'm still not sure how you do it!

Glenn

amaze_1101
10-08-2006, 03:13 PM
Hi again:wave:

Where does Cathie live in Scotland? Just being nosey as I hail from Paisley. Margaret, she lives up north, not far from Inverness, in a small town called Grantown-on-Spey.

Georgi, good for you getting started again. Always great to see someone getting inspired.:thumbsup:

Thanks Ruth, Glenn, Robert & Serenity:wave:

Well I thought I'd add a close up of the grapes so far. You might be able to see the purple and green glazes floating around them over the blues. I want to keep most of the grapes looking powdery (matt) and a just few shinny. There's still more work to do on them to soften the edges of the glazes. (I sometimes work so quickly things get untidy.:o ) Then those top leaves need to be worked on. I want to get this finished today so I'll post another update tonight.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2006/41055-Blue_Grapes_Detail_1.jpg

Lulu
10-08-2006, 03:46 PM
I want to put them in my fruit smoothy for breakfast Elaine!! they are looking yum!!!

rmc
10-09-2006, 06:47 AM
Looking magnificent - love those purple and green glazes - I would just love to watch you paint, Elaine - these are developing into something awesome.

firebrush
10-09-2006, 12:14 PM
I love bug's-eye views of still life. 10/10 :cool:

amaze_1101
10-09-2006, 02:56 PM
Ok Here's a detail of the grapes finished. I added more depth to the left side of the bunch and also a little around individual grapes all over. The glazes are of lemon yellow, permanent rose and burnt sienna.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Oct-2006/41055-Blue_Grapes_Detail_2.jpg

amaze_1101
10-09-2006, 03:04 PM
I've posted the FINISHED painting in a new thread called 'Plump Pinot' (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5026761#post5026761)

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to follow along.:thumbsup: :wave:

Autumnwillow
10-10-2006, 10:46 PM
My God, I am in awe of what you are able to accomplish with acrylics. Just incredible! I usually hang out in the Dec Arts forum, so I don't know that I've seen your work before. I'm a fan now, just amazing... :eek:

Michele

Becktoria
10-13-2006, 02:28 AM
DITTO...I am a muralist and have just realized a much better way to paint grapes!
Stunning work...I applaud you!

Charlie's Mum
10-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Amazing Amaze!!!!!
Sorry I missed this thread earlier - it'd pretty fantastic Elaine!
The 3-dimensionality of the grapes in the final upload is superb ............ off now to see the new thread :D

Hope the client is satisfied - though hard to see why he wouldn't be!

bowerbird
10-13-2006, 08:05 PM
Thankyou for sharing this ! Fabulous. :clap: :clap: I have forgotton how beautiful grapes are - havent had any for ages cos at the moment they are sooooo expensive ! 15 or 16 Aussie dollars a kilo !:(