PDA

View Full Version : October Pastel Strokes

sundiver
10-01-2006, 10:03 PM
Welcome to the October edition of PASTEL STROKES! Those who participated in previous months already know the guidlines. For all newbies, they are as follows.

A new photo project will be posted at the first of each month. The photo is chosen by the guide or moderator hosting each individual month. If you are interested, create a painting from the photo and upload it to this thread for discussion.
You can paint as many versions as you like and they can be any size. Both oilies and softies are invited.
I thought you might like to play with water reflections and pretty clouds this month. Feel free to crop, re-arrange, and interpret the image to your liking!
I uploaded a larger image to the Reference Image Library.
Click here for that:http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=66804
Here's this month's image. Hope you enjoy it!

Shari
10-01-2006, 10:16 PM
Wendy, could you just clarify this pic for me. I am not clear about the foreground, at least on my monitor, it looks like it's all water, but I am wondering if it is a sandy shore or water with wind on it in the near foreground. Thanks.

Deborah Secor
10-01-2006, 11:23 PM
MMMMMMM, my kind of photo, Wendy! This should be fun... :thumbsup: didn't someone just run a thread on water in Pastel Talk--a review of Bob Rohm's DVDs? Was that it?

I can't tell for sure, Shari, but to me it looks like shallow water over a sandy area--shore or sandbar, whatever. Remember, you can do whatever you want to, including cropping that part off!

I bet we'll see some great variations on this theme. (Anyone gonna do it in complementary colors? HA! Just kidding... :wink2:)

Deborah

*Violet*
10-02-2006, 02:39 AM
i look forward to participating this month ... this picture looks like fun and not quite as challenging as last month's ... :cat: ... but mostly i'm hoping to just get to do more art this month ... :)

sundiver
10-02-2006, 05:40 AM
MMMMMMM, my kind of photo, Wendy!
Deborah

Yes, Deborah, we'll likely be nagging you for advice on clouds!

The foreground is wet sand and clumps of seaweed. The tide is going out.
Hetre's a paled-down version- maybe easier to see what's going on. But feel free to leave the foreground out, crop, whatever!

Tressa
10-02-2006, 08:08 AM
I'm in:D :D
Tres

KA Obee
10-02-2006, 10:38 AM
I haven't played with my pastels in way too long. This will be a great way get my hands dusty again. Thanks!
KA

K Taylor-Green
10-02-2006, 02:47 PM
Oh, I hope I get to do this!

Tressa
10-02-2006, 03:36 PM
I couldn't wait to get on this one, so I started it as a demo in class today. Not finished, but this is aprox 2 hours. 11x17 on white Wallis with a watercolor underpainting. Any comments or critique welcome... Tres

Tressa
10-02-2006, 03:42 PM
oops! Here it is...Tres
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Oct-2006/76189-PICT0053-2.JPG

sundiver
10-02-2006, 03:55 PM
Girl,you don't waste any time, do you?:D This is a fabulous start.

KA Obee
10-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Tres,
Beautiful as always!
KA

Tressa
10-02-2006, 05:31 PM
Thanks Wendy and Ka...It still has some work, but I am liking this one. Great picture Wendy.:thumbsup:
Tres

AngelaF
10-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful, Tres. The sky is especially awesome.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Pat Isaac
10-02-2006, 07:08 PM
I guess you didn't waste any time, Tres and it is a beatiful start.
This will be a HUGE challenge for me, but I hope to try it.

Pat

binkie
10-02-2006, 09:21 PM
Tressa, great beginning with gorgeous colors!

binkie

*Violet*
10-02-2006, 09:39 PM
you did wonderfully !! ... definitely caught the mood ... sunset, clouds, water are fabulous ...

maddy777
10-03-2006, 06:27 AM
Hi folks haven't been on much or painting much, suffering with morning sickness. Got the bog standard 'you haven't psoted for months' message when I logged on!!
I may try to have a go at this, depends on the tummy!
Can't wait to see evryone elses version, Lovely work Tressa!
mads

scall0way
10-03-2006, 02:35 PM
Wow, off to a great start Tres. love the sky! I really hope to try this one too if I get a few minutes here or there :)

granddad
10-03-2006, 07:26 PM
great job, Tres, can't wait to see it finished. james

paul444
10-04-2006, 07:19 AM
Lovely painting Tres, great use of colours with a good sense of distance.
I'm going to start mine tomorrow.

sundiver
10-04-2006, 08:46 PM
Hi folks haven't been on much or painting much, suffering with morning sickness. Got the bog standard 'you haven't psoted for months' message when I logged on!!
I may try to have a go at this, depends on the tummy!
Can't wait to see evryone elses version, Lovely work Tressa!
mads

Yikes, poor tummy! I remember that well. Worth it in the long run, but no fun while it's happening!

CJMonty
10-05-2006, 09:57 PM
HI Everyone,

Well I have never tried any of the monthly sketches yet but I may well try this one, so far I have printed off an A4 sized copy. Just a question to those of you with the experience, what would be the best colour paper to try this one on for the best results, remembering that I only have Canson and Colourfix to choose from here and I do prefer he Colourfix.

CJ.

sundiver
10-06-2006, 05:56 AM
I've started mine on storm blue Colorfix, but it's kind of gloomy and now I have to defeat that gloominess, so I don't recommend that lol. I'm thinking now that red Canson might have worked better, or a bright blue to make the orange sparkle more. Black might be nice....

sundiver
10-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Here are the first two stages of mine. I need to let it sit for a few days to set the oil pastels and look for what else is needed. Critiques are very welcome!
It's 8x10 on Colorfix; the paper color can be seen in the first stage. It's a combo of opies and softies, mostly opies at this point, and I put the pastel on in a hatching kinda way in hopes that it would keep me from getting bogged down in detail.

*Violet*
10-06-2006, 03:11 PM
oh my, wendy ... your two images are so mesmorizing viewing them together and comparing ... not to mention inspirational and educational !! ... your painting looks wonderful as is ... i'd be interested to know indeed what you think needs working on in a couple days !! ... thank you for posting both !!

Pat Isaac
10-06-2006, 04:30 PM
These are awesome, Wendy and both very different in mood. I'm still debating this one.

Pat

Tressa
10-06-2006, 05:50 PM
Awsome Wendy!! Love the look of the ops, and the softies together. Have not done that yet!
Tres

paul444
10-08-2006, 05:35 AM
Wendy - well done, this looks fantastic.

scall0way
10-08-2006, 08:33 AM
I just love this ref! I was dying to try it, but trying to figure out when I would have time! I think I'm a bit overscheduled these days, since I work a full 40+ hours five days a week. Then I have Spanish class Monday night, Oratorio Society Tuesday night, art class Wednesday night, choir rehearsal Thursday night.... Friday night I crash, :lol:. Then there is the weekend when I have to squeeze everything else in! Including extra choir rehearsal and church service on Sunday morning, and today I even have a Music Committee meeting at church after the service. :eek:. Plus I'm still working on stripping multiple layers of wallpaper in bedroom ,and then spackling, sanding, priming and painting.

But this morning I woke up nice and early with a couple spare hours before choir, and decided to jump up and *do* something instead of lolling around in bed as I normally do on Sunday mornings. And this project called my name!

I'm always buying pads of multi-colored Canson paper for art class - and I quickly use the various grays, blues, greens, etc - but I'm always left over with this orangey color I don't much like and rarely use. But it seemed perfect for this project! Of course then I realized that my pastels are all out in the car, never brought in since art class on Wednesday. But I recalled I had a few odds and ends of colors in a little box here in the house. I looked in the box and decided I probably had some enough colors for the project!

So here is my painting after about 30 minutes of work. I might do a bit more tweaking. It's done on a 12x16 sheet of sort of pumpkin-colored Canson Mi Tientes, smooth side, with about a dozen different odds and ends of colors - mostly NuPastels, but some lovely Unison as well. This was so much fun. I love this pic. May see what tweaks it may need later, but time to get ready for choir now. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2006/62165-October_pastel_new-1.JPG

Tressa
10-08-2006, 10:31 AM
Great job Debbie!!! See what you can do with a little time, a piece of paper, and some stray colors???:lol: It's beautiful!!
Tres

Pat Isaac
10-08-2006, 10:41 AM
This is wonderful, Debbie and in only 30 min.!!! I was exhausted reading your post. Busy lady, but there is always tiime for art.

Pat

*Violet*
10-08-2006, 11:40 AM
lovely, debbie! ... impressive you can achieve that in so little time ... i love the looseness ... i admire that ... and i'm amazed you can still find time to do art with that schedule !! ...

*Violet*
10-08-2006, 02:00 PM
i thought this one was going to be easier than it was ... *sigh* ... i laboured on it ... then saw debbie's *quickie* and had to take some of the *tightness* out of mine so i went at it without my glasses on :lol: :lol: :lol: ... anyway ... for what it's worth ... here's my effort ... and please feel free to critique as i'd like to better myself and know there's lots of room for improvement !! ... :o .... all comments are greatly appreciated ....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2006/46454-violet_sunset_SM.jpg

pequan
10-08-2006, 02:08 PM
Hey Violet: That is gorgeous...I am going to follow your example and leave my glasses off when and if I do my version..the reflections are wonderful..I only have one concern and that is in the clouds.(in the upper left)...should the bottoms of the clouds be straighter? Really a beautiful painting!!

Pat Isaac
10-08-2006, 03:06 PM
Wow, Violet. Very, very nice. Great reflections and I agree with Pequan about the bottoms of the clouds.

Pat

*Violet*
10-08-2006, 04:37 PM
pequan ... pat ... thank you both very much ... i've made that fix (hopefully effectively enough) ... here she is now ...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2006/46454-violet_sunset_SM.jpg

scall0way
10-08-2006, 05:35 PM
Lovely Violet. What an interesting idea to take your glasses off to paint! Mine would be just blobs and blotches if I tried that. But maybe I need to put mine ON. I guess I can't see at all what people are talking about with your cloud and why it should have a straighter bottom - and I can't even see any changes made in your next picture. Maybe I need *newer* glassed and a better prescription. :D

Your water is especially lovely. Isn't this a fun ref to paint?

scall0way
10-08-2006, 06:13 PM
Here are the first two stages of mine. I need to let it sit for a few days to set the oil pastels and look for what else is needed.

Looking good to me! Love the vibrant colors in this one.

*Violet*
10-08-2006, 06:29 PM
debbie ... don't worry about your eyes ... i looked at the two i have posted and they look exactly the same to me too !! ... i guess since they both had the same name the thread updated the earlier with the latter? ... :confused: ... maybe i needed to upload an image with a different name the 2nd time ...?? ... but now i see something else i must change !! ...:eek: ... the cloud i fixed got joined to another and now it looks like there's a neck to a duck's head on it !! ... i'll fix that but won't bother uploading that change so as not to take up so much of this thread !! ... :lol:

scall0way
10-08-2006, 08:42 PM
debbie ... don't worry about your eyes ... i looked at the two i have posted and they look exactly the same to me too !! ... i guess since they both had the same name the thread updated the earlier with the latter? :

Oh yes, I saw that happen to someone else too. If the pic has the same name all older versions with that name get updated too, so you have to make sure the name is at least one character different!

I do hope you'll post updates too. The header says you can do as many copies as you would like so surely as many updates as you would like too? :)

sundiver
10-09-2006, 10:40 AM
... i'd be interested to know indeed what you think needs working on in a couple days !! ... thank you for posting both !!

The shoreline needs a touchup, I think. It's smeary-looking and an awkward shape.

This is what the same spot (pretty much) looked like last night; less dramatic.
We've had perfect weather for Thanksgiving weekend.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Oct-2006/6393-sunset_mdwbnk_Oct_8_06.jpg

Debbie, that's lovely- so luminous!
Violet, your pallette is different but still completely believeable, and the reflections are wonderful.

yes, as many copies and updates as you like! The objective is to get us painting and experimenting!

scall0way
10-09-2006, 11:16 AM
Wendy, this is such a gorgeous photo too, though certainly the first is so dramatic with all the clouds. May I ask where it is? It seems to be a view easy for you to look at frequently, so I'm quite envious. :)

sundiver
10-09-2006, 12:36 PM
It's on the West River, which is a tidal inlet and salty, in Prince Edward Island. We have our cottage there.

scall0way
10-09-2006, 01:52 PM
It's on the West River, which is a tidal inlet and salty, in Prince Edward Island. We have our cottage there.

Oh thank you! I've been to PEI many times over the 30+ years I've been summering in New Brunswick, and I swear the entire island is a landscape painter's delight. Just everything is so photogenic. I've had friends ask me about scenic places to go on PEI. I'm usually tempted to reply, "it hardly matters. Just turn down any road you see. It's *all* scenic." :lol: What a lovely spot to have a cottage.

sundiver
10-09-2006, 08:27 PM
Oh thank you! I've been to PEI many times over the 30+ years I've been summering in New Brunswick, and I swear the entire island is a landscape painter's delight. Just everything is so photogenic. I've had friends ask me about scenic places to go on PEI. I'm usually tempted to reply, "it hardly matters. Just turn down any road you see. It's *all* scenic." :lol: What a lovely spot to have a cottage.
So next time you're in PEI we'll do a plein air together!

Tressa
10-10-2006, 05:13 PM
Here is my next version, even though I haven't finished the first one yet:p
This is AS pastels on midnight blue suede matboard, 11x14
I really loved this stuff:) Tres
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Oct-2006/76189-PICT0099-1.JPG

pequan
10-10-2006, 06:54 PM
ok here's my attempt........on Canson paper, (boy does that tooth fill fast) because I ran out of Wallis.....using mostly Art Spectrum soft pastels...c & c always welcomed..

Tressa
10-10-2006, 07:04 PM
pequan, it's beautiful!! And on Canson!! Your colors are wonderful!! Don't you love the AS pastels?
Tres

Tressa
10-10-2006, 07:07 PM
violet, it is a lovely piece. Love the purples, and your reflections are wonderful!!
Tres

Pat Isaac
10-10-2006, 07:07 PM
Really great, Pequan.

Pat

scall0way
10-10-2006, 07:08 PM
Here is my next version

Ooh Tres, this is so moody and atmospheric. I love it. Wonderful brooding clouds.

scall0way
10-10-2006, 07:12 PM
ok here's my attempt........on Canson paper,

Nice clouds here too. This is such a fun ref. Hey, I did mine on Canson too. Is yours that sort of pumpkiny color? That's what I used, and your pic looks like it*might* be the same, but can't always tell.

Pat Isaac
10-10-2006, 07:12 PM
This is very different from the first. night is falling with an approaching storm?

Pat

sundiver
10-10-2006, 07:30 PM
Wonderfully moody, Tres! I love suede matboard, too. It can be difficult to photograph sometimes, tho' it doesn't appear you had any trouble.

pequan, that's really lovely! That peach-colored paper works very well with the scene.

pequan
10-10-2006, 10:26 PM
Thanks for your comments Wendy, Pat, Debbie, & Tressa...
Tressa, I do love AS pastel, better than any I have tried and I think I have tried most of them. I don't know which version of yours I like best Tres, they are both really powerful........ Debbie, yes the paper is that goldy/pumpkiny color...hahaha.. it was the last sheet in the pad.....

scall0way
10-11-2006, 08:05 AM
Debbie, yes the paper is that goldy/pumpkiny color...hahaha.. it was the last sheet in the pad.....

:lol: - Those are always the last sheets in my Canson pads too! In fact I have 3-4 pads of Canson around with only that color in them. :D

Tressa
10-11-2006, 08:08 AM
Debbie, those sheets actually make a really good ground for some portraits. I've used them for that before., especially if you are doing someone with dark skin tones, as the orange makes a good foil for blue shadows.
Tres

*Violet*
10-12-2006, 02:08 AM
night is falling with an approaching storm?

Pat ... my feelings precisely on yours, tress!! ...

pequan - very lovely ... nice colour pallet ... nice and moody ...

i tweaked and tweaked mine some more ... hope i took care of all what needed ... and hope it'll be nice enough to include in my upcoming show in november ...

many thx for all the nice comments so far ... and the critiques too !! ... :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2006/46454-violet_sunset_SM_newest.jpg
(i don't think the actual piece is quite that yellow in the foreground (forewater?? lol) though ... :)

Dot Hoffman
10-12-2006, 09:55 AM
Oh my, I am SO in awe over all of these paintings! And inspired! I've printed the photo and will be starting on it tomorrow (today's too hectic) and hope mine turns out even a smidgen as nice as these.

pequan
10-13-2006, 12:50 PM
violet: it's perfect....especially the tree line in the distance...."you done good" as they in my part of the world...where and what is your show about in November--congrats on that too!!!

sundiver
10-13-2006, 02:31 PM
Just gorgeous, Violet!

cielovh
10-14-2006, 04:58 PM
Tressa, I do not know much about pastels - maybe because I don't like the mess, but I started art lessons and have to do one project in soft pastel. What do you mean by watercolour underpainting? Do you do the painting in watercolour first and then go over it in pastel?
Cecilia

binkie
10-15-2006, 01:33 AM
Wow! All the paintings are fabulous and each one unique. I just love looking at the different interpretations.

binkie

Tressa
10-15-2006, 08:49 AM
Tressa, I do not know much about pastels - maybe because I don't like the mess, but I started art lessons and have to do one project in soft pastel. What do you mean by watercolour underpainting? Do you do the painting in watercolour first and then go over it in pastel?
Cecilia

Hi, and yes, a watercolor underpainting is just that...I use wallis sanded paper, and do a watercolor first to tone the paper, then apply the pastels. This can be done with alcohol also..lay down pastel, the with an old bristle brush, apply alcohol.
Tres

binkie
10-15-2006, 07:25 PM
After looking at all the :clap: marvelous paintings thought I'd give it a try. This is a first for me. It is a WIP and have a lot to do, especially to the foreground, but thought I'd share.

l hour so far, 9x12 Canson (not fond of it but have so much have to use it up), various softies.

Thanks for looking!

binkie

Deborah Secor
10-15-2006, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pequan
Debbie, yes the paper is that goldy/pumpkiny color...hahaha.. it was the last sheet in the pad.....

- Those are always the last sheets in my Canson pads too! In fact I have 3-4 pads of Canson around with only that color in them.

Hey--that's one of my favorite landscape colors! I also like that bright orangey-red one. Maybe it's because of the New Mexico palette...

I'm really impressed with all the successful and beautiful interpretations of this photograph. You guys are good! :thumbsup:

Deborah

sundiver
10-15-2006, 08:35 PM
Great start, Binkie! I love the luminousity of the blue sky.

I also like that bright orangey-red one.
Deborah

My favorite too! It's the color of the red dirt in Prince Edward Island, and it makes the grass look soo green.

*Violet*
10-15-2006, 11:56 PM
the light is looking really good, binkie ... it's coming along nicely ...

pequan
10-16-2006, 02:31 PM
Binkie: it's coming along really well....I understand the need to use up the canson paper!! I think I have finally finished the pad!

binkie
10-17-2006, 02:00 AM
Doing the reflections is harder than I thought it would be. I'm about out of tooth and afraid it is going to start looking like it's overworked. It isn't right yet; needs more reds and burnt oranges, along with more tweaking. Have my doubts that I can get the look I'd like but here it is:

Linda, orange is my least favorite of the Canson colors too.

Thanks for looking!
binkie

willG
10-17-2006, 12:35 PM
I am one of the newbies , I have never contributed before , but I see three things I like with this project ,the cloud formation , the light, and the wonderful glow that can be achieved with soft pastel, can I have a go?

binkie
10-17-2006, 08:50 PM
Welcome!!! This is a wonderful place for you to have a go at it. The artists here are so helpful and supportive. I'm looking forward to seeing your painting.

binkie

paul444
10-18-2006, 10:05 AM
Well done everyone. Here is mine which I think I've worked to death.
8 X 6 , mixed pastels on colourfix paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2006/82968-sunset.jpg

binkie
10-18-2006, 03:38 PM
Great job, Paul! I especially like the way you did the reflections on the land in the forefront. Know what you mean about overworking it. I have so way overworked mine that I am calling it done.

binkie

scall0way
10-18-2006, 06:25 PM
Have my doubts that I can get the look I'd like but here it is:e

Lovely, the water shines like a mirror! Very cool. Very nice just as is.

*Violet*
10-18-2006, 06:45 PM
binkie and paul ... you both did very nice renditions ... both very effective ... well done !

and willg ... welcome and jump right in !! ... look forward to seeing your painting ...

michellej
10-18-2006, 08:02 PM
Hi Everyone,:wave:
Long time no speak:) I have been peking into the forum every now and then looking at the great work. Couldn't resist the sunset so here is my attempt.It's 9x10 ( I deliberately cut the paper to that size) on Fabriano using Rowney softies. I found that the sennelier was clogging the paper and i didn't want to prime so...
I also did a little one 4x5 on a piece of my wallis sample and let me say right now that i have become a disciple. Wow! what a paper!

*Violet*
10-18-2006, 11:20 PM
very nice, greta ... it glows!

binkie
10-19-2006, 02:01 AM
Super colors, Greta! Lots of atmosphere.

I know I've said it before, but this is a great thread!!!! I just love looking at all the lovely unique renditions of the same photo. It is sooooo interesting.

****KUDOS to all of you responsible for creating, initiating and hosting it each month!!****

binkie

sundiver
10-19-2006, 05:55 AM
Well done everyone. Here is mine which I think I've worked to death.

I know the feeling, Paul, being a member of the Overworker club:D , but this doesn't look overworked to me. Your pallette gives it a slightly sombre, contemplative mood which is very appealing.
Binkie, yours doesn't look overworked either, really lovely.
I love seeing all the different interpretations we do in Pastel Strokes. They all look so good and it shows that we aren't limited by a photograph and can make the image our own. Good for us! (Ok now let's see some more- I know you're out there lurking!:wave: )

Meantime I need to stop surfing and get my own finished.:o

scall0way
10-19-2006, 09:02 AM
I know I've said it before, but this is a great thread!!!! I just love looking at all the lovely unique renditions of the same photo. It is sooooo interesting.

Oh I agree. I would just love to see all the different versions side-by-side at the end of the month. What fun it is to see how so many people interpret the same image. I love it.

LJW
10-19-2006, 07:36 PM
I've been following the October challenge and these are all great sunset paintings. I wanted to try a sunset (never having done one before in any medium) but felt the image with the clouds was too complex for me. So mine is a bit of a cheat - I used Wendy's alternate photo taken of the same scene on a different day. (Hope that's OK). Oil pastels 5" x 7" on Colourfix "Terracotta" paper. Jane

binkie
10-19-2006, 10:32 PM
Jane, Your painting is lovely. Well done!

Debbie, I agree. It would be great to see all the paintings together at the end of the month!!!

binkie

sundiver
10-20-2006, 05:48 AM
Jane, that turned out beautifully and has a lot more character than the photo!

Pat Isaac
10-20-2006, 07:38 AM
Great job, Jane. It has a serenity to it. :thumbsup:

Pat

LJW
10-20-2006, 11:09 AM
Thanks Binkie, Wendy and Pat. I was amazed at just how colourful the sunsets were when I looked carefully at the photos. It was fun to use bright yellows and oranges - helps to realise how intense Oil Pastels can be! I'm really impressed with the paintings involving the clouds now that I've tried a simpler version.

My experience with this month's challenge led me to wonder if it would be possible for the hosts to post two versions of their image, a simpler one and a more complex one for people at different levels of experience. For example, thinking of the recent challenges, a photo of a single flower could be accompanied by a photo of a group of flowers, and a still life could have a single object and then a grouping of objects. I wonder if others feel the same way or not? Just a thought. Jane

sundiver
10-20-2006, 11:40 AM
We did discuss that, then decided that individuals can simplify on their own. That is another way of interpreting a photo; even if it means leaving a lot of it out, it's still a valid interpretation. That's part of the challenge- I know myself that I need more practice at simplifying a complex scene or image.

michellej
10-20-2006, 09:06 PM
Wow! Jane that is a really beautiful piece of work.I can see myself standing on the shoreline looking at the setting sun.:clap:

pequan
10-21-2006, 12:18 PM
binki, love the finished piece!!
michellej....very very nice
Paul, fantastic-soft and warm
LJW, although it isn't the same photo as most of the others--your sunset is gorgeous too....

sundiver, I agree we all need to take from each photo posted what we want, add to it or take away from it to make it our own. A good challange can't hurt (or so I have been told)

scall0way
10-22-2006, 08:01 PM
Wow Jane, I *love* your painting. What a wonderful interpretation of Wendy's second photo.It's better than the photo! How nice you attempted it. Makes we want to try the second one too. :)

LJW
10-26-2006, 12:31 PM
Thanks Michelle, Linda and Debbie for your positive comments. Debbie, I hope you will try it before the end of the month - I enjoyed painting it, and I'm sure you will find it easier than the view with the clouds. Jane

AngelaF
10-30-2006, 08:56 AM
Wow, Jane -- I'd have to search for the reference photo. Just looking at your picture, I say beautiful and well done.:clap: :clap: :clap: The colors are very, very nice.

I had hoped to try this Saturday -- put was unexpectedly prevented from having the day to myself. May get to it tomorrow -- especially if it rains.

LJW
10-30-2006, 10:13 AM
Thanks Angela. The photo is item #42 on page three of this thread. Wendy took the photo at the same location a few days later, also at sunset. Jane

Deborah Secor
10-30-2006, 01:15 PM
Well, here I am sliding in almost under the wire... I started this one at my Saturday class as a demo on color for my students. It sure has color!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2006/23609-Wendys_Sunset-_PEI.JPG
As always here, the reds are reading a bit more saturated, making the purples and red-violets even more extreme, but it's a pretty extreme painting anyway. I see I need to straighten the water line again and again and again.

Here's what it looked like at the end of my class on Saturday:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2006/23609-sunset_1.jpg
It was pretty rough looking. I had already cropped and enhanced the photo and printed it out. In class I underpainted in three large areas: a bright pink under the blue triangle of sky, a bright red-orange under the triangle of the clouds, and a darker red-violet under the water area. I worked on White Wallis paper, and after laying down the three swatches of thick pastel on my board I sprayed alcohol over the whole board, let it dry and then went to town on it!

I've really enjoyed seeing all the paintings here. You all have done a fantastic job of interpreting an inspiriing photo! Thanks so much, Wendy... :heart:

Deborah

LJW
10-31-2006, 11:29 AM
Very colourful. The sun is almost blinding, as if I'm really looking directly into it. Jane

Pat Isaac
10-31-2006, 11:47 AM
Wonderful color, Dee.

Pat

AngelaF
10-31-2006, 08:39 PM
No, Deborah, this is under the wire. There are so many wonderful interpretations of this beautiful photo.

Violet, it seems you have "violet" in your painting, it turned out very well.

I enjoyed seeing the process in your wonderful works, Wendy and Deborah.

Debbie C. you did a wonderul job. Paul, your interpretation is very unique and well done.

Here is what I did this afternoon, oil pastel on 9 by 12 umber colorfix:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2006/84584-sunset_Oct_pastel_strokes_resized.jpg

jshelby
10-31-2006, 10:22 PM
I'm new to Wetcanvas, in fact this is my first post. I've been following the beautiful pastels of the sunset and so tried one. But, when I took the photo to post, I kept getting white spots in the picture. I'm going to have to figure out a way to photograph my work. I used pearlized schminike pastels, so that might be the cause. I've never had that problem before. Any thoughts?

Pat Isaac
11-01-2006, 07:00 AM
Wonderful painting, Angela. Great color.

jshelby,did you turn off the flash? Sometimes that creates a glare.

Pat

Deborah Secor
11-10-2006, 05:12 PM
Just wanted to add a link to a revision I did on the painting I showed here. Pastel Strokes Sunset painting revised (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5113572#post5113572) I had a little fun changing PEI to a New Mexico scene!

Deborah