PDA

View Full Version : First PSNJ meeting - and cool pastel demo

scall0way
10-01-2006, 09:51 PM
Darn WC. I just finished typing a LONG post about my adventures at the PSNJ. Finally had it "just so" and hit the submit button, and the entire thing just utterly vanished, never to be seen again. :(

Anyway, today I attended my first meeting of the Pastel Society of NJ, and actually my first meeting EVER of any sort of art society. It was actually fun, and a huge turnout. Only 120 members of the Society right now, and I'd say almost half were at the meeting. Only about 3-4 men, and the rest were just about all ladies of "a certain age", so I fit right in demographically, :lol:. I didn't know a single soul, but didn't expect to. Just that you never know. We wore name tags with our names and towns, and I didn't see anyone who lived very close to me.

There was a short business meeting where they talked about the upcoming juried show. I got up to speak my piece about how it would be nice to have a bit more consideration for working people. As it stands you have to bring your work in between 10 AM and noon on Wednesday, then either hang around for hours or leave and come back, as you have to be back at 3:30 to find out if your picture made the cut, and if not, take it away. They did agree they should do something for working folks. Then one other woman actually got up and asked if there was a way to get a phone call to find out if your picture made the cut, as why drive all the way back up there, or hang around for hours if it turns out your picture will stay for the show? :lol:, they had not even thought of that, but agreed they could try to arrange something.

I pushed my luck by suggesting maybe another way to pick the juried painting for next year, such as via slides or jpegs. Several people leaped to their feet angrily to shout me down for that one, so it was not worth a fight. But I did meet one very lovely woman who volunteered to take my painting to the show on Wednesday. She agreed that they didn't do a good job for working folk, and she was taking pictures for several friends as well.

The woman who gave the show report *did* say there were disappointed that they didn't get as many entries as they had hoped. I wonder how many didn't enter because they could not afford to take a vacation day? I know I nearly didn't enter for that reason.

However, the BEST part of the whole meeting was the pastel DEMO. We had a really cool demo by NJ resident Elissa Prystauk, PSA. She started with a sheet of white Wallis paper, about 18x24, with a very loose watercolor wash that just barely gave an impression of shapes and placements, and worked for 45 minutes and had a nearly complete picture at the end. Boy, it was a treat to watch her work. She has a lovely loose style that rather reminds me of Karen's (Kmar) here at WC. It's quite impressionistic. Her trees made me less self-conscious about my own, :lol:. But her work was lovely, although it went through a bit of an "ugly" stage too, as mine always do, so that made me feel better as well. She was happy to allow photos, so here are a few pix of her wonderful demo. And she was in a lovely black suit to boot, and kept it perfectly clean throughout the whole demo! I would not last 5 minutes. :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2006/62165-100_3162-1.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2006/62165-100_3163-1.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2006/62165-100_3166-1.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2006/62165-100_3183-1.JPG

CM Neidhofer
10-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Hi Debbie,

I read an earlier message about your worries of going to the meeting. I meant to reply then, but didn't get a chance. I know how you were feeling when I jumped right into the Pastel Society of Colorado, not only going to my first meeting three weeks ago, but to an annual meeting at that!! I was anxious about it also, didn't know a soul there either. But I was welcomed warmly and felt like a part of the group in no time. Pastel Society of Colorado has two groups, the Western Slope group and the Front Range group. There are 265 members, combined, at present. I'm going to the first monthly meeting of the Front Range group on October 7 at the Denver Student Art League. I'm glad to hear your first meeting went well. Now I'm really looking forward to going to mine. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Christine

scall0way
10-01-2006, 10:36 PM
I'm going to the first monthly meeting of the Front Range group on October 7 at the Denver Student Art League. I'm glad to hear your first meeting went well.

Thanks Christine. I enjoyed reading about your meeting too. That's nice you have a monthly meeting to go to. Right now the PSNJ only schedules two meetings a year - but they did have a questionaire to fill out, and one of the questions was "would you like to have more than two meetings a year". I answered YES and hope others will too!

M Douglas
10-01-2006, 10:56 PM
Sounds like it was an interesting and productive meeting, hopefully they will consider the items you brought up and make it easier for the working person. The demo looks cool......i'm with you Debbie I wouldn't last keeping it clean for 5 minutes. Hmmmm my trees never get past the ugly stage lol. Hers look great.

Melodie

nana b
10-01-2006, 11:02 PM
Now that was an interesting demo! I didn't have any idea by the first pictures that it would look that good finished. Very interesting.

nana b

sundiver
10-01-2006, 11:19 PM
Thanks, Debbie!

Mary Brigid
10-02-2006, 06:15 AM
A great report Debbie and thanks for the photos. I hope they take up on your sugestions. And dosen't it nearly always happen that one meets a nice person to take you out of a fix. Love when this happens. Gives back ones faith in humanity :)

Karen Margulis
10-02-2006, 09:03 AM
Debbie, Thanks for your great report! I attended my first ever pastel meeting last month so I know exactly how you felt. I actually was a member for a year and never had the courage to go to a meeting! I'm really glad you got to see a good demo. I know it made all the difference in the world for me when I got to see my teacher, Marsha, demo. All of the sudden things started to click! And I am glad that you met someone to take your painting in. Good Luck and keep us posted!!! And thanks for the nice reference to me!:)

Karen