PDA

View Full Version : Pure pigment use in acyrlic paint

newzsom
10-01-2006, 01:22 AM
It is true that one pure pigment powder has been mixed into acrylic medium... it is safe, correct?

Just wondering, as I have an old panel painting that was created with the pure pigment powder and wish to seal up the surface and continue regular painting.

Thx

Einion
10-03-2006, 02:21 AM
It is true that one pure pigment powder has been mixed into acrylic medium... it is safe, correct?
Hi, I'm not sure what you're asking here. Do you mean should you do this or can you do this? Yes you can definitely do this and you can even make your own paint from just pigment and acrylic binder.

However, to make workable paint you generally have to include a few other ingredients to modify some of the characteristics; commercial acrylic paints may have a dozen ingredients for example.

Just wondering, as I have an old panel painting that was created with the pure pigment powder and wish to seal up the surface and continue regular painting.
When you say it was created with 'pure pigment powder' how exactly was it done?

Einion

cuttlefish
10-03-2006, 06:57 AM
Do you mean that dry pigment has been applied in some manner to a support without any binder at all? A tap or a strong wind could remove much of that pigment. You could apply clear acrylic medium in many different ways to fix this dry pigment to the surface, but it sounds like a dry pastel fixative spray would be more apropriate. Even that will alter the reflective properties of the pigment, resulting in apparrent darkening.

To mix dry pigment with acrylic, such as when making your own custom paint, you need to first incorporate a surfacant into your pigment. Most acrylic paint manufacturers sell a "flow release" agent that will serve this purpose. You can go without it, but it makes it a lot easier.

Brian Firth
10-03-2006, 11:58 AM
Golden Acrylics has a very informative article on their website that should answer most of your questions:

http://www.goldenpaints.com/justpaint/jp7article1.php

dreamz
10-03-2006, 04:05 PM
I think the originalk poster is questioning the type of material used I.E. lead or cadium. Both of which are deemed to be safe when mixed in a binding medium I believe

newzsom
10-06-2006, 03:58 PM
Everyone is right :-)

I am just figuring out ways in which to use pure powder pigment .... trying to keep it's luster..... and keeping it safe (mixed in acrylic medium).

Once in a medium... it does darken and loose it's bright "powder-form" sheen.

I was hoping for a safe way around this.

(And, isnt a lot of this pigment dangerous if on the skin?)

cuttlefish
10-08-2006, 08:40 PM
Yes, many pigments, even those that can otherwise be handled safely in a medium, can be hazardous on their own, whether by skin contact, inhallation, or ingestion. Even something as innocent as carbon black can cause trouble in sufficient quantity (not to mention making an awful mess).