PDA

View Full Version : How to mount velour onto a backing board

oriole
09-29-2006, 06:38 AM
Hello.
I am planning on experimenting with framing some of my work. I was wondering what to use to mount velour onto a backing. What backing is best-foamcore or gatorboard? Should I mount it before I complete the painting or after? I have read through all the threads on framing. I don't quite understand "hinging". Does someone have a picture of that (if that is what I need to do).
Thanks for your help!
Lynne

johndill01
10-01-2006, 08:26 PM
Lynne, I am going to give you a partial answer to your questions. Just one opinion. I have found that velour or suede paper holds pastels much better if mounted to a support. I have not had the opportunity to use gatorboard, as it is not available in my area, so I use foamcore. Preferably mount the paper prior to painting. I use 3M brand spray adhesive (nuetral pH) for mounting the paper to board. Spray the board with a uniform film of the adhesive(best if performed outside), then carefully press the board onto the back of the paper, which should be placed face down on a solid surface.

Hope that this helps some.

John

Bringer
10-01-2006, 09:24 PM
Hi,

Ok, here's how it goes.
Usually original art should not be mounted to a surface using adhesives - well maybe if they're archival and removable.
The surface to which the work is attached to should be archival or at least acid free. This will depend of course of the work's value among other things.
Hinging means that you'll use these strips of an archival paper, which can be (if I'm not mistaken) mullberry or rice paper, and will use wheat starch as glue. The paper should only be attached on top, the matting will do the rest to hold the paper.
It goes without saying that few people use starch and they prefer acid free glues/tapes.
Frametek sells starch. But you can also make your own.
Going archival can be expensive, but worth it if work deserves it.
It's like using museum glass. It's quite expensive, but there are works that sure deserve it.

Best regards,

Josť

K Taylor-Green
10-01-2006, 10:44 PM
Ok, you are going to get a lot of different answers here, and you will have to decide what to take and what to leave out.
I staple my velour to foamcore while I paint the painting. I have several sizes of foamcore that I reuse over and over again.
When the time comes to frame it, I cut a clean piece of foamcore the exact size of the mat I am going to use. I lay the foam core and the mat "head to head" , top edges touching, on a table, using strips of archival linen tape to tape them together. The tape strips will form hinges, allowing the mat to swing down onto the foamcore. The painting will be centered under the mat. I use more archival tape to form little pockets on each corner of the painting.
The painting will be taped onto the foamcore and the mat will be hinged to the foamcore at the upper edge. Hope this makes sense!

oriole
10-03-2006, 06:38 AM
Thanks a lot for the information! I don't know about that hinging-maybe it will all make sense to me once I actually start doing it.:rolleyes:
Lynne