PDA

View Full Version : acrylics & silk

norm60
09-29-2006, 03:15 AM
Went painting En Plein Air today using acrylics. My board is plywood 1/8th. with gesso primed 2 layers and mid grey toned. I noticed the surface wasn't quite what I needed and found it to be too ruff for some details. I've heard you can apply silk to the surface to smooth things out. I plan on doing this site again and would like to try a silk surfaced board. Does anyone have experience setting a board up like that? I'll post this painting when it's complete.
Norm60 in Southern Oregon's wine country

Einion
09-29-2006, 09:21 AM
Hi, you can certainly paint on silk with acrylics but I'm not sure about their compatibility in the long term. You could also face the board with practically any fabric, from light cotton to canvas weights, plus of course linen, and synthetics like polyester are also an option.

I presume the problem is that the surface texture of the plywood is showing through the two layers of 'gesso'? The easiest solution is to sand it flat before you start priming but that can take a lot of elbow grease if you don't have a power sander of some kind.

Einion

norm60
10-01-2006, 12:09 AM
Hi Einion,
Thanks for the quick reply, That actual issue with silk is that it gives a "watercolor" appearance much like paper. The edges soften just slightly and really looks nice. I'll be pinting on a small panel prepared for me tomorrow. I'll post the results after that. Thanks for the input.
norm60