PDA

View Full Version : Rumor?

LorelieKitty
09-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Has anyone ever heard that you can use a baby wipe to clean up wet paint?

whizzysha
09-28-2006, 06:34 PM
I do it all the time! Its the nearest thing to hand when my 3 year old tries to help me!!!!!
one of the reasons I use oil pastels a lot !!

LorelieKitty
09-28-2006, 06:48 PM
A good friend of mine told me about after we painted our living room. My 2 yo thought he would help and he dropped the roller. I wish I knew about it then!!

gurleygirl
09-28-2006, 09:03 PM
I use them a lot!!
Tracey

fala
09-28-2006, 11:32 PM
A paper towel will wipe up wet acrylic paint. Would you use baby wipes more for oil, I wonder? I know that I wouldn't wipe off the canvas or painting surface with one because some of them have lotions and lanolln that would keep the subsequent paint from adhering.

KatieB
09-29-2006, 12:11 AM
A paper towel will wipe up wet acrylic paint. Would you use baby wipes more for oil, I wonder? I know that I wouldn't wipe off the canvas or painting surface with one because some of them have lotions and lanolln that would keep the subsequent paint from adhering.

I've used them to clean up oil paint (not on the canvas though, just the palette and brush handles and whatnot -- works like a charm :D.

tubbekans
09-29-2006, 12:12 AM
No for wiping up. Yuck. But I have heard about heating them up to make bubbly textured surfaces for art. Best done with fresh new ones of course. The plastic kind. I've read you can heat them with a torch and make lovely bubbly surfaces to add to your mixed media pieces. Strange fun only an artist could love. :)

DorothyC
09-29-2006, 03:57 AM
They work well but I am careful when using them near acrylics in case there is oil in some of the brands.
I use them all the time with painting on porcelain. The paint is mixed with oil bases and has a lot of lead and other minerals in it so you want to clean up with the minimum of fuss. Best ever for cleaning the porcelain pallette.

Bobbo
09-29-2006, 08:24 AM
yes they are perfect to clean oil paints of your hands
oops used the word oil!!!!

ab39z
09-29-2006, 12:23 PM
I'm not sure I'd use them on a painting, but baby wipes can be used to clean up lots of things. My kids are 10 and 13, but we still keep a supply in the house at all times. They're great for sticky spills on hardwood floors (soft drinks, juice, milk). Once you soak up the majority of the actual liquid (usually witha paper towel), just wipe over the area of the spill with the wet wipe and it's as good as mopping. I even use them routinely to clean tennis shoes.

dolittle
09-29-2006, 08:18 PM
Well, you learn something new everyday! thanks for the hints.

Charlie's Mum
10-14-2006, 11:53 AM
They're great for the hands - cos I have a tendency to get the paint all over me! :lol:

Lady Carol
10-14-2006, 05:49 PM
I wipe my cat's butt with them when he gets dingle-berries. Does that count? :lol:

gurleygirl
10-14-2006, 10:10 PM
Carol-you are too funny!!
Tracey

LorelieKitty
10-25-2006, 04:21 PM
lady carol, eww! lmfao that's all i'm gonna say. I wasn't expecting an answer like that, but I guess if my cats ever have that kind of problem, or my dog, I guess I know what I can use(lmfao again). I wasn't aware of the fact that u could use them on the canvas. I probly wouldn't because i'm afraid that they would wipe off what i wanted to keep on it. I also wasn't aware that some wipes had oils in it. I know some have aloe, could that be considered as an oil?

Lady Carol
10-25-2006, 04:34 PM
I agree with you it is eeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!

LorelieKitty
10-25-2006, 08:21 PM
rotflmao then y do it? aside the fact it has to be done? they were gettin them off long before wipes were invented LOL
oh i have such a bad mental image right now!!! lmfao my stomach hurts from laughin so hard!!!
lmfao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!