PDA

View Full Version : Help on doing limes and lemons

lollytt
09-28-2006, 11:02 AM
Hi all,

I am trying to paint some fruits. What I would like to find out is how to get the little indentations you see on limes and lemons. When you look at a lime or lemon you would notice that the skin is not smooth. How do I get those tiny indentations on my painting. I am new to painting and would need all the help I can get.

Laura

tubbekans
09-28-2006, 12:47 PM
This is why I don't paint lemons. :) Maybe try experimenting with a natural sea sponge, just tapping lightly with a the dark color to make the pattern and them glaze over it with a lemony color. Probably need a sponge with raggedy edges. If it doesn't work, you can always squeeze it and make lemonade. I heard that somewhere. :D

Lady Carol
09-28-2006, 07:40 PM
The indentations are shadows and should be painted as such. If you are painting something that is very visually close to the lemon then paint in the indents, if the lemons are part of a bigger picture then it wouldn't be necessary to paint them in. The colour and shape will be enough to indicate that they are lemons.

idylbrush
09-28-2006, 09:48 PM
try a bit of drybrushing.

chammi kaiser
09-29-2006, 04:50 AM
As long as you get the shapes right and some good brushstrokes , it should not be necessary to paint in the little indentations. Unless of course you are going for very realistic stuff then the sponge idea would be a good idea. Chammi.

lollytt
09-29-2006, 12:30 PM
Thanks all, I will post what I have done.

Laura

lollytt
09-29-2006, 01:19 PM
Here is what I have done, please tell me how to improve it, as I am new to painting.

Laura336103

lollytt
09-29-2006, 01:25 PM
Here is the painting with better quality.

Laura336104

Lady Carol
09-29-2006, 06:05 PM
The apple in front looks great. I think this would have benefited from underpainting to get the roundness of the fruit and then glaze with the end colour on top. But having said that, that doesn't help you for where you are at presently. The lemon could do with some brighter yellow as at the moment it really isn't reading like a lemon. Glaze a brighter colour on top. The lime and the other apple are looking a little flat still so more shading would help here.

Interesting painting. You will do well with a few more layers :D

lollytt
10-02-2006, 12:27 AM
What exactly is glazing? I am only now learning to paint and I am basically just trying to teach myself.

Laura

gnu
10-02-2006, 02:30 AM
you have a natural eye for colour I'd say, esp with that lemon.. good for you, going well so far, and good advice as well