PDA

View Full Version : Angel WIP

leamacd
09-27-2006, 09:06 PM
Here is a picture of an angel I'm working on for my sister's 50th birthday. I still need to tweek the underpainting which was done in yellow ochre(thanks to some advise I got here:thumbsup: )- but thought I'd show you what I have so far. 11X14 Canvas board. Not sure how to handle the wings as the photo has a lot of detail which might be hard to represent. The right eye also needs some work. Thanks for looking and critiques and comments are always welcome:wave:

Lea
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2006/74668-scan2_001.jpg

Lulu
09-28-2006, 04:35 AM
this is going to be lovely - great start. I have just finished a cherub in acrylics/oils and I wish I had done a y/o underpainting, would have made it easier to complete.
I would just suggest detail in the wings.

3chaway9
09-28-2006, 05:56 AM
Great beginning...love the 'hair'....:thumbsup:

valchina612
09-28-2006, 10:57 AM
This is looking really great so far. I don't think it needs a lot more, and the hair is super. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

leamacd
09-28-2006, 01:57 PM
Thanks Carrie and Val for your kind words. Lulu thanks for your advice on the wings - I'm going to attempt that today. :eek: I would love to see the cherub that you painted.

I'm a little lost as to the next step. I've followed along other WIPs but still a little confused as to what goes on top of an underpainting. I've seen where say a red or green is layed over top of a fruit or vegetable but with a subject like this would I use several colours over top? Do you think the overpainting should be white? Any advice would be appreciated. I will include the picture I am working from. Thanks!!:)

Lea
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Sep-2006/74668-262518_garden_angel.jpg

dreamz
09-28-2006, 02:04 PM
I like the way the light shines through the wings, personally I don't think it needs any more color layers.

Lulu
09-28-2006, 04:53 PM
Hi Lea, here is a wee pic of the one I did. Gave it to my grandson's Godmother. I did the undercolour with acrylics, then switched to water mixable oils. I used warm flesh tones, (cad red light, a yellow (can't remember the name) titanium white, and diox purple mixed with the flesh tones for shadow). I'll be interested to see how you do this (you'll get good advice here), I was rather feeling my way in the dark with mine. Did it first in watercolour and it was so much easier to let the water and white paper do the work!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Sep-2006/1118-LeesCherubSept10aaa.jpg

leamacd
09-28-2006, 11:14 PM
Hi Lulu - Your painting is just adorable, the shading and colours are fantastic. Thanks for sharing I really appreciate it. I have read about water soluble oils but I've never tried them. Is there much difference from the traditional oils besides the obvious (no smell)?:confused:

I also had a look at your website and your paintings are fantastic. I love your style. I'm hoping with time and lots of practice I can become that good. I've been focusing on my drawing lately and went to my first life drawing class today. I think that will really help me. How long have you been painting?

Thanks again for your help:) :)
Lea

Lulu
09-29-2006, 12:04 AM
Hi Lea, thanks for your comments on my work. I have never used ordinary oils, I am sensitive to the fumes so didn't go there.
I used the w/m oils with my cherub because I wanted a longer blending time, and I must say I rather liked working with them.

Life drawing is fantastic, I am starting another class in 2 weeks too. It really hones one's skills at figures.
The tutor at a workshop I went to last year recommended that we draw from life for 5 mins a day. I find that great advice, don't always keep to it though! but a spare 5 mins is easy to find. I often quickly sketch the gesture of people when I'm out and about (and can't easily be observed).

I have been painting about 8 yrs now, and my 'style' sure has changed in that time.

Enjoy what you are doing with your angel here, it is going to be lovely. You've made a great start.
There are people on this forum who have worked this way with grisaille (underpainting) and I'm sure they will pop in here to help you.

Nitsa
09-29-2006, 04:25 AM
Lea I think you have a wonderful start to your cherub I just think the values need tweaking a little to give it depth and dimension.
If you take your painting so far into a tonal/monochrome you will see they are all much the same:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2006/18769-74668-scan2_001.jpg
So you just need to bump up the contrasts.

If you're looking to make him similar colours to the photograph I would go in with white glazes and bump up the light direction, that is the areas where the light falls.
Please excuse my terrible manipulation, I don't have fancy software, but these are the areas I would enhance with white glazes:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2006/18769-cherubwc.JPG
I would then do the same with the darker values, just bumping them up slightly.
I too have painted a cherub similar to this. Mine was monochrome and in watercolour but I'll post it here as seeing the value ranges may help.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2006/18769-CherubWIP6.JPG

Keep going and don't be scared, you're doing just great! :thumbsup:

Thanx for the heads up on this thread Lulu, your painting is beautiful!

chammi kaiser
09-29-2006, 04:42 AM
Looking wonderful. Keep going. Chammi.

leamacd
09-29-2006, 01:55 PM
Thanks Chammi and Lulu for your encouragement.:)

Thanks very much Nitsa. Your demo is just what I needed. I never thought to change my own painting into greyscale to check the values - great idea!! I love the cherub that you did - It will help me figure out how to do the detail on the wings - which I've been avoiding.

Do I understand that you would only do white glazing on the highlights and leave the overall colour the same? Do I have that correct?

I need to get going on this painting because I need to get it in the mail by Tuesday!!:eek:

Lea

leamacd
09-29-2006, 01:59 PM
Sorry, one more question - for the shadows and darker values should I be using a cool colour and just stick with the same ochre?:confused: :wave:

bionicanaconda
09-29-2006, 05:08 PM
Hi leamacd, I reackon that your cherubic picture is about ready to be taken to the next stage as you have the basis right now. Am looking forward to seeing the next phase.

leamacd
09-29-2006, 07:27 PM
Well, this is where I'm at with my angel. I have bumped up the lights as per Nitsa's suggestion and have just started on the shadows. I wasn't sure what colour to use for this - but I mixed a little dioxazine purple into a yellow ochre glaze and I think this looks okay. What do you think? Does the colour work? I have just started the inner wing area and the shadow under his knee. Then I'll have to work on the background. Thanks for everyone's help!!

C&C's welcome
Leahttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2006/74668-angel3.jpg

fala
09-29-2006, 10:51 PM
I love the warm ochre. This is a great painting.
That was wonderfully helpful of Nitsa and very interesting.

Lulu
09-29-2006, 10:53 PM
it's really taking shape now Lea, the colours are great. Keep checking your work in monochrome so you can see where you need to place darks. The lights are looking good, you can always add more light in those areas if you need to towards the finish.

Nitsa
09-30-2006, 04:40 AM
Lea the shadow colour is just perfect for this little cutie, those highlights have made him come alive and the shadows work you have started have began to make him pop out of the surface. :thumbsup:

rmc
09-30-2006, 11:03 PM
Lea, I have really enjoyed seeing your progress on this - you have done a wonderful painting of the cherub - the wings are cocming along great.

leamacd
10-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Fala, Nitsa, Rmc - thanks so much for your encouragement. I'm almost finished the shadows and will post soon. I've been using the monochrome tip and it has really helped to see the different values. I'm really happy with the way this has turned out - it will be a little hard to part with as it is a birthday present.