PDA

View Full Version : Help - pink tulips and irises

rmc
09-26-2006, 08:28 AM
I've been stumped yet again on the background with this painting - it looks all a bit lost with the light one and before I progress any further with the flowers and leaves I want to change it - I am thinking dark but I am really unsure - have photoshopped different looks- looked at other's paintings and am stuck - any suggestions???
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Sep-2006/83066-tulip2.jpg

fala
09-26-2006, 10:21 AM
Lovely Flowers!! It seems like a deep dark background would really make them stand out. Were you able to see how that would look in your photoshop?

TxAggieDarlin
09-26-2006, 01:42 PM
I agree deep dark green would be pretty or almost black

gurleygirl
09-26-2006, 01:47 PM
I think it is really beautiful!!
Tracey

3chaway9
09-26-2006, 04:06 PM
Nice painting Ruth...i vote for dark background....:thumbsup:

amaze_1101
09-26-2006, 04:48 PM
Hey there Ruth:wave:
Well you know me Ruth, I always go for darker b/grounds to make the flower colours pop. Question: do you work on the flowrs first or the b/ground?
After blocking in all the main colours to eliminate the white of the canvas, I'll always paint and finish the b/g first and get that just how I want it. I like it to be dark but there is usually a lighter area somewhere to suggest light direction. It needs to be decided right at the start of the working process.

There really isn't much wrong with your painting. What might be the problem is the range of values missing in the middle between the darkest and lightest areas. The b/ground goes from dark to light too sharply. To fix this I'd carry on with the darker range moving into the light getting lighter as you reach the top left corner with the overall finish of the b/ground being green and not yellowish in that top corner. Just my thoughts and not necessarily what you should do. The flowers look great and with a darker b/g they will be singing, especially where you have those little highlights on their tips.:thumbsup:

PS I booked my flights for Nov. Looking forward to meeting you!:clap:

rmc
09-26-2006, 05:34 PM
Thanks for all you helpful thoughts, Elaine, Carrie, Aggie, Tracey and Fala - I've been applying gradual washes to try to get the look reading right. I get a headache trying to work out what I want - started going for a light background as per ref as it seemed perfect, I got a maunsell colour wheel up on my screen and thought carefully about background then got on with the painting it, but once colour on flowers it seemed all wimpish as above ----still not happy ---think I will go darker still
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Sep-2006/83066-tulips3.jpg
Elaine, I'm really looking forward to seeing you in Wgtn - what a treat to be amongst the real artists - Murray has booked his leave - we're driving down and making a week of it.

amaze_1101
09-26-2006, 07:48 PM
This is looking much better and I like the bluer look as well. The light area is really good now and the gradual value change towards the centre is working well. If you are going to go darker then perhaps just do that from the centre towards the right/H/side, leaving the left/H/side as is.

A couple of highlights down the leaves on the far right will make them pop against the darker b/ground too.

Your hubby is coming to Wgtn too, that's kewl! I'm there for the week also. Sat to Sat. My hubby is coming up for the weekend at the beginning going back monday night before we start. Happy painting.:wave:

Lady Carol
09-26-2006, 08:39 PM
I unfortunately think that the blue is not quite right and it clashes a little with the other blue and the purple. Sorry.

The rest is lovely and the flowers are looking very delicate.

rmc
09-26-2006, 11:05 PM
Thanks Carol - I find getting the look right with a made up background really hard - painting tha objects is easy by comparisom. Ummm. wonder if this is any better

rmc
09-26-2006, 11:08 PM
Image didn't post - I did this before reading your post Elaine - (been playing backyard cricket - we have a series going on......) and darkened the background + painted the leaves during lunchbreak. I took this picture outside under a tree shade - the others were inside with a flash / night lighting. Thanks for your advice - you are a star. Hope I've not overdone it, but it seemed to sit best like so....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Sep-2006/83066-tulip4.jpg
PS - Fabulous re Nov - we were going to be doing our house up for sale while in Wgtn, but my brother in law who is renting it is thinking about buying it - how fantastic that would be......

amaze_1101
09-26-2006, 11:23 PM
This looks great now with a better range between light and dark values. I love the way the two left tulips are "reaching for the sun". Nice finish!!!

rmc
09-27-2006, 12:08 AM
Gosh, you were hot on my heels Elaine - you are such a top woman, I was going to add that the white highlight at the top is from sunlight rather then the painting and the colours are not accurate, but what the heck - time to move on to something new - this next one is very, very cute......

LisaArt
09-27-2006, 04:21 AM
Hi Ruth, Well, this turned out super! I liked both the background!
I also like how the tulips are reaching for the sun...Beautiful finish! :)

Kerch
09-27-2006, 11:55 PM
I really like your colour harmony and highlights. Very nice painting.

rmc
09-28-2006, 05:26 AM
Thanks, Lisa and Brian - glad you like the colours

valchina612
09-28-2006, 05:55 AM
Ruth, this is a great painting, and I really love the colours you've used. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave: