PDA

View Full Version : help my pastel broke!

Airbugg
09-26-2006, 04:54 AM
Hi I'm new to the forum. I just bought my first set of sennelier half sticks and I just dropped one! It shattered on the floor. Help! How do I fix it! :crying:

*Marina*
09-26-2006, 06:32 AM
Just try to make a powder of it. I usually do it in a little glass bowl with the back of a spoon. Once it is a powder without lumps, add a few drops of alcohol or demineralised water. Make a paste of it and form it into shape. Let it dry and you have got a perfectly usuable pastel again. Good luck.

Kathryn Wilson
09-26-2006, 10:15 AM
I've dropped a few of my pastels and I just the shards for little places that need a good sharp edge and the rest of it goes into the "make a new pastel" jar - just as Marina describes.

Bringer
09-26-2006, 03:38 PM
Hi,

I have the 80 halfs of Sennelier and I like them alot.
I have dropped them sometimes, but never had one shattered.
One it's not too much broken, it can even be good for making details.
If you make a new stick, like said before, save a bit or two for small details.

Kind regards,

Josť

Airbugg
09-26-2006, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the great suggestions. I ground it up and used the demineralized water to mould it into a new stick. How long should I let it dry? And will it work as well as it did before?:o

*Marina*
09-26-2006, 04:26 PM
I don't know exactly how long it takes. I would leave it to dry for a few days. The new pastel will work just as well as it did before.

artist_pw
09-26-2006, 06:36 PM
Hi:

When it appears to be dry after about 2 to 3 days, pick it up. If it feels a little cool, it is probably still a little wet, so let it dry a little longer. When it doesn't feel cooler any more, it is probably dry. (Based on ceramic clay drying - something isn't dry enough to fire when it still feels cool.) Hope this helps.

Airbugg
09-26-2006, 07:39 PM
Wow! I didn't realize it takes so long to dry. Guess I'll have to be patient. I used water this time but is there a downside to using alcohol? Just wondering in case this happens again. Thanks.;)

Bringer
09-26-2006, 09:50 PM
Hi,

Alchool will evaporate sooner. Don't know if there are any inconvenients.
Usually pastels are made with tragacanth (sp?), if I'm not mistaken. Or is it arabic ?

Kind regards,

Josť