PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Sketch Thread Sept. 25 - Oct. 1

Paula Ford
09-25-2006, 06:33 AM
Hello Artists!! :wave:

Now that the weather is changing, it's a great opportunity to get our sketchbooks out!

The Weekly Pastel Sketch thread is for ALL pastelists, whether you are using soft or hard pastels, oil pastels, or pastel pencils. This thread is for ALL skill levels.

The idea is to fit some sketching time into your week by completing a sketch in one hour or less. You can sketch anything, whether it be from life or photos.

You can sketch for 5 minutes, or up to an hour, itís up to you. It's a good idea to time your sketch, keeping it within 60 minutes. You know how time flies when youíre creating! So, get your pastels out, set a timer, and when your time is up, please post your sketches here and share your efforts with us!!

Please visit the Image Library to see hundreds of great photos! http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/

Please visit last week's thread... http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371784

Have lots of fun!

scall0way
09-28-2006, 10:39 AM
Wow, not much posting here is there! Well I have a couple 10-20 minute sketches from art class last night, so maybe tonight I could take a photo of them and post here. In the meantime, since I hate to see this thread so lonely, I'll post my painting from class last night. This is the "long pose" that we will use for the next three weeks in class. But because we started class with lots of quick 5-20 minute poses it was not until 8:20 we got to the long pose, and since class ends at 9:30, and the model had a couple breaks during that time, this is actually about 50-55 minutes worth of pasteling, so I guess I can show it here even though it's over in the SPS too. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Sep-2006/62165-The_seated_dancer.jpg

Paula Ford
09-28-2006, 01:13 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Hi Debbie!

I've been so lonely just sitting in here waiting for someone to join me. I did my nails and my toe nails and took lots of naps :D

Your sketch is WONDERFUL!! You are just growing leaps and bounds!

Paula

binkie
09-28-2006, 11:12 PM
Love your sketch, Debbie! And only 20 min!

We were given 7 minutes to do a thumb nail in my portrait class. I didn't get past the charcoal skelton, let alone put color on it and it was very small.

binkie

M Douglas
09-29-2006, 02:22 AM
You are getting so good with your with your life sketches Debbie you deserve some :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well I was hoping to join you here but I started fiddling around and my quick loose sketch of a sunflower turned out to be about 3 hours lol.....its so hard to teach a control freak to let loose :D

Melodie

scall0way
09-29-2006, 03:47 PM
Love your sketch, Debbie! And only 20 min!

Gosh, not 20 minutes! :lol: More like 50-55. I'll show a 20 minute sketch I did at the beginning of class if I remember to take a photo. :)

Karen Margulis
09-29-2006, 04:28 PM
Hi All!
Debbie,
you know I love your class work! I so admire you for doing that. You are learning so much!
Melodie, do another sunflower but time yourself and make yourself stop! I am going to try the one posted on this weeks WDE.
Today I felt like doing something colorful so I did a red hibiscus. It's just 6x6 on LaCarte...love that paper for flowers. It took just about an hour not counting interruptions!
Karen
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2006/53551-siamese_009.jpg

scall0way
09-29-2006, 05:13 PM
Wow, gorgeous hibiscus Karen. I love it! Beautiful reds.

M Douglas
09-29-2006, 06:41 PM
I"m with Debbie "WOW" fantastic, great color, and I love how you have kept it loose, thats exactly the look I was striving for!

Melodie

Paula Ford
09-30-2006, 07:26 AM
Karen,

What a beautiful flower! I just love those colors. What kind of pastels did you use?

Paula

Karen Margulis
09-30-2006, 10:39 AM
Hi Debbie, Melodie and Paula. Thanks! I think it's easier to stay loose when you are working fast.
Paula, I blocked the flower in with nupastels and polychromos. Then I went to my softer pastels which are a mix of Terry Ludwigs, Mt Visions, a sennelier dark green I love and Schminke yellows.
I'm goind to try to get to the sunflower today.
Karen

binkie
09-30-2006, 09:26 PM
Karen, your hibiscus is gorgeous!

The hibiscuses are in bloom all over town here. Took my camera to the store with me and photographed several of the different colored flowers around the parking lot.

binkie

JamieWG
09-30-2006, 10:18 PM
Debbie, nice job on a difficult live subject! I miss life drawing sooooo much....really look forward to getting back to it during the winter months. I think it's the best thing folks can do for their drawing skills.

Karen, that hibiscus is gorgeous. The center pops right out of the paper!

Jamie