PDA

View Full Version : New to Acrylics

bobcat79
09-24-2006, 03:09 PM
I have just begun learning how to use acrylics. I'm not new to WC, or art in general, but am completely new to painting. All of my experience has been in Colored Pencil and a limited amount of pastels. Oh boy, I have so many questions that maybe some of you can point me in the right direction with. One immediate thing I am struggling with is in backgrounds, blending the colors together so that it is hard to tell where one color stops and the next starts. This would be in landscapes doing skies. Another question, is it possible to do wet on wet with acrylics like in oils? Does it work well? What is glazing?

I'm sure I'll think of a ton more. :wave:

3chaway9
09-24-2006, 03:33 PM
Hi Greg :wave: ...welcome....you will get plenty of info. in (The Information Kiosk)...at the top of the first page...you can use a retarder to keep the paint wet longer for blending or the dry brush method...have a look in the Kiosk...come back if you still have problems :)

bobcat79
09-24-2006, 04:37 PM
Oh gee. How did I miss that? :o Thank you pointing me in the right direction.
Hi Greg :wave: ...welcome....you will get plenty of info. in (The Information Kiosk)...at the top of the first page...you can use a retarder to keep the paint wet longer for blending or the dry brush method...have a look in the Kiosk...come back if you still have problems :)

dreamz
09-24-2006, 10:26 PM
I have fairly good results by covering the canvas with glazing meduim and then applying colors working them together and blending as they start to dry I take a large dry brush and rapidly cover the area with x's, blending and softening even more.

You can work wet on wet if you are quick or use an extender medium that allows the paint to stay wet longer.

glazing can refer to either a medium which thins the paint down and extends its wet time or when painting it means using the thinned paint in many layers.

bobcat79
09-24-2006, 11:45 PM
Thanks Dreamz. Some good information that I know I can use on this seascape that I am working on. I am guessing that you use just a little bit of water to thin the paint for glazing? Gosh I hope that wasn't a dumb question. :rolleyes: I feel pretty versed in Colored Pencil art, but I'm such a novice with Acrylics.

dreamz
09-25-2006, 12:33 AM
You can use water and some artists only use water, I use a combo of water and glazing medium, some will only use the various mediums. I use a fairly inexpensive type glazing from Golden, it flows nicely and helps extend drying time. Michaels used to carry it but doesnt anymore so I get it at a local art supplie

bobcat79
09-25-2006, 07:53 AM
I'll have to go to the art supply store in Tulsa and see if I can find some glazing.

Does anyone have a technique for puffy clouds? Seems like I saw one that was really simple on an art show some time back.... danged if I can remember what it was.

studemobile
09-25-2006, 12:14 PM
How I do skies in acrylic:
1 I paint the field in a middle blue (white/Ultramarine blue)
2 After this field is dry I mix a darker blue with glazing medium and apply from the top down - producing a gradient. I may also apply additional glazes (a little magenta maybe) after each prior glaze is dry.
3 Blue with white and glazing medium can be applied from the bottom up.
The overall effect produces a light to dark sky. Experiment with this technique for clouds also.
Glazing can also be used to lighten oranges and reds that might look fleshy if white were added. Try glazing these colors on a white field rather than mixing white...

greyart
09-25-2006, 01:19 PM
I haven't been doing acrylics very long but in my experientation doing a sky I found that misting water from a spray bottle onto the surface helped in blending.

dreamz
09-25-2006, 05:39 PM
I use a 2 handed technique, dab on the color with a natural sponge or stiff brush then using a dry soft brush use a light touch to swirl and "puff" the clouds

bobcat79
09-25-2006, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to use a blank sheet or two and practice different blending ideas and see what works best for me.I haven't been doing acrylics very long but in my experientation doing a sky I found that misting water from a spray bottle onto the surface helped in blending.

bobcat79
09-25-2006, 06:12 PM
Sounds like a good way to do them. Is that how you did the clouds in your Night in the Swamp painting? I enjoyed your website.
I use a 2 handed technique, dab on the color with a natural sponge or stiff brush then using a dry soft brush use a light touch to swirl and "puff" the clouds