PDA

View Full Version : Backgrounds Xposted as dinnertime in critique

ann.bun
09-24-2006, 08:06 AM
I havent posted for ages, just lurked. I decided that its about time I started again.
I cross posted this image in Critiques and got some good feedback. I am not happy with the background, and wondered if any of our talentd pastellists here could give any helpful guidelines. One of my problems is how to join the background to the main subject in a believable way. I always seem to get either a sort of halo or strokes following the outline of the subject. I like the way people like Mike Beeman and Harley get a sort of splodgy painterly effect in their backgrounds. (perhaps splodgy is not a flattering description, but I'm sure you know what I mean.)
I hope this post is in the correct place.

Artistammy
09-24-2006, 12:36 PM
Ooh, I love the birds. I like your background. Do you start it before the birds? I like to start my background first. It helps keep the halo effect away to be able to erase the part inside the objects & paint over the edge of the background. I get a bit of blodgy effect by putting in spots of color from the focal point & other colors I want, then blending them some. I hope you get some other answers.
Tammy

ann.bun
09-25-2006, 07:29 AM
Tammy thanks for your reply. I'm not really happy with the background, but I'm not sure where to go from here. Next time I must say to myself 'start the background', at the same time at least , as I do the main subject.
Ann