PDA

View Full Version : Which Instructional Video Would You Buy if You Could Buy Only ONE?

binkie
09-23-2006, 05:35 PM
I want to buy a pastel instructional video but I'm not sure which one. I don't want a beginner's video. I'm taking a portrait painting class. But would also enjoy a seascape or landscape. At this time I'm not interested in still lives. I like realism with a little flair. I am just stymied as to which one to buy.

I don't want to focus on any one area (i.e. still life, landscape, portrait).

If you could buy only one video which one would it be?

Hope I make sense. I'm not sure I've explained it very well.

Thanks!
binkie

Paula Ford
09-23-2006, 06:15 PM
Hi Binkie, I've never watched one either so I'm interested to hear what others have to say about this. (Just asked my husband for the Bob Rohm series on water for my birthday.)

Paula

Shari
09-23-2006, 07:11 PM
At one time or another I have had them all and gotten rid of most of them. But you have to choose whose style you like a lot to help with your decision. Personally, I love Bob Rohm's videos just about the best, but I also have a Doug Dawson plein air pastel video that I like alot. Richard McKinley is coming out with a double video set soon and I would bet that will become my favorite of them all. He is so amazing, check out his website (www.richardmckinley.com). Those videos are being edited right now and should be available quite soon. If Elizabeth Mowry had one I would get it right away. In fact, I wrote her a letter asking her if she is considering making a DVD and I have not yet heard back from her. At this point though, I vote for Bob Rohm for what is already available. I also have Albert Handel's video but it's a little hard for me to fathom.

PeggyB
09-23-2006, 07:45 PM
There are many good videos today from which you may choose. However, you said you don't want to concentrate on any one subject or style so how about something that can apply to all of them - an indepth study of color and compostion? With this 3 disk series, you can apply what you need to whatever you are painting. I'm suggesting Donna Aldridge's videos. I know several people who've seen and liked them. Including myself and my even better color educated sister (she had the good fortune to have had a college prof understand color theories in more than one way and he insisted his students learn them also.) She declared Donna's tapes one of the best, most easily understood presentations she has seen or heard since her college days. You can contact Donna through WC.

peggy

Bringer
09-23-2006, 08:57 PM
Hi,

I can't be of much help, but as for portraits, maybe I'd choose Daniel Greene.
However videos are very expensive for me to get one; at least a good one.
Have you set a price parameter on your choice ?
Since a video can go from 25 bucks to 60 or so. This if it's not a set.

Kind regards,

Josť

watergirl
09-23-2006, 11:38 PM
I recommend Greg Biolchini! He is very good and sounds perfect for your interests!