PDA

View Full Version : This could get me in trouble

Andun
09-22-2006, 06:04 AM
:o Hi again everyone:wave: I must be crazy! Only three months after starting painting and I am trying to do a portrait of my wife of all people.I hope she has a good sense of humor!:D If you have any ideas to help me out with this one I would really appreciate it.Thank you:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2006/84252-DSC00019.JPG
I am very sorry it is sideways.I don't know how to fix that.:confused:

Lulu
09-22-2006, 06:16 AM
well, I don't think she needs a sense of humour, you are doing well!! lovely lady. Skin tones are looking good.

Got a crick in my neck from turning sideways......................:D

EDIT: I saved your pic to rotate it and post again but can't find it now! lol Someone will fix it for you Anthony.

rmc
09-22-2006, 06:45 AM
Hi Anthony - - you are doing a lovely painting of your wife- it seems we share the same madness- I started painting in May and am painting my husband at the mo!
I find posting my progress to the good people here on wc helps me endlessly.
By the way I turned your painting around
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2006/83066-84252a-DSC00019.JPG.jpg

Andun
09-22-2006, 07:11 AM
G'day Lulu and RMC!
Thank you so much for turning my painting.I was getting a crick myself.Naomi is Japanese so I have been trying a lot of skin tones to match her natural tone and the cosmetics she loves so much.
She is wearing a Japanese summer Yukata which is used for festivals such as watching fireworks.I think I will use fireworks as the background.Good??
Tony

LisaArt
09-22-2006, 07:22 AM
Hi Anthony...nice to meet you...3 months painting...wow..I think your portrait is turning out jsut great! This is not laughing..matter..
I am impressed. I love what you are going to do to her kimona - those colours are beautiful...and I like her green eyeshadow... anxoius to see this finsihed! :)

screechin
09-22-2006, 10:19 AM
WOW! a portrait after only 3 months of painting!! i'm impressed!!! you're much braver than i am!!! you're doing a great job on it!! i can't wait to see it finished!! your wife must so proud.:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

denis44
09-22-2006, 10:46 AM
Several things strike me as helpful suggestions. You will need to begin expanding your palette in the skin tones, utilizing warm and cool colors to create depth and translucency.

If this were a drawing, the tonal range might be fine, but as a painting I suggest you get away from the "skin color" and begin bringing in translucent colors that come from underneath and surface colors that are reflected by light. You freely applied color in the blouse, some of it will pick up the new coloring in the face.

If you go on my site, the first pic that comes up amply demonstrates what I mean here. And don't be afraid to experiment and step out, most of my work has been a result of trying something new to me as well.

As to the facial structure, generally speaking the eyes are in the middle of the skull and the mouth is midway between the bottom of the nose and the jawline. Of course, this varies, but usually not by much.
website (http://www.denispeterson.com)

jeff m
09-22-2006, 10:56 AM
Tony,
Very nice portrait.
I like the pose and the positioning on the canvas.
I assume you are working from a pic.
Check the pic to see if her right nostril is visible, that's left as viewed.
Good luck with the ear (I hate those) you need a bit of shadow in there, careful not to make them too dark.

Are you sure you want fireworks as a background?

3chaway9
09-22-2006, 12:06 PM
Hi Tony :wave: ....nice beginning...i think a dark background with fireworks will be great :thumbsup: ....and you could echo the pattern on her top as it has a 'firework' shape IMO...looking forward to seeing your progress...

dreamz
09-22-2006, 12:27 PM
Ive been drawing and painting in one form or another most of my life and I still haven't done a portrait, the few pencil sketches Ive done haven't turned out favorably. You've made a great start, the biggest thing you need to face is skin tones and shadows. Hope the butterfly doesn;t turn into a dragonlady:lol: Good Luck!

TxAggieDarlin
09-22-2006, 01:03 PM
you are a brave soul LOL........This is really good and it would scare me to death to attempt this.........so YAY for you!!!

Andun
09-22-2006, 10:14 PM
:eek: Wow!!! So MANY comments:wave: Thank you so much folks.
Hi Lisa:wave: I have a friend here in Japan from Denmark,Frans Heising.Actually the dress is a Yukatta.A light cotton kimono style of clothing.Very light and breezy.:)
Hi Screechin and TxAggieDarlin:wave: I don't know if brave is the word as much a stupid comes to mind.:crying: I hope you are right Doc:wave: and the Dragonlady stays away from me.
Hi denis44:wave: What amazing art you do!!!:eek: Sad,poigniant but beautiful at the same time.Thank you very much for your advice.Is it possible to increase my range using acrylics?
Hi Jeff:wave: I just checked the photo again.I cannot see the other nostril.There is a lot of light reflecting off her face in the shot.Yes.I think I will go with the fireworks as the yukatta is worn on festival days so I think the dark background will make her jump out from the paper more plus the flashes of light will be interesting for me to try to capture.
Hi Carrie:wave: I'm gladd you approve of the background idea but it will be a challenge for me.:D
I have added a base for her hair last night so she looks younger now.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2006/84252-VFSH0041.JPG

objectivistartist
09-22-2006, 10:32 PM
Ah so....... :)

Robert

www.visioneerwindows.blogspot.com

ArtofAndrewDaniel
09-23-2006, 01:21 AM
I like the blouse. :)

Andun
09-23-2006, 03:28 AM
Hi Robert and Andrew.Do you have any ideas to help me to do this one better?
Tony

Nitsa
09-23-2006, 05:24 AM
Tony the first thing that strikes me so far is the eyelashes, these should be more of a linear gesture than individual strokes of paint. Personally I feel they ruin an excellent first attempt at portraiture and are worth spending more time on to rescue the wonderful job you have done with her features.
Study your photo again and paint what is there, not what you 'think' you see or are mentally programmed to see. ;)

Oh....and welcome to the acrylics froum!!! :wave:

Andun
09-24-2006, 06:48 AM
Hi Nitsa!
I see what you mean as I look at your own work.Unfortunately for me Naomi is Japanese and as such has very short and staright eyelashes which she curls and adds eyelash paint stuff to lengthen them and they look like individual hairs.
I will try again to improve the lashes.What have I been programmed to see?
Tony

Li'l Brown
09-24-2006, 05:41 PM
Hey Tony!
I understood what Nitsa meant about seeing what we are programmed to see. We KNOW people have eyelashes but in real life, unless we are up close and personal, we don't always see the eyelashes, they are just suggested by shadows. So, when we paint we can represent the eyelashes without painting individual lashes... oh God I've totally lost what I was trying to say... hope this might help but if not it's coming along super anyway!
(p.s. eyelash paint stuff = mascara, lol. Men!)

Cheers!
Jesslyn

Andun
09-24-2006, 08:21 PM
Hey Jesslyn,
Great to hear from you.How is everything in Nova Scotia? What part are you in? I've family in the Annapolis Valley.
Thanks for setting me straight on the "programming". I wasn't sure.By the way...Naomi saw it last night! She likes it!! I will not be killed for doing this portrait!! Yay Yay!!!!!!!
Tony

2bears
09-26-2006, 03:21 PM
so she looks younger now
This will keep you out of trouble :wink2:
Very nice portrait! From my own experience, don't use or mix with too much titaniium white paint in the skin tones, it gives off a chalky appearance.

Li'l Brown
09-27-2006, 07:10 PM
Hey Tony, I'm from Cape Breton but studying at StFX in Antigonish. You're missing an amazing fall over here.

Glad to hear your wife likes it and you'll be around to try another piece soon, ha ha. Are you all finished with this painting?

Jesslyn

chinalou
09-28-2006, 03:12 AM
I think this is a great first start, well done. Perhaps it would help if you posted the reference photo that you are using?

As for 'painting what you see' vs 'what you think you see'- an old tip i used to use if I thought my brain was taking over from my eyes is to turn the canvas and the ref pic upside down, and then continue painting. It helps you to paint only what you do see, and your brain will stop cutting into the process. It works better for drawing, but it still helps in painting.

Keep posting with your progress- I wanna see how this turns out.

Andun
09-28-2006, 03:22 AM
Hi 2bears:wave: I am safe there.She saw the painting and thought it was nice. No sofa for me!:clap:
Hi Jesslyn:wave: A Caper!!:thumbsup: I love Cape Breton.A grand spot filled with grander people! Yes girl.I have finished it for the time being.Here it is on the wall next to all the others I have done so far.A private collection.Hahahaha:D http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Sep-2006/84252-VFSH0044.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Sep-2006/84252-VFSH0045.JPG

rmc
09-28-2006, 05:32 AM
Great finish with the background fireworks effect- suits the painting - nice to see it framed

Mark Newton
09-28-2006, 05:33 AM
What a challenge. I'm nowhere near brave enough to do a portrait and especially not of the mrs..LOL..yeeesh. Looking good. The part that strikes me as most odd are the eyes, they dont seem quite aligned. One of the things that bothers me most about portraits, is the need to arrive at a pleasing balance, not an easy objective to achieve, you are doing a great job, keep at it.

2bears
09-28-2006, 08:10 PM
Say, that turned out quite lovely! Well done!

Andun
09-29-2006, 12:22 AM
Hi Chinalou.
That is a good idea.New perspective and new thinking.

Andun
09-29-2006, 12:27 AM
Hi Ruth,
I am so glad that you like the finished version.I am nowhere near you for portraits but it was a nice experiment.
Tony

Andun
09-29-2006, 12:30 AM
Hey Mark,
Your painting are amazing!!! You have simply got to try a portrait.It really was a nice change from the usual for me and choosing the mrs as the focus foreced me to to as good a job as I can at this early stage of my art.Give it a go mate!
Tony

Andun
09-29-2006, 12:33 AM
Hi Patricia 2Bears,
I am reaaly happy to hear that you like it.Maybe maybe maybe I will do another some day.
Tony

dreamz
09-29-2006, 01:31 AM
turned out great Tony , especially for your 1st portrait. What I notice most however is how loose you are with the strokes of color. Thats a definate plus!

P.S. we all have our private galleries (some of us just have more than others)

Andun
09-29-2006, 08:39 PM
:wave: Hi Doc!
I could "loosen up" doing this one.As opposed to the tight strokes of my boat paintings.:D How about you trying one now.Say a Christmas present for your wife to surprise her!
Tony